Are my stats a joke?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SClENCE

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a recent graduate and am looking to apply this upcoming cycle. My adviser pretty much told me I have no chance and I am really hesitant about the whole process

Cum GPA ~ 3.1
Science/Math ~ 2.9-3.0 (Not really sure)
PCAT - 72 Composite (Walked in and took it with ABSOLUTELY no studying, going to retake and shoot for 85+)
Just started a job as a PharmTech and will have ~6 months experience when I apply. Can also job shadow my friend later on. Also a few other EC's such as preprofessional club and a few non pharmacy volunteering things

My grades have an upward trend (8 A's and 2 C's my last 2 semesters), but I really got killed in the upper levels/prereqs (C's in organic, biochem, immunology, A&P, Physics I) along with some B's in really easy GenEds (Psychology, History of Art, Theology, Philosophy)

Also have A's in classes like calculus, economics, gen chem, gen bio, botany, ornithology, ecology and many more

I'm worried that I have way too many C's and the fact that they are in the most important classes will give me no chance (7 C's in total)

I plan on applying to all of the Ohio schools along with the lower GPA schools based on this site http://pharmacy-schools.findthebest.com/

If I'm applying to sub par accredited schools (based on average accepted GPA) will I be lucky to get an interview or is it likely that I'll get a few invites? I really am unsure where I stand because I hear of people with a 2.8 getting 3 interviews and people with 3.4's applying to 10 schools and not getting into any

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I am a recent graduate and am looking to apply this upcoming cycle. My adviser pretty much told me I have no chance and I am really hesitant about the whole process

Cum GPA ~ 3.1
PCAT - 72 Composite (Walked in and took it with ABSOLUTELY no studying, going to retake and shoot for 85+)
Just started a job as a PharmTech and will have ~6 months experience when I apply. Can also job shadow my friend later on. Also a few other EC's such as preprofessional club and a few non pharmacy volunteering things

My grades have an upward trend (8 A's and 2 C's my last 2 semesters), but I really got killed in the upper levels (C's in organic, biochem, immunology, A&P, Physics I and invert zoology) along with some B's in really easy GenEds (Psychology, History of Art, Theology, Philosophy)

Also have A's in classes like calculus, economics, gen chem, gen bio, botany, ornithology, ecology and many more

I'm worried that I have way too many C's and the fact that they are in the most important classes will give me no chance (7 C's in total)

I plan on applying to all of the Ohio schools along with the lower GPA schools based on this site http://pharmacy-schools.findthebest.com/

If I'm applying to sub par accredited schools (based on average accepted GPA) will I be lucky to get an interview or is it likely that I'll get a few invites? I really am unsure where I stand because I hear of people with a 2.8 getting 3 interviews and people with 3.4's applying to 10 schools and not getting into any

you are going to be fine. Apply as many schools as you can and as wide range as you can. GL :)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks, it's good to know that I at least have a chance. I'm not so worried about having a 3.1 but 7 C's in the most critical classes makes me think my application will be tossed out pretty quick by most if not every school. Just hoping to get an interview at this point

Members don't see this ad :)
My pre-health adviser made me feel like I had no chance of getting into pharmacy school my sophomore year and some other stuff. I never went back to her and just figured everything out on my own. Many pre-med students I was friends with had the same problem. Don't let it get you down.
If you apply widely, you should be okay.
Remain positive. You can always retake classes or apply again if you have a hard time this cycle (though I think you'll be fine).

You will get in somewhere. But really, Cs in all the core sophomore and junior classes?

