Are male OB's also perverts??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

calmike2001

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, so I've read some of the threads and I know some of you feel that male GYN's are a little creepy, but what about male OB's?? I am interested in OB, but had the misfortune to be born with a penis, and I am wondering if that will interfere with my future as an OB. The way I see it, when you go to an OB (as opposed to a FP) its typically a higher-risk pregnancy. At that point, the whole goal is "save my baby", and the whole modesty thing goes out the window. All that should matter is who is qualified to help the baby. Am I wrong?? Would I have a tough time getting patients?

Members don't see this ad.

Whats the demographics like in OB/GYN residencies? Is it dominated by female attendings and residents? Would a male resident sorta feel like a square peg in a round world? Thanks for the help.

If you're a good physician and care about your patients, it shouldn't matter if you're male or female. Talk to some male ob-gyn's in your program about what it's like for them if you have questions.

Sorry I don't have any numbers for you, but if you love ob-gyn you should do it!

:) kem

Members don't see this ad :)
I think that most women who prefer female GYNs tend to prefer them bc they feel as if many of them have first hand experience with many of the issues they themselves are dealing with. I would guess that most of these same women are going to prefer a female OB for the same reason.

However, at the end of the day. I don't know any woman that would forego the care of a male dr. known to be an expert in whatever problem. If a woman has a high risk pregnancy or needs to see an RE and the best in the area are men, I'd wager money they would be trying to make appts with them.

calmike2001 said:
but had the misfortune to be born with a penis

Sounds like you'll be perfect for OB.

Why would you join a field where you think you have to emasculate yourself for acceptance?

cause i love babies, and love bringing them into the world. but i'm really tired of spending 75% of gyn exams sitting in the hallway because the patient has said she feels uncomfortable with a male in the room. im doing family right now and i spent 2 hours in the hall today while my preceptor did CPE's with pap's. after the first hour or so you sorta feel insulted.

if you like babies, go into peds. ob is a nasty world, and they really don't care about the babies.

The way I see it, when you go to an OB (as opposed to a FP) its typically a higher-risk pregnancy.

Not necessarily true. Most women I know would never think of going to a FP for pregnancy...or even for their annual exams. For many women, it isn't a matter of high risk--it's just that OB's are what you go to when you're pregnant. I personally have 2 doctors, well 3 if you count my guy who does OMM. My OB/GYN has actually managed some of my other problems when my FP doc retired.

As far as the male thing goes, if that's what you love, then go for it. What you've experienced may be a regional thing or something peculiar to women who go to FP's for their gyn exams. I don't *like* going to male gyn's, but I have been examined by them in the past. Maybe it's just a matter of the individual doctors, though. The one I see now is an awesome doctor and I really feel as though she goes out of her way to make sure she makes me as comfortable as possible. If you've never had a dr dig to find that ovary, you just can't understand how painful that can be.

Check out peds, if you're interested, but don't give up on the idea of OB just because you have a penis. :) There are plenty of women around who aren't picky about gender and just want a doc with some compassion.

Willow

50/50 the way i see it. i've had some unfortunate experiences with female OB's..you know the "i've been through it so quit screaming you wimp" scenario. If you are compassionate and committed to your field it will show. Personally, i feel that as long as you do your work well then that's good enough for me :)

Same scenario goes for female orthos...they aren't all weak or gay -just entered into a typical man's field :)

calmike2001 said:
Are male OB's also perverts??

Yes, but female OBs are all lesbians so whatever....I guess women should never go to an OB/GYN! :smuggrin: :laugh: :p

As a third year medical student, my favorite rotation was ob/gyn, especially labor and delivery. Like other male students, I was also tossed out of exams. My gut reaction to this was to feel hurt, then I realized that the patient simply preferred the female resident or attending to do the exam alone without me, the "strange man" watching - it really had nothing to do with me personally.

I have heard many different arguments for and against male ob/gyns. The argument against them is that males don't have personal experience with the female anatomy and thus will never be as gentle/understanding/empathetic as a female ob/gyn. The argument for them is that males tend to not downplay "routine" and "common" complaints such as painful menstruation and can sometimes be gentler with their physical exam.

