Are international schools actually easier to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PreVetGator

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was reading some threads, and people tell candidates with low GPA's to apply overseas. I can't seem to find any admission/class profiles to see what the GPA is for the overseas schools, so I was wondering if anyone had information.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I guess the short answer is yes, they tend to. But just because you have a lower GPA doesn't guarantee you an acceptance. People primarily choose these schools either because they do offer a more holistic view of an applicant than stateside schools or they just do GPA calculations differently.

It's important to know that the cost of these schools is usually pretty high, and not all of them are accredited, which can make getting licensure to practice in the states very difficult and requires more expensive exams in addition to the NAVLE.

Members don't see this ad :)
um...maybe sort of? it used to be the case, but the spots have become more competitive with accreditation. i think more and more people are being admitted to the foundations programs if they are less competitive.

Reactions: 1 user
I can't speak to GPA, I had a 3.9, so okay, but when I applied to 5 schools, 4 US and 1 international, I only got into the international one. I decided to take a year off because the more vets and other people in the field I talked to, most people did not regard these schools as highly. I would think for the very reason that they accept more students that others don't.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I can't speak to GPA, I had a 3.9, so okay, but when I applied to 5 schools, 4 US and 1 international, I only got into the international one. I decided to take a year off because the more vets and other people in the field I talked to, most people did not regard these schools as highly. I would think for the very reason that they accept more students that others don't.

Vet school admissions are NOT only based off of GPA. :bang::bang:

Reactions: 5 users

I've heard veterinary students completely bash island schools, and I've heard seasoned DVMs say they were very impressed by the graduates from those schools. I've never actually heard the reverse. Not saying that there aren't DVMs out there that would diss the schools, but I've met a few Ross DVMs and I think they're great. Some of these schools are accredited by the very accrediting body that approves the US schools. Also, why apply to a school that you feel doesn't have a good reputation? Seems like a waste of time and money.

I had heard lots of good things about it but when I was accepted I felt like I hadn't looked enough into them and I should have. It was a waste of money. I'm not saying they are bad schools I was just stating what I had heard and the decision I made.

I think that for the right student, who is going into the situation with eyes open, the island schools are a great way to get from point A to point B. For the student who goes and thinks it will be "easier," or is unwilling to be flexible with the way of life in another country, or is unprepared for the rigor of a veterinary program, it isn't going to work out. I know people who have attended island schools, and I know people who have failed out of island schools. If you are willing to put in the work and sacrifice, and an offshore school is the only one that will take a chance on you, then there is no reason that you can't go there and become an amazing vet. But - like any other school - if you show up expecting it to be easy, you're not going to be happy.

I've heard veterinary students completely bash island schools, and I've heard seasoned DVMs say they were very impressed by the graduates from those schools. I've never actually heard the reverse. Not saying that there aren't DVMs out there that would diss the schools, but I've met a few Ross DVMs and I think they're great. Some of these schools are accredited by the very accrediting body that approves the US schools. Also, why apply to a school that you feel doesn't have a good reputation? Seems like a waste of time and money.
The best vet I've ever worked with is a Ross grad :love:

I think what jmo said is pretty accurate. You still need to be competitive to get admission directly into Term 1 of the vet school, but if you aren't as competitive as most of the other applicants they will most likely put you into Foundations. In my situation, I was told by the US schools I applied to that I had competitive GPA and GRE scores, but was lacking in diversified experience (my experiences were 95% small animal). SGU and Ross are more willing to take chances on students that other schools are not for whatever reasons made them less competitive, but I must say that my class as a whole here is brilliant.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I was reading some threads, and people tell candidates with low GPA's to apply overseas. I can't seem to find any admission/class profiles to see what the GPA is for the overseas schools, so I was wondering if anyone had information.

Thanks

Which overseas schools?........getting into RVC in England will be very different than getting in to the University of Abjua in Nigeria.

