are internships difficult to get if IMG enlists?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bagheera

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I am new to military medicine so forgive my ignorance. From what I understand, even if you are US IMG that is ECFMG certifed, you cannot just enlist in the military and expect to get a residency. But how about internships? are they competitive to get? Could an US IMG enlist in military, do a 1 year internship, and do a GMO to make him more competitive for military residency while also applying for civilian PGY-2 residency? Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I am new to military medicine so forgive my ignorance. From what I understand, even if you are US IMG that is ECFMG certifed, you cannot just enlist in the military and expect to get a residency. But how about internships? are they competitive to get? Could an US IMG enlist in military, do a 1 year internship, and do a GMO to make him more competitive for military residency while also applying for civilian PGY-2 residency? Thank you

US IMG graduates are not eligible to do military internships.

That, and you don't enlist as a physician (at least if you expect to do medical type things), and your post shows complete ignorance of military GME. Then again, you don't qualify so it's moot.

Sorry for the tone. I generally have a very low opinion of milmed, but when someone thinks of it as a bottom tier last chance-type of training, it even makes me mad

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks for the reply.

That, and you don't enlist as a physician (at least if you expect to do medical type things), and your post shows complete ignorance of military GME. Then again, you don't qualify so it's moot.

Sorry for the tone. I generally have a very low opinion of milmed, but when someone thinks of it as a bottom tier last chance-type of training, it even makes me mad

Thanks for the reply also. I never thought of it as a bottom of the tier last chance type of training. So dont get mad. I am applying to the match this year, and I was just seeing what my options were that is all. It is not clearly stated anywhere the rules for this type of thing, and I did a search regarding internship in the military on this forum and could not come up with anything. Thanks again.

You cannot do an internship in the military as an IMG. However, if you secure a civilian internship in the US you can come in that way afterwards. After you finish an internship and have an unrestricted license you could potentially join the military as a GMO.