Reactions: 1 users
You will get in somewhere. But really, Cs in all the core sophomore and junior classes?
I did get a B in a lot of the core classes (not that that's a good thing) like Physics II, vert zoology, A&P I, Analytical Chem, OChem I, Genetics but like I said B's arn't good and there are a lot of C's

Glad to see that I have a realistic chance of getting in SOMEWHERE

My Organic professor was very difficult and the class average was easily under 75%, and I had the same professor for Biochem/molecular bio/genetics who is also VERY difficult. I feel like I'm at a disadvantage when I talk to people who transferred in with A's in organic who then walk into easy classes like botany and complain about their C while I'm sitting at a 100%. Would be okay if schools recognized the difficulty of the school but it's next to impossible for them to do this, and my school is pretty small and not well known so I feel like this "rigor" that my professors brag about is not even going to be recognized by anyone outside of the institution

I won't sugarcoat it: those are not good grades. You'll probably get in somewhere, but you're in for a rough road. I would consider retaking courses with math and science grades that low, if only to prove to myself that I could handle the rigor of harder courses.

As for the cake classes (art history, etc), you should be aiming for straight As, or A-s at the worst. Anything less is just questionable.

Cum GPA ~ 3.1

My grades have an upward trend (8 A's and 2 C's my last 2 semesters), but I really got killed in the upper levels (C's in organic, biochem, immunology, A&P, Physics I and invert zoology) along with some B's in really easy GenEds (Psychology, History of Art, Theology, Philosophy)

Why do you want to go to pharmacy school in the first place? A&P and physics aren't upper division courses.

People get into pharm school with 2.9-3.0 GPA?

Why do you want to go to pharmacy school in the first place? A&P and physics aren't upper division courses.
Not sure what your point is... they are still PreReqs for nearly every school...? I got an A in Physics II and a C in Physics I... yes the classes are easy I just didn't study which I'm guessing will be viewed as weak.

Are you recommending I retake them or something?

Last edited:
People get into pharm school with 2.9-3.0 GPA?
I have a 2.9 GPA and got into pharmacy school for this Fall. I know two other people with GPAs below 3.0 who also got into other pharmacy schools so I don't see why it's that surprising.

Members don't see this ad :)
Off the top of your head...which schools?
Just click the link in the OP there's a few of them at or below 3.1. I'm personally trying to avoid osteopathic and non-accredited schools but there are still other schools in that range and a ton of them around 3.2-3.4

I'm a first year pharmacy student and I had similar stats. My overall GPA was sub 3.0 after undergrad with several C's. I was a pharm tech for 1.5 years, went back to school to retake several classes and came out with a post undergrad GPA 3.8+ while working part time at Walgreens. PCAT was a 74. I got almost all the interviews that I applied for. Definitely study and retake the PCAT. I have heard of a couple people score below 20 and get into pharmacy school but they were strong in other areas.

Schools with low GPA requirement you'll definitely get an interview but will definitely be hard to get into the higher ones. If you have any more questions just PM me.

Just click the link in the OP there's a few of them at or below 3.1. I'm personally trying to avoid osteopathic and non-accredited schools but there are still other schools in that range and a ton of them around 3.2-3.4
I'm not asking because I need to apply; I'm asking because it's questionable...and I have a hard time believing that could be an average, even for very poor schools.

I'm a first year pharmacy student and I had similar stats. My overall GPA was sub 3.0 after undergrad with several C's. I was a pharm tech for 1.5 years, went back to school to retake several classes and came out with a post undergrad GPA 3.8+ while working part time at Walgreens. PCAT was a 74. I got almost all the interviews that I applied for. Definitely study and retake the PCAT. I have heard of a couple people score below 20 and get into pharmacy school but they were strong in other areas.

Schools with low GPA requirement you'll definitely get an interview but will definitely be hard to get into the higher ones. If you have any more questions just PM me.

Sub 3.0s GPA now sub 20 percentile on the PCAT ?? They sink that low ?? I thought 50's percentile was already low ?? If you don't mind, tell us what school it was that you saw.

Dang !! :barf::barf:

Last edited:
Sub 3.0s GPA now sub 20 percentile on the PCAT ?? They sink that low ?? I thought 50's percentile was already low ?? If you don't mind, tell us what school it was that you saw.

