April 2012 MCAT (April 5th or the 13th)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NNM

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is anyone taking MCAT on either of these dates? If yes, I am thinking about forming a group (I know it's a bit early, but hey, better to start early on this thing, right?), you can post questions and such any issue with the MCAT study.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I'm going to order the BR full lengths. The passages in their study books are working wonders for me. I'm pretty sure the full lengths would help as well.

Holy crap. This BR acids and bases chapter is kicking my butt. I may have to split it up into two days. Lol. Ok, well just needed to vent just a little. Hope everyone's studying is going well. :)

Holy crap. This BR acids and bases chapter is kicking my butt. I may have to split it up into two days. Lol. Ok, well just needed to vent just a little. Hope everyone's studying is going well. :)

When I get destroyed by passages, I usually check the answers to see how many I got wrong.

If it's too many for my liking, I don't review the answers. I'll go back, reread my notes, and redo the passages. Only after that will I review the answers. I often do way better the 2nd time around. I think it solidifies understanding better.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm planning on taking it on Apr 5th. is everyone here taking full load of classes this semester? how are you all handling the whole school vs. work vs. MCAT thing?

this is also a retake for me, the last time I took it was in August so I had the summer to study but I did badly because I was an idiot. this time, I feel like I have a better idea of things, but April is the middle of a semester so I'm a bit worried.

Hey! I'm also taking it April 5th (I've been on this site for a couple of years now but I'm actually going to be an active poster).

Have you guys started practicing Verbal? What're some of your tactics? I've started doing the Kaplan tests but...they're not really encouraging so I wanted to know what's a good method to practice.

and @qiyjia - it's not easy - I had the same problem. I had 22 units, a research job, an apartment who were way too social, and then MCAT studying. At a point, you have to drop at least a thing (preferably two). At that time, I dropped MCAT because I knew I wouldn't have time to do it. This sem, I'm only taking 8 units... quit my lab job since I was there for already 2 years, and kind of killed my social life. Let me know how it goes though - it's doable but it'll be tough. Just don't lose motivation and even though it seems like it's going to be a long three months - you only have to do this for the next few months and then after you can finally breathe =)

The passages, I did fine on. It was the reading that was getting to me. It was making me tired/sleepy. I had to step away from the book for about 30 min, go do something fun and then come back to finish reading the chapter. That seemed to help. :)

The passages, I did fine on. It was the reading that was getting to me. It was making me tired/sleepy. I had to step away from the book for about 30 min, go do something fun and then come back to finish reading the chapter. That seemed to help. :)

When I feel my attention starting to lapse, I'll get up and talk to a friend, check email, or something else. No point wasting time not giving a 100%. I just recharge for a few minutes and then hit it again for 20-30 mins and then take a mini break.

My breaks have started including scones. Need. To. Stop.

When I get destroyed by passages, I usually check the answers to see how many I got wrong.

If it's too many for my liking, I don't review the answers. I'll go back, reread my notes, and redo the passages. Only after that will I review the answers. I often do way better the 2nd time around. I think it solidifies understanding better.

I'm planning on taking it on Apr 5th. is everyone here taking full load of classes this semester? how are you all handling the whole school vs. work vs. MCAT thing?

this is also a retake for me, the last time I took it was in August so I had the summer to study but I did badly because I was an idiot. this time, I feel like I have a better idea of things, but April is the middle of a semester so I'm a bit worried.

I have a full time job. It's not easy. But I just push myself to study after work for at least 4-5 hours. While at work, I try to read the notes that I've taken when I did my content review. That seems to be helping when I do practice passages after work.

When I feel my attention starting to lapse, I'll get up and talk to a friend, check email, or something else. No point wasting time not giving a 100%. I just recharge for a few minutes and then hit it again for 20-30 mins and then take a mini break.

My breaks have started including scones. Need. To. Stop.

Yah. It is better to break and recharge than to try and force yourself to learn something when your brain is dead tired.

I have a full time job. It's not easy. But I just push myself to study after work for at least 4-5 hours. While at work, I try to read the notes that I've taken when I did my content review. That seems to be helping when I do practice passages after work.

Yup. Work full time here as well and study 3-5 hours after work.

I still have time to see my friends a few times a week. I've been breaking it down so I get through most of the readings over the weekend so I can do passages and review during the week. It means sitting down for 15-20 hrs over the weekend, but I go out after.
Work->reward=power through.

