Apts around Scholl college

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doclm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I am probably looking too soon, but I was wondering where there is good apts around Scholl in North Chicago? I am willing to drive 15 min, and was wondering if there were any suburbs in that vicinity that house better deals on apts. I understand that Forest Lake is probably an expensive area to live in. How about a city called Gurnee (excuse my spelling), which is north of the campus? Thanks for your input. :thumbup:

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Members don't see this ad.

As far as apartments around campus go:

Lake Bluff, IL:
Forest Pointe and Deer Valley.

North Chicago, IL:
The Woodlands are right next to campus but they are now being sold as condos. You might be able to find someone that will be renting one of those out. And of course the apartments on campus.

Waukegan, IL:
Northgate

A little further away:

Gurnee, IL:
AMLI at Osprey
Woodlake
Pembrook

Lindenhurst/Lake Villa, IL:
Mallard Ridge
Sanctuary of Lake Villa (this is where I live! If your interested PM me and I may be able to get you a good deal since my fiance is a leasing agent for the complex)
Water's Edge

There are seemingly hundreds of choices within 10 to 15 miles of campus. Besides apartments you can usually find homes for rent, townhouses for rent, coach houses for rent or as previously mentioned condos for rent. Then there is always the apartments that aren't advertised.

Some other towns to check out within reasonable distances:

South of Campus:
Vernon Hills, IL
Lake Forest, IL
Highland Park, IL (???)

West of Campus:
Libertyville, IL
Mundelein, IL (I know the Mayor!)
Grayslake, IL
Round Lake and Round Lake Beach, IL

North of Campus:
Zion, IL
Wadsworth, IL
Kenosha, WI

Another note: Metra's Union Pacific District North (UP-N) commuter rail line connects Kenosha, WI to downtown Chicago. Rosalind Franklin runs a shuttle van between the local train stop on this line (Lake Bluff station) and the campus. This makes for many more opportunities (possibly thousands!!!) if you are willing to ride the train to get to class.

What should we expect to pay for a 1-bedroom apartment?

Members don't see this ad :)
stacyij said:

I just went through all this and found most of the stuff in the Gurnee/Lake Bluff area to be over $600. You MIGHT find something in the high 500's but good luck. I settled on a place in downtown Waukegan (yeah its a really ghetto town but all my neighbors are old and very nice) that is a 10 min drive from campus. I'm paying $560 with heat/water included for a large one bedroom but this is unlikely as I negotiated either a studio or one bedroom at the studio price. The place is called Madison West Aprtments and can be found on rent.com (by the way, rent.com gave me $100 for finding the apartment through them) Good luck!

stacyij said:

According to my sources 700 to 800.

I just wanted to add that there is a nice apt. complex about 7 minutes from Scholl that no one had previously mentioned. It is Northern Crossing Apts. I live there and it is VERY nice. Rent is reasonable compared to all the other places nearby. If you are looking for security, it is gated. They also will give special rates to Scholl students.

TeamSkene's said:
I just went through all this and found most of the stuff in the Gurnee/Lake Bluff area to be over $600. You MIGHT find something in the high 500's but good luck. I settled on a place in downtown Waukegan (yeah its a really ghetto town but all my neighbors are old and very nice) that is a 10 min drive from campus. I'm paying $560 with heat/water included for a large one bedroom but this is unlikely as I negotiated either a studio or one bedroom at the studio price. The place is called Madison West Aprtments and can be found on rent.com (by the way, rent.com gave me $100 for finding the apartment through them) Good luck!
This guy (TeamSkene's) is an ass and you can't really listen to what he says. Living on campus is nice, but pretty expensive. A one bedroom apartment is about $900/month, and it comes with internet. TV situation sucks because you have to get DirecTV if you want anything other than antenna, and it's about $150 to get started and you have to sign a one year contract. Also, the internet sucks because the firewall is pretty strict.

AnalBeads said:
This guy (TeamSkene's) is an ass and you can't really listen to what he says. Living on campus is nice, but pretty expensive. A one bedroom apartment is about $900/month, and it comes with internet. TV situation sucks because you have to get DirecTV if you want anything other than antenna, and it's about $150 to get started and you have to sign a one year contract. Also, the internet sucks because the firewall is pretty strict.

HAHAHAHHAHAHHAH That was hilarious dude... nice sn

AnalBeads said:

Well maybe this "dude" (IF he really does have a penis which is still in question) would realize that he lives in a hotel if he took the time to remove his head from his anus.

P.S. I can't wait find out who all you scholl folks are this fall....especially you doclm

TeamSkene's said:
Well maybe this "dude" (IF he really does have a penis which is still in question) would realize that he lives in a hotel if he took the time to remove his head from his anus.

:laugh:

P.S. I can't wait find out who all you scholl folks are this fall....especially you doclm

Thanks,

I am really looking forward to getting back to school. Waiting 7 months from now seems way too long. For now, I am brushing up on my Biochem and Anatomy.

Also, I am looking forward to meeting some of you from SDN. By the way, is this your first year? And what location "state/city" are you from?
Feel free to PM me.

TeamSkene's said:

Sounds like a inter-scholl brawl going on up in here. Dont let any of us stop you. As the referee of MTV's "Celebrity Death Match" would say, "Let's get it on!".

I was at TeamSkene's apartment in ghetto-ass waukegan the other day (by the way, don't live there unless you are a card carrying member of the NRA) and he left his butt plug laying out. I hope that damages his credibility in your opinions of him.

AnalBeads said:
I was at TeamSkene's apartment in ghetto-ass waukegan the other day (by the way, don't live there unless you are a card carrying member of the NRA) and he left his butt plug laying out. I hope that damages his credibility in your opinions of him.

Your username is AnalBeads and you're asking us to judge someone's butt plug?

footloose said:
Your username is AnalBeads and you're asking us to judge someone's butt plug?

nice....Analbeads is like a man-sized child

doclm said:
Hello,

I am probably looking too soon, but I was wondering where there is good apts around Scholl in North Chicago? I am willing to drive 15 min, and was wondering if there were any suburbs in that vicinity that house better deals on apts. I understand that Forest Lake is probably an expensive area to live in. How about a city called Gurnee (excuse my spelling), which is north of the campus? Thanks for your input. :thumbup:

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Really the best alternative to on campus housing is the Woodlands. The apts are literally a 2 minute walk from campus (same distance as campus housing!)

Except those 2 minutes are on a nice trail through the trees instead of a crowded parking lot. The floor plans are great. I am paying $490/mo for half of a dual entry 2 bdrm/2 bth apt. (not including utilities)

but don't forget that the woodlands units are all for sale as $200,000 condos. IMO, not worth it. I'm assuming most of them will be rented out though and not occupied by their owners. Maybe owner's kids.