However, the consensus I have received in talking with female colleagues, patients, friends and family members is that a female ob/gyn will always be preferred with all other things being equal.

I loved obstetrics because those patients, for the most part, are the only ones who are HAPPY to come to the hospital. Having a baby is an exciting life experience and it is awesome to be a part of it. However, the aforementioned gender issues made me think twice. What I did was look to the other side of the curtain - anesthesia. A woman may be happy to see her ob/gyn as she is going into labor, but she is even happier to see the anesthesiologist who is about to administer that magical epidural.

Just my two cents

The Gaspasser

Johns Hopkins Hospital Anesthesiology Class of 2008

gaspasser2004 said:
A woman may be happy to see her ob/gyn as she is going into labor, but she is even happier to see the anesthesiologist who is about to administer that magical epidural.

:laugh:

hey dudes,
i am a girl and my one truly amazing experience with an OB was with a male. the females OB's just weren't able to help me. as far as i am concerned, if u got to a teaching hospital, you should not be able to refuse male med students, provided there's supervision. what if every male said that he didn't want a prostate exam from a woman?

Members don't see this ad :)
NEVER!!! :eek: ...I will never allow a female the PLEASURE of doing a prostate exam on me because females who do rectal exams on males are all nymphos. :rolleyes:...Stupid pre-meds/MS-1s/MS-2s

OB is a female dominated residency but males are very sought after our program interviewed just about every male applicant who applied in hopes of securing at least 1 of the 5 positions as male.. we were successful.

Good luck you'll have no problems.

As far as the females prefering females well guys will never know what pregnancy or labor is truely like so maybe that might be the reason.

I can see your point. Right now I'm eating as much fast food as I can with hopes of having my first MI before my cardiology clerkship starts. I think my patients will prefer having a med student whose gone through the same suffering they've gone through... I'm just dreading having to get ready for my infectious disease rotations... :) But seriously, thanks for all the help OB/GYN forum!! Everyone's been great answering my questions (except for the death threats)... :)

calmike2001 said:
I can see your point. Right now I'm eating as much fast food as I can with hopes of having my first MI before my cardiology clerkship starts. I think my patients will prefer having a med student whose gone through the same suffering they've gone through... I'm just dreading having to get ready for my infectious disease rotations... :) But seriously, thanks for all the help OB/GYN forum!! Everyone's been great answering my questions (except for the death threats)... :)

lmbo...theres always an ebola outbreak somewhere in africa...you stand a fair chance of getting through that before your infectious disease rotation... you could share your experience with bleeding out and really impress them ;)

Diane L. Evans said:
OB is a female dominated residency but males are very sought after our program interviewed just about every male applicant who applied in hopes of securing at least 1 of the 5 positions as male.. we were successful.

Good luck you'll have no problems.

As far as the females prefering females well guys will never know what pregnancy or labor is truely like so maybe that might be the reason.

the ob/gyne people i have spoked to at NMH also said that male's are very sought after. One of the male attendings claimed that the field was trying to get a 50/50 split. I don't know if that will ever happen but it is encouraging for male's trying to get into ob. i like the idea of ob/gyne because it seems like it brings the medicine and surgical aspects of medicine together. delivering babies is pretty cool too.

i am a bit concerned about the whole malpractice issue with the field. does anyone know how bad it really is? whats the deal with these cerebral palsy lawsuits? is there any validity to them?

Su4n2 said:
hey dudes,
i am a girl and my one truly amazing experience with an OB was with a male. the females OB's just weren't able to help me. as far as i am concerned, if u got to a teaching hospital, you should not be able to refuse male med students, provided there's supervision. what if every male said that he didn't want a prostate exam from a woman?