I'm one of those fools that feels guilty going out if I have work to do. It sucks because I'm miserable to be with if I'm still thinking about work when I'm out, so I take pity on my friends and just finish it before I go :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I have signed up for April 13 :scared:

A re-taker that is working full time and studying after work and weekends. So far, I don't know how to staregize, I feel like I get the concepts reading but when I do the passages, I am killed :( 3 month to get better. The big problem, what I study does not really stick as a whole picture...going to work on it

....but April is the middle of a semester so I'm a bit worried.

i'm sort of in the same boat. I seem to be working pretty hard and, not sure where I can cut corners, so if you hear any tips let me know and I'll do the same via this thread.

I am planning to take in April as well. This will be a re-take for me and I am currently working full time /: My weakest section was physical sciences, so Ive gotten a tutor and ordered Nova Physics.

If anyone else is using Nova physics, is there a specific way to use the book? Also, what kind of general chemistry book do you recommend? In the past I used exam krackers and I would like to get away from the 1001 books, I dont think they helped. Good luck to everyone!

Tried to send you a PM but not sure if it worked, I am in the Chicago area and sitting April 13th!

Anyone in the Chicago-Naperville area who can study together for the MCAT? If interested, please let me know.

Clearly, I don't know how to use SDN ha.. sorry. Anywho, I am in the Chicago area studying for the April 13- shoot me a PM if you want to get together

Just checked your message and thank you for responding. Finally someone in the Chicago area. I'm around Naperville, how do you want to work it out. I know we have limited time to prepare but still enough to kill the mcat. Waiting for your response.

April 5th!! Woot! Anyone else feeling nervous? I am starting to feel the pressure and kind of scared to take the FLs. Good luck everyone!

MEE. My goal was to finish content review by this weekend but that's definitely not happening. How are you studying? Finish reviewing the content?

I'm April 5th too. I'm so behind on content it's not even funny. Hopefully I can finish in the next three weeks or so, that way I can just do FLs. I now have a study buddy (or a few) and I'm taking a once-a-week MCAT science review course that runs for 3 hours each session.

As an aside: NOVA physics is a life-saver.

Ugh my practice exam sucked-
9BS
10V
7PS

I am nowhere near finishing content and I feel super discouraged, wondering if I should postpone my exam to May instead of 4/5..

Ugh my practice exam sucked-
9BS
10V
7PS

I am nowhere near finishing content and I feel super discouraged, wondering if I should postpone my exam to May instead of 4/5..

Here's the thing.

Hardest section to improve?
VR.

Your score: 10. Good.

Easiest section to improve?
PS.

Your score: 7. Okay baseline.

You'll go up a ton as you keep studying content and doing/reviewing passages.

Here's the thing.

Hardest section to improve?
VR.

Your score: 10. Good.

Easiest section to improve?
PS.

Your score: 7. Okay baseline.

You'll go up a ton as you keep studying content and doing/reviewing passages.

I sure hope so! :scared:

Yeah I got a freaking 24 on AAMC 11. 9 PS, 9 BS, 6 VR made me cry lol! :( got so much to study esp with school.. Sucks.

Same. I might quit one of my jobs soon, even though I love everyone I work with.

I actually just took the MCAT today and voided it...
I wish I could find someone who took the MCAT and remembers what questions were on it!

Ugh I might postpone. Spots in my area for April 28th have already filled up and May 12th is still open. I would rather be over-prepared than underprepared but I want to get my application out and finished as soon as possible. I feel like if I wait until May 12th to take my MCAT, the rest of my application is going to suffer. I just don't know. Working full-time sucks. Can I honestly raise a 26 diagnostic to a 32+ in two months studying maybe 15 hrs a week?

My third time taking this beast +pity+ I'm so excited to ace this test with all of you!!!

Last edited:
Last couple of days I've been "slacking a little" studying.....that is until I started reading the threads as of yesterday talking about how difficult this weekend's test was. I started again HARD today with the TBR carbohydrates chapter. This stuff just doesn't get any easier does it hahaha

As of lately, I've been getting alot of people talking to me about the test. When I tell them how much I'm studying they always say "oh that is WAAYYY too much you don't need that much, you're a really smart guy you are going to do great anyway"....I appreciate the compliments but it gets really irritating after awhile. It starts making me think "well, maybe I AM going to rock this" so I have to get on SDN and bring myself back down to a crushing reality. Any of you have convos with people like that?

I'm so behinddddd!

To those of you guys self-studying, are you following the SN2ed schedule? I actually find it difficult changing subjects every day instead of just finishing one subject and moving on to the next one.

