Are all Rx drugs considered DEA Controlled Substances

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rupert H

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This question has been bugging me for a long time. My educated guess is "no" because Rx ointments, for example, are not abusable. But I would like to confirm this.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hang on, some states do have a "Schedule VI" which makes all Rx drugs controlled substances that are not already in DEA schedules I-V.

This question has been bugging me for a long time. My educated guess is "no" because Rx ointments, for example, are not abusable. But I would like to confirm this.

As I've learned by working in the ghetto before, anything is "abusable". Including mouthwash and hand sanitizer :smuggrin:

Really? lol. oxycodone is a c-II controlled substance. Wouldn't mess around with that. Most drugs are not dea controlled. Ex blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, any OTC meds, diabetic meds. etc. They may not be controlled by the dea, but they still require a prescription to have besides OTCs. Most controlled substances are ones that are likely to be highly addictive and abused.

Members don't see this ad :)
Really? lol. oxycodone is a c-II controlled substance. Wouldn't mess around with that. Most drugs are not dea controlled. Ex blood pressure meds, cholesterol meds, any OTC meds, diabetic meds. etc. They may not be controlled by the dea, but they still require a prescription to have besides OTCs. Most controlled substances are ones that are likely to be highly addictive and abused.

Oh sorry, we just dispense so much oxycodone that I get it confused with Skittles.

Harrowing, isn't it? people drinking hand sanitizer and mouthwash....

There was an article not too long ago on CNN or yahoo that talked about children in school drinking hand sanitizer to get drunk. Then there was the articles talking about girls soaking tampons in alcohol and then using them. Though that one kinda baffled me, as I would think that would burn like hell, but who knows. People will do stupid things to get a buzz, as in the choking game, aerosol huffing, or pretty much any other ******ed activity kids do to use legal products to get a buzz off of.

No.

However, I've seen a nursing pharmacology textbook state that they all are.

Well the question WAS: Are all Rx drugs considered DEA Controlled Substances? So we're talking federal law.
All states have their own controlled substance laws so that they can deal with them with their own LEOs and judicial systems, so I would never consider federal DEA laws on their own.

The state with a Schedule VI that makes all Rx drugs controlled substances is Massachusetts.

All states have their own controlled substance laws so that they can deal with them with their own LEOs and judicial systems, so I would never consider federal DEA laws on their own.

The state with a Schedule VI that makes all Rx drugs controlled substances is Massachusetts.

The answer to the question "are all drugs DEA controlled substances?" is no. All drugs are not controlled by the DEA.

Oh sorry, we just dispense so much oxycodone that I get it confused with Skittles.

dog_oh_god_mah_balls.jpg

maybe you meant to say "dangerous" drugs

Tylenol is a dangerous drug and it is OTC...

There are lots of drugs I would consider dangerous that are not controlled substances.

I know, I meant to say substitute dangerous drugs for dea controlled

the question would make more sense with dangerous drugs

There was an article not too long ago on CNN or yahoo that talked about children in school drinking hand sanitizer to get drunk. Then there was the articles talking about girls soaking tampons in alcohol and then using them. Though that one kinda baffled me, as I would think that would burn like hell, but who knows. People will do stupid things to get a buzz, as in the choking game, aerosol huffing, or pretty much any other ******ed activity kids do to use legal products to get a buzz off of.

On my last rotation, we found out that some patients were crushing and smoking antiretrovirals to get high!!