Dang !! :barf::barf:

I'm not going to reveal the school because I don't want people to get the impression that they have a weak selection process or anything of that nature. The story of the applicant with sub 20 PCAT apparently did very well in the interview and had a high GPA. The graduates that I know from this school are exceptional. I believe that it is a very small percentage of students that get through with low stats and usually they need to show an increasing trend in grades or time spent in a pharmacy. Just wanted to show OP that he does have a chance. And yeah 50 percentile is very low and should definitely be retaken but sometimes students make mistakes or have complications in their life which is understandable.

I'm not going to reveal the school because I don't want people to get the impression that they have a weak selection process or anything of that nature. The story of the applicant with sub 20 PCAT apparently did very well in the interview and had a high GPA. The graduates that I know from this school are exceptional. I believe that it is a very small percentage of students that get through with low stats and usually they need to show an increasing trend in grades or time spent in a pharmacy. Just wanted to show OP that he does have a chance. And yeah 50 percentile is very low and should definitely be retaken but sometimes students make mistakes or have complications in their life which is understandable.

20's and sub is superlow. I bet a caveman could come in and just touch whatever on the computer screen and be able to score better than 20 percentile. There is no excuse for scoring that low unless you are a very poor student (if you scored that low, I would have to question the validity of your GPA). If you have your prereq, even w/o studying. you should be able to score > 50's percentile.

IMHO, you could only whine about your personal problem and/or deserve a chance to get interviewed/accepted when your academic credentials as impressive/equal as other applicants. Have you heard about Ben Carson, MD or Doctor Q ??

I have read about too many examples of sub 3.0's + sub 50's percentile on PCAT that got accepted to pharmacy schools here on SDN already. Coupled with the fact that too many pharmacy schools are opening now, it really makes me to have to think that this is going to be the unavoidable trend of future pharmacy admission: declining admission/academic standards. (In fact, I have heard and know many schools that have easier academic policies that allow students to remedy their failed course, e.g. retake courses online/summer or even let students to retake tests once or twice.) But how schools are supposed to be choosy when there are too many of them ??

I know nothing I do or say will change this trend. But that is a thing that is sad to see. Someone here already said it that in the future, qualified applicants will gravitate more and more toward highly ranked schools. Like business schools and law schools, in the future, you will have to graduate from upper tier schools in order to get a job.

As far as the graduates of that school being impressive, I think you are making an incomparable comparison. IMHO those impressive pharmacists are most likely not the same individuals that got accepted into that schools with sub 3.0's GPA and sub 20's percentile on the PCAT. Time spent in pharmacy or acing an interview could not tell if a person could handle pharmacy school or not (any monkey could get trained to be a pharmacy tech lol :naughty:), esp. that person have a sub 3.0's GPA + sub 20's percentile on the PCAT.

well, hopefully the people you mentioned above in your story will make a lot out of the chance they got.

Last edited:
I wonder what percentile you end up with if you put C for every single answer on the PCAT. I would try it if I had extra money to burn.

I have a 2.9 GPA and got into pharmacy school for this Fall. I know two other people with GPAs below 3.0 who also got into other pharmacy schools so I don't see why it's that surprising.
Hey what school did u get into ? :D

I have similar stats of low gpa, but decent PCAT PR score(88). I want to apply to Florida schools and worried about my gpa, but ppl told me to not worry too much since I am a senior and took tough high level courses.

20's and sub is superlow. I bet a caveman could come in and just touch whatever on the computer screen and be able to score better than 20 percentile. There is no excuse for scoring that low unless you are a very poor student (if you scored that low, I would have to question the validity of your GPA). If you have your prereq, even w/o studying. you should be able to score > 50's percentile.

IMHO, you could only whine about your personal problem and/or deserve a chance to get interviewed/accepted when your academic credentials as impressive/equal as other applicants. Have you heard about Ben Carson, MD or Doctor Q ??