SGU and Ross are more willing to take chances on money from students than other schools are not for whatever reasons made them less competitive, but I must say that my class as a whole here is brilliant.

Sorry, I'm just a bitter soon-to-be grad that is fed up with the market saturation.

Reactions: 2 users
Sorry, I'm just a bitter soon-to-be grad that is fed up with the market saturation.

I mean, I guess. You could say that about schools in the US too that are increasing their class sizes unnecessarily. As I've argued before, I think this is a problem the AVMA needs to be working on; if you leave it up to the individual schools, of course they are going to do what makes them more money.

I mean, I guess. You could say that about schools in the US too that are increasing their class sizes unnecessarily. As I've argued before, I think this is a problem the AVMA needs to be working on; if you leave it up to the individual schools, of course they are going to do what makes them more money.
Agreed. But no other US school is churning out 300 grads per year like Ross.

FWIW, the stigma about island grads is dissipating. I've been nothing but impressed with the Ross students at MSU- they're just as intelligent and competent as our students, they're kind, and they are treated no different by attendings/residents/interns. If you put in the work, you will get a great education at Ross (I'm sure the same goes for SGU- I just don't have any opinions as we only take Ross students).

Agreed. But no other US school is churning out 300 grads per year like Ross.

True, at least SGU only has two classes per year. I heard a rumor that SGU is cutting it down to one class a year but who knows how true that is.

Hmm now that would be very interesting. There would have to be a lot of big changes if that were the case.

It would be indeed. But again... Rumor haha. No clue where this rumor originated from either so who knows.

I'm getting a little tired of the "golly gee, people diss Ross, but every student from there I see is just super wonderful with stars floating around their head, a rainbow landing at their feet, and puppies and kittens following in their wake everywhere they go!"

I have seen some awesome Ross students/grads, and I've seen some incredibly crappy Ross students/grads.

Just like any other school, from UCD to UMN to UF to Western to wherever.

And I hate how Ross uses their pre-vet-school program to dredge up more money from people that have already DONE all the pre-requisite work. It's almost criminal, in my mind, given the already ridiculous cost of a vet education. But that doesn't really have any bearing on the quality of vet they produce.

As a footnote: I've never seen anything but great students from SMU. They really actually might have rainbows over their head. (I originally said SGU. Mistake. SMU is the one with a tiny class size, right?)

Last edited:
I'm getting a little tired of the "golly gee, people diss Ross, but every student from there I see is just super wonderful with stars floating around their head, a rainbow landing at their feet, and puppies and kittens following in their wake everywhere they go!"

I have seen some awesome Ross students/grads, and I've seen some incredibly crappy Ross students/grads.

Just like any other school, from UCD to UMN to UF to Western to wherever.

And I hate how Ross uses their pre-vet-school program to dredge up more money from people that have already DONE all the pre-requisite work. It's almost criminal, in my mind, given the already ridiculous cost of a vet education. But that doesn't really have any bearing on the quality of vet they produce.

As a footnote: I've never seen anything but great students from SMU. They really actually might have rainbows over their head. (I originally said SGU. Mistake. SMU is the one with a tiny class size, right?)

That's interesting, yes SMU has tiny class sizes but they are not accredited.

That's your experience, and you're entitled to that. No reason to belittle mine.

Last edited:
There were a bunch of SGU people at my school for clinical year. The vast majority were great. There were 1-2 students that struggled more, but I suspect that is the same about every US school. I haven't had the best experiences with Ross grads, but my sample size is small. I suspect that they are relatively the same, as well.

Yup.....I have problems with Ross, but the problems aren't about the quality of their grads.

That's your experience, and you're entitled to that. No reason to belittle mine.
I'm not LIS, but I don't think he was trying to belittle anybody. And I can kind of see where he's coming from. Sometimes it seems like people kind of overly gush over Ross and SGU students because they're trying so hard to avoid the stereotype. I think LIS was just pointing out that there's good and bad students out of all programs.

Reactions: 3 users