Are just the prereqs enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lgg926

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am about to start taking my prereqs for MD post bacc. My background was communications. Wimpy, I know, but I'm not complaining about the 3.9 GPA I got out of it. My question is, do schools give more credit to applicants who have taken the prereqs plus more advanced biology classes, chemistry classes, etc?
The reason I ask is because I'm trying to structure my class schedule and decide whether I should tack on another year of classes so I can not only space the prereqs out more, but also take a few more sciences other than just the prereqs.
So, do you think it matters? Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Members don't see this ad.

With such a great GPA, I don't think it matters. Doing well on the pre-reqs is critical though - so you may want to space them out anyway, depending on if you are working at the same time.

for me to be well prepared for the mcat took add'l courses -- a&p (at least the physiology portion of this) and cell/molecular biology. Maybe other schools cover this stuff more thoroughly in the basic bio course than my post-bacc school did?

My intent with taking more bio courses was not GPA related -- had a 3.7 ish cumulative before, bumped this up closer to a 3.8 after post-bacc stuff; my goal was to learn science things really well for the MCAT and to prepare for school.

Members don't see this ad :)
most schools look pretty highly at students with multiple recent upper division science courses. just check their website and if they mention it it is a good indicator they require it. remember we aren't just trying to meet the minimum requirements we are competing for spots anything you can control should be taken advantage of.

most schools look pretty highly at students with multiple recent upper division science courses. just check their website and if they mention it it is a good indicator they require it. remember we aren't just trying to meet the minimum requirements we are competing for spots anything you can control should be taken advantage of.

Some schools might but most don't, actually. Just the prereqs is fine. There has been a move to get further and further away from the extra sciences because it doesn't allow for well roundedness of education. The reason you see so many non-sci folks getting into med school these days is because there was a decision in the 80s that the exclusive acceptance of sci majors ended up not resulting in the kind of physicians patients or the profession found desirable. So there has been a move to accept more nonsci majors (as well as more nontrads, more women, more minorities) to get away from the old biologist turned doctor that left the profession wanting.

You are going to be learning the medical courses in med school, so taking them twice is wasteful (and is regarded as such by many). Med school teaches you all you need to know and then some. So major in whatever you want, get a broad education, and only take the prereqs if that's what interests you (noting that some med schools make things like biochem a prereq). Anything else you will need they will teach you, and how. Don't fall for the whole -- you should take A&P and micro and genetics and immuno and etc, etc. You will get those later. A good bio course usually covers enough of those things to do well on the MCAT, and anything beyond this you are going to get ad nauseum in med school. Use those credits instead to take spanish, a business course, something creative. That will make you more well rounded than the premed who takes mostly medically related courses before going to med school where they will study medicine..., and well rounded is really what the profession seeks these days. Not to say that if you love biology you can't take more of it. Just that you don't get any bonus points for doing so anymore.

I would probably get a minor in biology to compliment your communications degree. You have enough of the well rounded courses. Take the year of physics, year of gen chem, year of organic, and a good list of bio courses so you can do well on the MCAT. I would take a verbal test right now though to see if you struggle with this section. If you do practice that for the two years it takes you to get through the premed courses.

If as a non-trad you have a strong GPA, and if after taking the pre-reqs you maintain the same high GPA (in other words, you made almost all As in the pre reqs), med schools will care less about upper level sci classes.

There are exceptions: some med schools require a semester of Biochem, and a few others do have other specific reqs for more sci classes. But for the vast majority of med schools, simply taking the pre-reqs AND doing very well on them is plenty. Do well on the MCAT, and move on.

Taking additional upper level sci is a recommended tactic for applicants who did only so-so on the pre-reqs and need to boost their BCPM...

For the record, I am a non-trad who has taken only the pre-reqs in a post bacc, but I do plan to take a Biochem class during the upcoming app cycle because there are a couple of schools I am applying to that require or highly recommend it.

To put it another way, upper division courses might help but they *definitely* won't hurt (unless you do badly in them). My advice is to see how your pre-reqs go and decide at that point if you want to undertake some upper division bio courses. Be ready to change your plans depending on what you discover about your aptitude for studying science/biology. It's a different strategy than studying for humanities courses (as a double humanities major, I can attest to this). Maybe you will do very well, maybe you won't do quite so well.