I have read about too many examples of sub 3.0's + sub 50's percentile on PCAT that got accepted to pharmacy schools here on SDN already. Coupled with the fact that too many pharmacy schools are opening now, it really makes me to have to think that this is going to be the unavoidable trend of future pharmacy admission: declining admission/academic standards. (In fact, I have heard and know many schools that have easier academic policies that allow students to remedy their failed course, e.g. retake courses online/summer or even let students to retake tests once or twice.) But how schools are supposed to be choosy when there are too many of them ??

I know nothing I do or say will change this trend. But that is a thing that is sad to see. Someone here already said it that in the future, qualified applicants will gravitate more and more toward highly ranked schools. Like business schools and law schools, in the future, you will have to graduate from upper tier schools in order to get a job.

As far as the graduates of that school being impressive, I think you are making an incomparable comparison. IMHO those impressive pharmacists are most likely not the same individuals that got accepted into that schools with sub 3.0's GPA and sub 20's percentile on the PCAT. Time spent in pharmacy or acing an interview could not tell if a person could handle pharmacy school or not (any monkey could get trained to be a pharmacy tech lol :naughty:), esp. that person have a sub 3.0's GPA + sub 20's percentile on the PCAT.

well, hopefully the people you mentioned above in your story will make a lot out of the chance they got.
I have heard of pharmacy school s popping up in recent years and right now their requirements r kind of low. I have heard of some ppl getting in with both low gpa and scores on the core classes that i too question if they will make it. My university that I am attending right now has a new college of pharmacy that I wish to apply to, but they have not graduated their first class yet. I most likely will try to get in because the university itself is a research university and is part of the Moffitt cancer center. I hope it will turn into a high tier pharmacy school in the future.

I have heard of pharmacy school s popping up in recent years and right now their requirements r kind of low. I have heard of some ppl getting in with both low gpa and scores on the core classes that i too question if they will make it. My university that I am attending right now has a new college of pharmacy that I wish to apply to, but they have not graduated their first class yet. I most likely will try to get in because the university itself is a research university and is part of the Moffitt cancer center. I hope it will turn into a high tier pharmacy school in the future.

yeah well, in addition to decreasing admission/academic standards, community/retail and hospital pharmacies will push and require new PharmDs to complete some residency which keep extending longer and longer to like PGY3 bs ( http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/it-has-started-pgy3s-in-newest-ajhp.1086680/ ), the pharmacy profession is nothing like what it was in the past as more and more new pharmacy schools opening up non-stop (~ 80 schools in the late 1990s's-early 200o's to ~ 130 schools at the end of 2014).

It is sad. I see this inflation of degree/residency trend in general is nothing but just a big freaking scam. Unfortunately, we are so lowly in the system to do anything about the situation. We are just some sheep. Sad.

From what you said above, I guess you are going to USF ?? ;)

Last edited:
yeah well, in addition to decreasing admission/academic standards, community/retail and hospital pharmacies will push and require new PharmDs to complete some residency which keep extending longer and longer to like PGY3, the pharmacy profession is nothing in the past as more and more new pharmacy schools opening up. It is sad.

From what you said above, I guess you are going to USF ?? ;)
Yup u got it lol. My stats r ok but with my decent pcat score I can apply to more established pharmacy schools like nova lecomm or uf, but I feel usf is heading to the future of what pharmacy will be. They do require extra courses like biochem and the Dean even said he wants to make his students to be more than just "pill counters" stereotype. It should be interesting because I have not heard of other Florida schools trying to change the way pharmacy works.

Yup u got it lol. My stats r ok but with my decent pcat score I can apply to more established pharmacy schools like nova lecomm or uf, but I feel usf is heading to the future of what pharmacy will be. They do require extra courses like biochem and the Dean even said he wants to make his students to be more than just "pill counters" stereotype. It should be interesting because I have not heard of other Florida schools trying to change the way pharmacy works.

LECOM is not a good school from what I have read about the school.

