Are 3 LORs enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Henry101

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
As some of you know, I am applying a little late in the cycle. I was able to get 3 faculty LORs in Interfolio so far and plan on transferring them to AMCAS soon (2 science + 1 humanities professors). They should all be moderately strong because they are from professors that I have worked with for a while. I will be submitting secondaries mid/late August.

I was wondering if 3 LORs are enough? All of the MD schools I am applying to ask for 3 at a minimum but, of course, I recognize that most students probably submit many, many more than that. I guess, if I rushed it, I could grab one more science faculty LOR or a letter from a nurse that ran the hospital internship I participated in. They wouldn't be as strong as my other 3 letters and I would be rushing the professors to complete them.

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What added value do you think a rushed, tepid letter would provide to your application?

To be completely honest, probably very little. But, the thought of doing the bare minimum for anything repulses me.
I know, I know. I should've thought of that way in advance.
I just want to put my best face on for schools.

Members don't see this ad :)
To be completely honest, probably very little. But, the thought of doing the bare minimum for anything repulses me.
I know, I know. I should've thought of that way in advance.
I just want to put my best face on for schools.

So given what you have just told me, what do you think you should do?

So given what you have just told me, what do you think you should do?

Stop being paranoid, count my blessing for even getting this far, and keep pre-writing secondaries while sipping on cold milk?

Reactions: 3 users
Stop being paranoid, count my blessing for even getting this far, and keep pre-writing secondaries while sipping on cold milk?
Por qué no soy milk

Edit: dat Spanish grammar hard

Last edited:
Duke and Quinnipiac want 4. Jefferson also wants 4, with one coming from a biology, chemistry, physics, and humanities professor.

For most other schools, three is enough.

Yeah some schools require 4. Some schools also require some from your department specifically, for example Jefferson and NYmc.

Just a heads up be sure to check their website before you send in your secondaries. It would be such a bummer sending in a secondary and getting rejected for not having a required letter, which happened to a lot of my friends. It's a waste of your time and $$$$ and their time as well.

If you have any valuable ECs a letter from that would be great too!

(2 science + 1 humanities professors)

All schools that I'm aware require 1-2 letters written by your science faculty, which you're golden on. SOME schools require a unique one. For example, I think NOVA requires a LoR written by a DO, though they do make exceptions and/or accommodations where this isn't possible for an applicant.

tl;dr - You're most likely all set. However, read about the required letters for each school you're applying to. If you don't meet their requirements, FIRST call them and ask if they can accommodate you. This is usually done through an additional interview by someone in their faculty. If they cannot, THEN ask for the weak LoR that you mentioned.

Thank you everyone for your responses. I really appreciate it.