Are all accredited medical schools good?

nysegop

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the US (not Caribbean or anywhere else) are all accredited medical schools good? Will you be able to have a good medical career graduating from any of them?

Members don't see this ad.

for the most part, yes.

You may not be able to work wherever you want, but you'll still be a US trained MD.

Members don't see this ad :)
I somehow understood the thread title as "Are all good medical schools accredited?" and just thought the trolling had gotten very lazy.

In the US (not Caribbean or anywhere else) are all accredited medical schools good? Will you be able to have a good medical career graduating from any of them?

Depends on what you mean by good.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

So all are at least decent even if you don't get into a top tier such as Mayo or Johns Hopkins?

Okay good. Is there any point in going to a not accredited medical school or would that be completely useless? Are there actually any non-acredited med schools?

So all are at least decent even if you don't get into a top tier such as Mayo or Johns Hopkins?

All are "decent" in the sense that you'll be a US-trained physician with his choice of specialty, more or less. However all schools are not created equal depending on your career goals.

Okay good. Is there any point in going to a not accredited medical school or would that be completely useless? Are there actually any non-acredited med schools?

Utterly useless, but fortunately all US DO and MD schools are accredited. By accredited, I am stretching it to include "recognized" by the US or parts of it. For example, I don't believe that some schools like SGU and Ross are "accredited" by a the same organization that governs US schools, but they are legally recognized in the US and therefore their students can apply for residency/licenses after residency.

Based on your post history you are also interested in Caribbean schools. I'd sooner go Caribbean than an unacctedited "medical school"

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
All are "decent" in the sense that you'll be a US-trained physician with his choice of specialty, more or less. However all schools are not created equal depending on your career goals.

Well said (I think). So "medical schools" aren't medical schools unless they are accredited.

Well said (I think). So "medical schools" aren't medical schools unless they are accredited.

That's the way I would look at it. I would also throw Caribbean schools into a separate category as well. They're "accredited," but they aren't even in the same class as US accredited schools in terms of putting you in a position to get the residency that you want.

You really need to learn how to google and common sense

I know how to use google. I don't appreciate the personal attacks. This is a place where I come for information, not harassment.

They are all like cars. Some are really expensive and will impress your friends and the others aren't quite so much but realistically they will all get you to where you want to go. There are other factors like how hard you work but you get the idea.

They are all like cars. Some are really expensive and will impress your friends and the others aren't quite so much but realistically they will all get you to where you want to go. There are other factors like how hard you work but you get the idea.

Good analogy.

Moving thread to hSDN. Those who wish to continue the discussion can follow there. A number of medical and college students read pre-allo, so your questions should still be readily answered. Welcome to SDN OP!

Yeow, I like it.

You will find far more similarities in schools than differences. Big name places can open doors for you when applying to residency, but I doubt the education you receive at these big names places is drastically different than less competitive schools. My two cents.