You should not limit yourself to USF or just Florida. Do not just take what the schools say as they, of course, are biased about their schools. Do more research/DD and learn more about other schools or other career options. But as you are instate or Florida, UF should be the #1 choice for you !! :)

just noticed that... osteopathic pharmacy schools ?? what would do they do there ?? hmmmm :thinking::thinking:

LECOM is not a good school from what I have read about the school.

You should not limit yourself to USF or just Florida. Do not just take what the schools say as they, of course, are biased about their schools. Do more research/DD and learn more about other schools or other career options. But as you are instate or Florida, UF should be the #1 choice for you !! :)
I wish to stay in Florida cause I am family oriented and most live here so it would be tough to go out of state for me personally. I will of course leave my options open and try to apply to most Florida schools and c what goes from there. Thanks for the advice

Hey what school did u get into ? :D
I got into VCU for this Fall. Not top 10 on the U.S. News Ranking but up there on the list and a respected school nonetheless. Don't let oldstock's sarcasm get to you. She just seems to be a bitter person.

I got into VCU for this Fall. Not top 10 on the U.S. News Ranking but up there on the list and a respected school nonetheless. Don't let oldstock's sarcasm get to you. She just seems to be a bitter person.

hope your PCAT was like 99 or 110... if you are telling me now that it was 12 or something lower, I will probably jump off a roof or shoot my head off .... :smack: :smack: :bang::bang::barf::barf:

anyway I was accepted to VCU too but declined... will have to miss the chance to chat with you geniuses in real life... sad sad... super sad in fact :thinking::thinking: :lol::lol::shifty: :shifty:

hope your PCAT was like 99 or 110... if you are telling me now that it was 12 or something lower, I will probably jump off a roof or shoot my head off .... :smack: :smack: :bang::bang::barf::barf:

anyway I was accepted to VCU too but declined... will have to miss the chance to chat with you geniuses in real life... sad sad... super sad in fact :thinking::thinking: :lol::lol::shifty: :shifty:
Nope, it was 75% so don't do anything crazy. Thank goodness you declined though as four year would have been unbearable with someone like you.

Nope, it was 75% so don't do anything crazy. Thank goodness you declined though as four year would have been unbearable with someone like you.

phewww.... thank GOD you got 75.... I will miss you Jez :) LOL

So I been looking and researching. Of the established schools, UF beats the others by a long shot. The wild card for Florida would be USF cause they are still new(only now is going to be graduating their first class) and being from USF myself, I can say they are a decent contender for being #2 or even #1 Florida school given some time. My question is if I would even be considered for out of state schools with my low gpa-around 2.9 but can maybe bumb to 3.0 at the end of the semester when I graduate(had to hold off graduation since I decided to do pharmacy a bit late).

I have ok EC activities and I am a member of different clubs, but no leadership roles yet. Like I said I scored ok on PCAT and don't have my LOR's yet.

So I been looking and researching. Of the established schools, UF beats the others by a long shot. The wild card for Florida would be USF cause they are still new(only now is going to be graduating their first class) and being from USF myself, I can say they are a decent contender for being #2 or even #1 Florida school given some time. My question is if I would even be considered for out of state schools with my low gpa-around 2.9 but can maybe bumb to 3.0 at the end of the semester when I graduate(had to hold off graduation since I decided to do pharmacy a bit late).

I have ok EC activities and I am a member of different clubs, but no leadership roles yet. Like I said I scored ok on PCAT and don't have my LOR's yet.

I don't really know what you are talking about. USF did 200 interviews last year, and they accepted 100% of the people. Accepting EVERYONE does not scream #1, or even #2! Its true that UF is the best pharmacy school in Florida, but its not by a long shot. Things have changed in the past few years, both Palm Beach and NOVA have improved beyond the level of LECOM. Palm Beach had a 95% passing rate for the NAPLEX, UF had a 94% and NOVA had a 93%. I know NAPLEX alone is not a good way to say which school is better, but if UF is as good as everyone is saying, it should at least have a 98% passing rate like most of the other "top" schools.

