Are online classes a bad idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

michael_del_rey

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm applying in the 2015-2016 cycle and have everything in order except for biochemistry. I never took it during undergrad, so I was planning to take the course during this summer. However, the class being offered by the biochemistry dept at my grad school conflicts with a required course for my master's degree. I found out about a biochemistry class being offered online by the University of Florida for non-degree seeking students that would fulfill the biochemistry req at UF and other medical schools. I looked at a syllabus for it, and it has basically the same content as the biochemistry class at my school. I've heard that adcoms tend to look negatively on taking premed reqs online, so I'm hesitant to register for it. But would it really look badly to have just taken one course online?

Also, if any of you have taken this course at UF as a distance learner, let me know how it went for you if you don't mind sharing please :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just my .02 since I'm a fellow pre-med, but I think biochem might be one of the worst possible classes to take online. It's emphasized more heavily every year in admissions, it's on the new MCAT (Which doesn't really apply to you but helps reiterate its importance), and is a pretty rough class which usually means either the online class dumbs it down a bit or absolutely kills you.

Of course if you absolutely have no other option, just be prepared to answer why in an interview. It shouldn't be an app breaker as long as you aren't taking many pre-reqs and upper levels online.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would look at msar I know some Texas school can't remember which , but they DO NOT take online or ap Biochemistry

I'm taking biochem online, with permission from the school I'll matriculate at, and it's the worst academic experience I've ever had.