Doesn't matter if you go to a teaching hospital, refusing a gyn exam or any other treatment etc, is a patient's right that no one, absolutely nobody can take. To say that you can't or shouldn't be allowed to refuse an exam, is to say that you can be forced. Nothing is further from the truth. Supervison has nothing to do with it. If every male patient said he didn't want a prostate exam from a woman, then women simply couldn't do one!

gaspasser2004 said:
As a third year medical student, my favorite rotation was ob/gyn, especially labor and delivery. Like other male students, I was also tossed out of exams. My gut reaction to this was to feel hurt, then I realized that the patient simply preferred the female resident or attending to do the exam alone without me, the "strange man" watching - it really had nothing to do with me personally.

I have heard many different arguments for and against male ob/gyns. The argument against them is that males don't have personal experience with the female anatomy and thus will never be as gentle/understanding/empathetic as a female ob/gyn. The argument for them is that males tend to not downplay "routine" and "common" complaints such as painful menstruation and can sometimes be gentler with their physical exam.

However, the consensus I have received in talking with female colleagues, patients, friends and family members is that a female ob/gyn will always be preferred with all other things being equal.

I loved obstetrics because those patients, for the most part, are the only ones who are HAPPY to come to the hospital. Having a baby is an exciting life experience and it is awesome to be a part of it. However, the aforementioned gender issues made me think twice. What I did was look to the other side of the curtain - anesthesia. A woman may be happy to see her ob/gyn as she is going into labor, but she is even happier to see the anesthesiologist who is about to administer that magical epidural.

Just my two cents

The Gaspasser

Johns Hopkins Hospital Anesthesiology Class of 2008

You are one of the few on this board that seem to have a positive and intelligent attitude. Most don't and are immature and full of bull. Some male students are so upset about being asked out of the room, that some of them are becoming aggressive, which is the wrong thing to do. They are losing a little bit of grip on reality. They're saying all kinds of stupid things, because they're overlooking one very important and unchangeable fact. There are values that poeple hold that no matter what walk of life or status in society you hold, you are not going to trample those values. A medical degree or a medical student who is highly supervised by a female nurse or female doctor, means nothing to the patient who simply doesn't want him in the room during such an intimate exam, (again, it's a matter of values). It also doesn't matter that she is in the hospital for a gyn problem and treatment, or that she is in a city or some so-called free hospital. You are talking about civil rights, and too many of us women don't allow anyone to infringe upon them. Absolutely nobody. Another point, that goes for both male and female doctors.

OB/GYN pts often prefer females to males, but many also prefer males to females. Those who've been in the field for a while (like the Fellow I've been talking to) say that it's almost a 50/50 split.

Reasons pt's stated for wanting male OB:
-they don't feel comfortable with a female examining their genitals
-they don't feel that female MDs are as competent as males
-they think males actually sympathsize more (especially in OB, whereas the pregnant OB fellow might be think, I'm 35 weeks and this 12-weeker is complaining to me)

and there're plenty more...but the fact is that while some reasons are irrational or untrue, pt's still cite them.

I personally loved my OB rotation (catching babies is just the coolest). GYN was sooo much more surgically-oriented than I originally thought, almost 50/50. Anyhoo...I'm really considering it.

The women I have talked to who prefer a female doctor of any sort tend to have issues being comfortable with their bodies. To them, having a female examine them is the lesser of two evils.

I really don't care either way. An exam is an exam. Just make sure the room isn't cold and I'm happy.

one thing that gives me the willies is when i hear women talk about their male OB/GYN and suggest some other woman go to him because "he's hot."

what's up with that?

bananaface said:
I really don't care either way. An exam is an exam. Just make sure the room isn't cold and I'm happy.

AMEN. and please, warm the speculum. :thumbup:

Ladies, just go to a Gyn that you're comfortable with. If you prefer a woman, then see a woman. If you prefer a man, then see a man. If your preference doesn't depend on gender, then go where you're most comfortable. I've had enough gyn exams in my relatively short life to know that talent, ability, and empathy are not trates carried on the sex chromosomes, and I'd rather see a gentle, caring man than a rough woman any day. But that's just me and what I am comfortable with...you go see whoever you're comfortable with.

Now either keep it nice or let the old thread die. ;)