Are AOA-approved internships still a thing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MedicineMike

MS4
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm aware that previously you had to do an AOA internship if you do a residency in a select few states. Is this still in effect?

For example, if I do an ACGME residency in PA, do I have to do an AOA internship, or can I do am ACGME internship?

MS4

Members don't see this ad.

Technically they are still required, but its been suggested that this will change in the future. That said, even now you can do an ACGME internship, but you'll have to apply through Res. 42 to get it approved as AOA equivalent.

Also, to be clear, you don't need it for doing residency in PA (you can get the temporary license for that without an AOA internship as far as I know), but you will need it if you plan to apply for a permanent license in PA (again, for now at least).

So it only affects me if I plan on practicing in PA (or Fl, etc) after residency?

Shouldn't the AOA/ACGME merger fix this?

MS4

So it only affects me if I plan on practicing in PA (or Fl, etc) after residency?

Shouldn't the AOA/ACGME merger fix this?

MS4

Yeah, you only need that if you are trying to get a permanent license in the states that require it. Obviously double check on this with the state DO board, but this is what I have been told by others and how I understand the rules to be in PA.

The merger should fix this, but its up to state DO boards to change their rules, which is not really tied to the merger, so nothing has changed yet.