Appropriate Work Load

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Brain_Bugs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I just had a quick question regarding work load/credit hours. This last semester I ended up having to work approximately 60-70 hours per week and I had to take classes on top of that. Therefore I only took 12 credits. I ended up getting As in all of my classes, and I consider it a pretty big accomplishment to do well while working so much. I could definitely explain why I decided to take 12 instead of the usual 17-18 credits for that semester, but this next semester I was planning on studying for the MCAT and wanted to take a light course load again. If I took a light course load, I would have a lot of time to study and would feel much more confident trying to tackle it at that point. However, I'm concerned that taking only 12 credit hours for 2 semesters will look bad. I'm still putting in a lot of time into my school work/extracurricular activities, but that definitely won't be coming across through the transcript which is why I'm concerned.

Should I take some more credit hours this semester or do you think I'll be fine taking a light course load again in order to study for the MCAT? I would definitely appreciate any/all feedback and help! Thank you!!

Members don't see this ad.

This will not be an issue.

I think adcoms will probably understand.

As a side note. Adequetly studying during the semester is hard. A lot of people do it and are successful but there are more subjects this year. Tread carefully. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone,

I just had a quick question regarding work load/credit hours. This last semester I ended up having to work approximately 60-70 hours per week and I had to take classes on top of that. Therefore I only took 12 credits. I ended up getting As in all of my classes, and I consider it a pretty big accomplishment to do well while working so much. I could definitely explain why I decided to take 12 instead of the usual 17-18 credits for that semester, but this next semester I was planning on studying for the MCAT and wanted to take a light course load again. If I took a light course load, I would have a lot of time to study and would feel much more confident trying to tackle it at that point. However, I'm concerned that taking only 12 credit hours for 2 semesters will look bad. I'm still putting in a lot of time into my school work/extracurricular activities, but that definitely won't be coming across through the transcript which is why I'm concerned.

Should I take some more credit hours this semester or do you think I'll be fine taking a light course load again in order to study for the MCAT? I would definitely appreciate any/all feedback and help! Thank you!!

If you're not working as much as last semester, then 12 hours + mcat studying should be okay... but you have to be realistic about how much studying you can actually do along with your other studies/ECs/work. Might I recommend you do some hard-core reviewing during the winter so that you're allowed moderate levels of MCAT practice during the spring semester.

Hello everyone,

you worked 70 hours a week, did 12 credits of premed material, and still have premed EC's? Every time I go on this forum I feel like an underachiever. I feel as if most of the people on this forum BS what they exactly do.

Reactions: 1 users
I definitely wish I could say it was BS. Unfortunately it meant that I had a semester where I practically didn't see my friends/do anything fun whatsoever. For the most part, I'm pretty good at school work and can put in less time than expected and still do well. That's probably the only thing that saved me from crashing and burning that semester. Unfortunately, that meant that my school work had to give way, which is not something I want to do again. I can't tell you whether or not other people are BSing you though. You'll have to decide what you believe and why it matters to you for yourself.

But thank you guys for the feedback! I guess the general idea is that it'll be fine to take on the light course load as long as the MCAT gets enough attention? I definitely won't be working as much by the way, I got that issue taken care of!