Why the hell are you people taking aamc 11 as a baseline.

/facepalm

I second this (though he could have been nicer about it.. ;) ). Don't use the newest AAMC tests so early. You should save them for 2-3 weeks before the exam.

I held off hope that I wouldn't have to re-study for this, but the application Gods have not been kind, so here we go. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm so behinddddd!

To those of you guys self-studying, are you following the SN2ed schedule? I actually find it difficult changing subjects every day instead of just finishing one subject and moving on to the next one.

Yea I'm following Sn2's guide. I agree it is pretty hard to not just finish one book and move on. I understand the reasoning behind it but I feel like I'm going in about 50 directions. I also don't feel like I have had time to work on my weaknesses because I jump right into another chapter the next day (on another subject). I'm hoping that late February/ early March, I will have time to just do FL's and work on weak spots cause right now I'm still weak in area's I've BEEN weak in.

Is anyone interested in forming a study group where we can draw upon one another's strength and make up the deficiencies. Personally, I am doing better on science than verbal section. So, if anyone feels the opposite we can pair up and help each other out. We can either skype or text whatever that works. Let me know if you are down to this suggestion.

is anyone on this thread from california and want to switch to a may MCAT date?? i need to take it in april but all of the seats are filled up. please pm me!

anyone else freaking out and feel like they know nothing?![/QUOTE/]

I'm sure you know more than you think you do...after all, you've taken these classes already! The knowledge will come back with a little practice.

Take a deep breath, grab some caffeine, and plunge back into those books! (Well, that's my plan, at least) :)

To those using Sn2 3 month schedule, what days are you on? On day 40 over here and taking it april 5th

Today i reviewed my 2nd 1/3 of BR chap 6 for all chapters. When i review i like to try the problems again before looking at the answers in the back. It seems like most of the time i get the answer right the 2nd time around and I know the mistake I made on the first attempt (usually a stupid one) almost instantaneously. I like getting the answer right the 2nd time but I get pissed at myself for making the stupid mistake on the first go 'round.....i gotta fix that cause I dont get 2 shots at the same MCAT..

Anyone from the SF Bay Area (East Bay specifically) looking for a study partner? I'm taking the April 13 test.

Hey guys, Im in the NY area if anyone wants to meet up and study. Im taking the end of April test. Gd luck all!

Yaaay non trads! It makes me all warm and fuzzy knowing there are many of you out there taking the test with me.

I took the test about 4 years ago and did okay (28) but now I decided what I want to do after some world traveling and working the 9-5 life in medical research.

I started studying in December for the April 15th test. It is tough when you have a full time job, girlfriend, cooking and cleaning duties as well as make time for fun.

I have used AAMC CBT 3,4,5 for just practice questions taking them not like full lengths.. I took the AAMC CBT 7 two weeks ago and got a 33, and AAMC CBT 8 this past weekend and got a 35. I hope I do that well on the actual thing.

Cheers

JUST signed up.. Was a january test taker, but didn't take.. wasn't ready. Where is everyone at? I'm somewhat on track, except for lovely O-chem!

I got a week and half left of content then doing practice tests, BUT I've been neglecting doing passages=(. Everyone's reaction when I say I'm going to take it on Friday the 13th is bad lol.

There's some thread on here that refers to mike's verbal strategy, it's sort of along the lines with ek strategy but refers to going back to the passage much more often which keeps you tight on time, but I've found it more helpful. I ended up trying it out for some of the ek101 passages and jumped from 6-7 to 9-10. I took my first full length last week and ended up with a 10 on the vr section. It might be too small a sample size to know for sure, but I think I'm going to keep trying it out. I feel a little less stressed now about verbal but am seriously stressing over the ps and bs. Definitely am just going to do as many problems as I can in these last 30 days.

There's some thread on here that refers to mike's verbal strategy, it's sort of along the lines with ek strategy but refers to going back to the passage much more often which keeps you tight on time, but I've found it more helpful. I ended up trying it out for some of the ek101 passages and jumped from 6-7 to 9-10. I took my first full length last week and ended up with a 10 on the vr section. It might be too small a sample size to know for sure, but I think I'm going to keep trying it out. I feel a little less stressed now about verbal but am seriously stressing over the ps and bs. Definitely am just going to do as many problems as I can in these last 30 days.

I used Mikes too but the verbal on the FL caught me off guard since they weren't just 4 paragraphs; wasn't the exact format as TPR or Ek