Upper division bio courses certainly have their strengths. One thing to note is that certain courses, while not required for the MCAT by any means, may be helpful in preparation for the test. I found genetics and biochemistry both to be helpful for the MCAT. Also, many of the medical students I know have said that taking undergraduate anatomy may be a helpful first step for medical school anatomy. Yes, you *may* be repeating some material you'll learn in medical school, but honestly, there's no harm in preparing yourself, especially if you're a non-trad, IMO. I doubt any medical school is going to think that you were "wasting time learning things you will already learn in medical school" if you take an anatomy course and do well in it. On the contrary, it shows an interest and aptitude for a subject you will study in-depth in medical school. I don't know how many medical students have told me that the single best course they took in preparation for medical school was anatomy.

But see where your aptitude lies. You may need to take it step by step. Make sure you don't get burned out whatever you do because it's a long path ahead of you.

My $0.02.

Best of luck :luck::luck::luck:.

T... Yes, you *may* be repeating some material you'll learn in medical school, but honestly, there's no harm in preparing yourself, especially if you're a non-trad, IMO. I doubt any medical school is going to think that you were "wasting time learning things you will already learn in medical school" if you take an anatomy course and do well in it. On the contrary, it shows an interest and aptitude for a subject you will study in-depth in medical school. I don't know how many medical students have told me that the single best course they took in preparation for medical school was anatomy.

The folks I know who had taken anatomy didn't really see any advantage. It's like saying having eaten a spoonful of ice cream in the past is going to be helpful when you have to eat a bucket. Sure the flavor's there, but it's not the flavor, it's the quantity that's the only thing that ever trips people up. Taking courses you are going to take again is absolutely wasteful. One course may not be a big deal, but there are folks who think premed means you have to take all of the med school sounding college classes, and emerge horribly not well rounded. When in doubt, take something you are never going to have the opportunity to take again. Not as big a concern for nontrads who may be doing coursework on top of an unrelated degree. But if you are starting de novo, be watchful of limiting yourself. You don't get any real benefit being diehard premed. The dude who majored in contemporary dance is going to stand out in the interviews more.

If as a non-trad you have a strong GPA, and if after taking the pre-reqs you maintain the same high GPA (in other words, you made almost all As in the pre reqs), med schools will care less about upper level sci classes.

There are exceptions: some med schools require a semester of Biochem, and a few others do have other specific reqs for more sci classes. But for the vast majority of med schools, simply taking the pre-reqs AND doing very well on them is plenty. Do well on the MCAT, and move on.

Taking additional upper level sci is a recommended tactic for applicants who did only so-so on the pre-reqs and need to boost their BCPM...

For the record, I am a non-trad who has taken only the pre-reqs in a post bacc, but I do plan to take a Biochem class during the upcoming app cycle because there are a couple of schools I am applying to that require or highly recommend it.

I'm certainly not a sufficiently knowledgeable judge to say whether lots of non-prereq science classes are necessary, but I second the advice to take at least Biochem. Many schools to which I applied this cycle (including all the schools who gave me an acceptance) either require or highly recommend an upper-level biology course (Biochem, Genetics, etc). Biochem also has the added benefit of being the one class that my med school or post-med school friends say is actually beneficial to have going in!

I'm certainly not a sufficiently knowledgeable judge to say whether lots of non-prereq science classes are necessary, but I second the advice to take at least Biochem. Many schools to which I applied this cycle (including all the schools who gave me an acceptance) either require or highly recommend an upper-level biology course (Biochem, Genetics, etc). Biochem also has the added benefit of being the one class that my med school or post-med school friends say is actually beneficial to have going in!

Biochem is the only class that the doctors I spoke to consistently recommended, too. I planned to take it even before I learned that a few schools I am interested in require it.

If I had more time (and money) I might take other classes, too, but I am frankly sick of jumping through hoops and am pretty satisfied with my prospects for the upcoming cycle (I don't think not having additional upper level sci classes will hurt me at all schools - maybe some - but not all).

Taking courses you are going to take again is absolutely wasteful...The dude who majored in contemporary dance is going to stand out in the interviews more.

OK, I majored in music and stood out at the interviews. The OP majored in communications and will (maybe) stand out at interview courses.

I absolutely fail to see how it's wasteful to have come in with a solid foundation in anatomy (and trends in naming structures of the body).

