Are my LORs too old and having an issue with my last LOR writer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCorp

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I was going to apply for residency last year, but since I didn't have my CK score in time, I decided to opt out of as, especially since I'm an IMG. I currently have 3 LORs which are all dated as September 5, 2015. I was curious as to whether or not this would be a problem for this current cycle?

I went onto myERAS and clicked "yes" on using my old letters and I'm currently waiting for them to be uploaded.

Lastly, I'm trying to get my last LOR uploaded onto myERAS, unfortunately, the doctor doesn't recall his AAMC ID. The letter is ready and signed, but we're stuck at this level at the moment. Has anybody else encountered this issue?

Members don't see this ad.

When he goes to the LOR Portal, there are links for "forgot your username" and "forgot your password". All he needs is his email address.

And if he can't remember that (or if he's moved and that address no longer works), just create a new account.
upload_2016-7-8_19-39-36.png

I applied last year with a letter equivalently as old as yours and it wasn't an issue. Then again, I had a couple others that were newer too.

As for your letter-writer who's having troubles, you could also ask him/her to just give the letter to you and you could upload it for him. I had to do this for several of my letter-writers. It also gave me the chance to read their letters before I sent them to residency programs. And I'm so glad I did! Some of them, while well-intentioned, were not what I would want to send to a residency program AT ALL. It's something to think about. Most successful applicants (especially IMGs) read their LORs before sending them to programs, even though they check the box that waives their right to see them.

I applied last year with a letter equivalently as old as yours and it wasn't an issue. Then again, I had a couple others that were newer too.

As for your letter-writer who's having troubles, you could also ask him/her to just give the letter to you and you could upload it for him. I had to do this for several of my letter-writers. It also gave me the chance to read their letters before I sent them to residency programs. And I'm so glad I did! Some of them, while well-intentioned, were not what I would want to send to a residency program AT ALL. It's something to think about. Most successful applicants (especially IMGs) read their LORs before sending them to programs, even though they check the box that waives their right to see them.

I would not recommend this as a rule. You should not be reading your letters. That's the point of waiving your righ. If you have a letter writer that sends you a copy as a courtesy, that's fine, but you should not go in and offer to upload letters.

Reactions: 1 users