Are any Rite Aid pharmacist worried about being laid off? 3000 stores to close after merger

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBonita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I read this article a while ago.

http://fortune.com/2015/11/05/walgreens-rite-aid-store-closings/

The article states walgreens could close 3000 stores after the merger. That was back in 11/2015. I been following the merger and hear from the news that the merger is not proceeding because they are having issues deciding which stores to close and how many people to lay off. Does anyone have actual numbers because I am curious and also which stores are closing? Are any Rite Aid pharmacist worried about being laid off? I know a couple people who work at Rite Aid and love it.

Members don't see this ad.

I heard 1000 stores. 3000 sounds a little not realistic. Isn't it ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

when RiteAid purchased Eckerd, it was a bad deal and they resulted in huge debts. today Walgreens is entering into the same bad deal. not only it has to pay $17bil, they have to close up 500-1,000 stores. its stocks are likely to go downhill once merger completes.

Members don't see this ad :)
when RiteAid purchased Eckerd, it was a bad deal and they resulted in huge debts. today Walgreens is entering into the same bad deal. not only it has to pay $17bil, they have to close up 500-1,000 stores. its stocks are likely to go downhill once merger completes.
def not a bad deal if it goes through , this would let them compete vs cvs / caremark on a much closer level. it is not just about qty of stores and script count any more, its all about the behind the scenes shady **** aka reimbursement. and between the extra negotiating power this would give them plus a little pbm action that rite aid owns they would benefit huge. now for us independent stores each step of consolidation is another nail in the coffin. In a perfect world this merger gets denied and then they revisit the cvs/caremark merger and undo that sh t fest oh yea im dreaming

Rite Aid has about 4000 stores, they aren't going to close 3/4s of all the stores

3000 has to be wrong, as others have stated. wag can't be that nuts to sign up for that. you guys sure RAD hasn't started the layoff process?? In my district, a few techs have been let go. These techs had been with the company for many years too.

3000 has to be wrong, as others have stated. wag can't be that nuts to sign up for that. you guys sure RAD hasn't started the layoff process?? In my district, a few techs have been let go. These techs had been with the company for many years too.
This merger does NOT impact ground level peons, you still need slaves to run the store. VP and higher up should be worried about their jobs. They don't need 2 ceos, 2 director, multiple senior vps, 2 headquarters.

They do need to divest some of the stores, so you'll be looking to work for indy or CVS if they divest your store.

In a situation like this, Walgreens might not be legally allowed to just close the stores. They might have to sell them. The people who are most effected by this are middle management because there is no golden parachute for them. The upper management get packages when they leave.

This merger does NOT impact ground level peons, you still need slaves to run the store. VP and higher up should be worried about their jobs. They don't need 2 ceos, 2 director, multiple senior vps, 2 headquarters.

They do need to divest some of the stores, so you'll be looking to work for indy or CVS if they divest your store.
:happy: the tech startup I interviewed for gave me an offer. i'm over healthcare. My store is up the street from another rite aid. there is also a wags nearby. somebody has to go and I have a bad feeling. so I decided to start looking around. startups aren't necessarily safe and are risky, but I am looking to have my own company so this is a learning experience for me.

Wags bought Duane Reade in NYC though a while back and the stores are still across from each other and on every corner. Haha.

Walgreed and CVS**** run the show

Saaad