Are my old grades holding me back?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

budda10000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating a reapplication into the MD this year and currently possess a deferred DO acceptance. Last MD cycle I applied to 16 schools and got 2 interviews(schools I was connected to). My MCAT for this cycle was 30 but I am sure I can raise that due to the very brief prep time I took on the original. I typically do very well on standardized tests, my SAT and DAT were both 98th percentile.. Assuming I raise it a few points(say 34-36) will my GPA hold me back? I have a sci GPA of 3.49 and overall GPA of 3.5(according to AMCAS). The thing is they result from one bad year I had in 2002. Every grade I have gotten from 2008-2012(including my premed courses) was a 3.95 average.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I have seen others on here say that you would be crazy to turn down an acceptance. Poor judgement on your part, and who knows if you will get into the MD school?
You would also be a re-applicant.

I have seen others on here say that you would be crazy to turn down an acceptance. Poor judgement on your part, and who knows if you will get into the MD school?
You would also be a re-applicant.

Im not turning down anything, its deferred. I only ask because my buddy w/ almost identical application but higher mcat got admitted everywhere.(top 10 school as well), she was also a a reapplicant FYI. I get a feeling I am being screened out over my MCAT. Every adcom that actually looks deeper at my application seems to like it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Deferred until 2015? What was the basis for the deferral?

I applied late, their class was filled but they wanted me so they offered me a spot in next years class. I took it over another DO school because the residency options were much better.

Last edited:
I'd say, no, the grades won't hold you back if you apply strategically. Namely, this means targeting your state school, the low-tiers, and newest MD schools, considering your GPAs are below avg.

Since you clearly don't wish to be a DO, I'd rather you get what you want, and give up your seat to someone who has no problem going to a DO school.

I am contemplating a reapplication into the MD this year and currently possess a deferred DO acceptance. Last MD cycle I applied to 16 schools and got 2 interviews(schools I was connected to). My MCAT for this cycle was 30 but I am sure I can raise that due to the very brief prep time I took on the original. I typically do very well on standardized tests, my SAT and DAT were both 98th percentile.. Assuming I raise it a few points(say 34-36) will my GPA hold me back? I have a sci GPA of 3.49 and overall GPA of 3.5(according to AMCAS). The thing is they result from one bad year I had in 2002. Every grade I have gotten from 2008-2012(including my premed courses) was a 3.95 average.

Reactions: 1 users