Archiving LORs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wetfart

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do you guys usually get your LORs? I'm starting my postbacc this fall, but I don't anticipate being ready to apply for med school until the June 2018 or 2019 cycle. So I don't want to be asking in 2018 for a LOR from a professor I had in 2015 and I might not be too fresh in their mind at that point.

Could I get a LOR from one of my Fall 2015 professors and archive it using something like Interfolio until my application cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

You sure can. Tell them your plans. Both my letters were from classes a couple years prior to my application, but they were more than happy to write them and update them.

I applied in 2014. I asked professor from Spring 2012 for a letter. Explained my background: nontrad, getting letters will be tough since I didn't take sciences in undergrad. I had an extended timeline because I was working fulltime and doing 48 hours. He wrote it, submitted it to a premed committee. I chose not to use the committee, kept in contact with him once or twice a semester, and he updated it and sent it to Interfolio. All my updates were short and sweet: hope all is well, would you still be willing to update the letter? If so, my grades are XYZ.

I used my pathophysiology professor, who I took a class with in the fall of 2010. I knew that person professionally, academically, and personally though so the letter I got from that professor really covered 5 years of a ton of stuff.

Try hard to have them write an initial one, and then have them update it. I got As in both their classes, and with the exception of O-Chem I got As in all my other science classes. So I didn't give them reason to need to change the letter...