Are my stats good enough for an SMP? And what is the best SMP with DO linkage?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OptimisticDreamer

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm hoping to attend a program with linkage to DO school.
My stats are 24 mcat, 3.3gpa.
2 years of research.
2 years of clinical volunteering
emt-b certified
4 years of various community volunteering
2 years of leadership positions
200 hours of shadowing DO's
2 DO LOR
3 science LOR

Members don't see this ad.

With a 24 mcat, you aren't competitive for anything except the Carib

I'm 100% against going to med school with a low MCAT score, because without a strong MCAT performance you have no basis to predict you'll survive the constant endless hours-long multiple-choice exams covering ridiculous boatloads of content.

That said, there are several 2 year masters programs at DO schools that don't care about a low MCAT. If you do great work for 2 years, you get into the host DO school without having to retake. Linkage is too strong a word. I sure hope these programs make you suffer and take boatloads of exams in lieu of an MCAT retake.

I'll leave it as an exercise to find out which DO schools have these programs. Hint: use the internet.

Best of luck to you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Look into Midwestern University. They have a one year and two year SMP-type program. I spoke to an admissions counselor that told me that if you have an MCAT score within one standard deviation of the last incoming class (so like a 26-30) and maintain a 3.0 within the first two quarters of the MA in Biomed program, you're guaranteed interviews at both AZCOM and CCOM