Last edited:
I don't really know what you are talking about. USF did 200 interviews last year, and they accepted 100% of the people! Its true that UF is the best pharmacy school in Florida, but its not by a long shot. Things have changed the past few years, both Palm Beach and NOVA have improved beyond the level of LECOM. Palm Beach had a 95% passing rate for the NAPLEX, UF had a 94% and NOVA had a 93%. I know NAPLEX alone is not a good way to say which school is better, but if UF is a good as everyone is saying, it should at least have a 98% passing rate like most of the other "top" schools.
From my understanding, USF is one of the newer pharmacy schools that opened in Florida. Right now they have low standards , but USF is known as a research type university and I wonder if they will also follow suite. I guess I am just being biased being from USF lol.
I am still new to the pharmacy school stuff and have been trying to find an accurate ranking system of pharmacy schools.

From my understanding, USF is one of the newer pharmacy schools that opened in Florida. Right now they have low standards , but USF is known as a research type university and I wonder if they will also follow suite. I guess I am just being biased being from USF lol.
I am still new to the pharmacy school stuff and have been trying to find an accurate ranking system of pharmacy schools.

Hey sunshao, I'm an incoming P2 USF student. I'm not gonna spill out some "rah rah go join USF cuz they're #1" BS at you, but the college of pharmacy here works with the medical and public health colleges when they devise the curriculum that the students follow. USF's MCOM (Morsani College of Medicine) is very well established and has excellent connections that the pharmacy school can take advantage of; these aspects allow for our school to be better off than some run-of-the-mill school that popped up in the middle of nowhere. Aside from that, we won't know just how well USF compares to the other Florida schools until the NAPLEX scores come out for the first class, as well as the succeeding classes' scores. It might be good and at the same time, it might go bad. Who knows.

Hey sunshao, I'm an incoming P2 USF student. I'm not gonna spill out some "rah rah go join USF cuz they're #1" BS at you, but the college of pharmacy here works with the medical and public health colleges when they devise the curriculum that the students follow. USF's MCOM (Morsani College of Medicine) is very well established and has excellent connections that the pharmacy school can take advantage of; these aspects allow for our school to be better off than some run-of-the-mill school that popped up in the middle of nowhere. Aside from that, we won't know just how well USF compares to the other Florida schools until the NAPLEX scores come out for the first class, as well as the succeeding classes' scores. It might be good and at the same time, it might go bad. Who knows.
Since u r a P2 at USF, can u tell me how the professors are? At USF, some prof focus on research mainly and do teaching as a side job that they don't really do well since they really don't care or have no real teaching background(specifically adjunct prof). I am wondering if the COP prof are like that cause I never liked courses where there was no point in going to class.

Also USF has a tendency to hire people who don't have a firm grasp of the English language and language barriers occur. Was wondering if that happens too.

Since u r a P2 at USF, can u tell me how the professors are? At USF, some prof focus on research mainly and do teaching as a side job that they don't really do well since they really don't care or have no real teaching background(specifically adjunct prof). I am wondering if the COP prof are like that cause I never liked courses where there was no point in going to class.

Also USF has a tendency to hire people who don't have a firm grasp of the English language and language barriers occur. Was wondering if that happens too.

The professors here at the USFCOP come in all shapes, sizes and backgrounds. You've got a variety of individuals teaching your class ranging from young PharmD's who have, within 3-4 years, came out of pharmacy school to PhD's who have been in their respective fields for 20-30+ years. You don't have the demographic skewed in one way or another and it's more so an even distribution. You do have professors who deal with research more than teaching, which is to be expected; however, each and every one of them cares about your success in the program and every one of them is very open for conversation. They will know you by name (for better or worse) and that establishes a significantly stronger connection than you'd find in undergrad for the most part.

As for the professor's proficiency in the English language, I can only recall one professor who had a fairly heavy language accent. I understood him/her just fine. The professors who have a potential language barrier are aware of this and they speak slower and as clearly as possible to get the information across to us.