Did high school chemistry help me with college chemistry? Yes it did. Will undergraduate + graduate-level biochemistry help me with medical school biochemistry? I would hope so.

*Perhaps* since you are the one who suggests that the workload is so heavy, a little headstart would not hurt anyone?

i also have a 3.9 would taking some pre reqs in different universities hurt me? like iv taken the necessary courses for the mcat but not calculus and bio chem, should i take them in the university im getting my bachelors from or it doesnt matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
I've had two different MDs tell me in the last two weeks (in the ER where I volunteer) NOT to take anything but required prereq courses. One of them had been an interviewer for his med school, and not so many years ago, either.

i also have a 3.9 would taking some pre reqs in different universities hurt me? like iv taken the necessary courses for the mcat but not calculus and bio chem, should i take them in the university im getting my bachelors from or it doesnt matter?

It won't matter.

I've had two different MDs tell me in the last two weeks (in the ER where I volunteer) NOT to take anything but required prereq courses. One of them had been an interviewer for his med school, and not so many years ago, either.

I was wondering what was the reasoning behind this? Was it to not risk hurting your grade by taking upper level science courses?

Also, can anyone verify if the same advice is the case for Osteopathic schools?

Thanks!

That's the main reason, yes. I was told that an A in Ochem > two B+s in Ochem and (fill in any class here). The guy who was had been an interviewer told me that as a nontrad, I would be viewed differently, and adcoms understand that we are trying to meet their requirements often without the luxury of 4+ years of college in which to do it.

I also have a friend who, during an med school interview, was told that they don't care if applicants have taken biochem because the school was going to teach "their way" anyway.

That said, I have received so much advice from other pre-meds to the contrary that I'm not sure what I plan to do. I'm positive that cell biology, anatomy, physiology, etc. would help me later on. Perhaps the best answer is to contact my first-choice schools and see what they say.

I am about to start taking my prereqs for MD post bacc. My background was communications. Wimpy, I know, but I'm not complaining about the 3.9 GPA I got out of it. My question is, do schools give more credit to applicants who have taken the prereqs plus more advanced biology classes, chemistry classes, etc?
The reason I ask is because I'm trying to structure my class schedule and decide whether I should tack on another year of classes so I can not only space the prereqs out more, but also take a few more sciences other than just the prereqs.
So, do you think it matters? Thanks in advance for any input! :)

Since you are a non-science major, your grades in the prerecs + your MCAT score will be scrutinized more. Let's say that you end up scoring poorly on the MCAT (Medical College Admissions Test), then your GPA isn't going to offset that poor MCAT score. If you do well in your prerecs and on the MCAT, you likely will not have any problems. Overall, with nonscience majors, the question for most schools will center around your being able to do the work required to get through medical school.

Bottom line: make sure you score well on the MCAT and make sure that you have adequate prep before you take that exam. If this means taking more science before you take this exam, then do so. Most of the time, if you have done well in your prerecs and you can apply the knowledge from those courses (provided they were of sufficient depth and breadth), you should be fine with just the prerecs.

writing now after finishing 1st half of MS1 yr -- we covered a LOT of material that for me was mostly new (having finished required pre-reqs + only a few advanced bio courses), but for the folks with biochem/biology majors was a fast review. I felt at a substantial disadvantage not having the background that they had and, with 20/20 hindsight, would have taken a few more advanced bio courses prior to starting school. I'm really happy that the stuff we're covering now is mostly new to everyone; it feels like a more even playing field.

I've recently been accepted to my top choice med school and only ever took the bare minimum science pre-reqs. I don't feel like this hurt my app. I got strong grades in all pre-reqs and did well on the mcat and am very well-rounded in terms of other coursework and life experiences. I also took my pre-reqs at 4 different institutions and never received any questions about having hopped around like that (although I will say all 4 institutions are well-regarded universities). I would say only take extra upper-level classes if you really WANT to. I found with my apps that they saw the sincerity of the choices and committments I've made and they appreciated that I didn't do things just to make myself look good but instead did things that really interested me. The only downside about only taking minimum pre-reqs is my worry about being behind with the biochem first year but I'll just have to tackle that challenge when it arrives. I certainly don't regret all the cool things I did that I wouldn't have been able to do if I had taken a bunch of extra classes.... It's all about prioritizing

Another of my questions answered! (I think)
I wonder if these responses still hold true today... That just the prereqs are okay.