Are people going to the Caribbean now screwed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sharklasers

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
With residency getting more and more competitive... with more and more US schools opening up, do the people that matriculated this year know what they are getting into?

I guess I'm wondering if you guys think there will be a point in time when a student begins at a Caribbean school and there are decent hopes (like 50% or so now) of getting a residency, and 4 years later when its time for them to actually apply to residency, there is a very slim chance of them getting it (<20% or something).

If so, is that time now?

Members don't see this ad.

The reason I am asking is because I know a lot of people who just matriculated this year and more who are considering it in the future, and I am kind of worried about them.

They know only about 50% of students that go now make it to residency and that is fine, but I am wondering if the numbers they are looking at now will be significantly lower when its time for them to apply.

The reason I am asking is because I know a lot of people who just matriculated this year and more who are considering it in the future, and I am kind of worried about them.

They know only about 50% of students that go now make it to residency and that is fine, but I am wondering if the numbers they are looking at now will be significantly lower when its time for them to apply.

The ones who will graduate this year and next will probably find something even if its in the middle of nowhere. I think the first to feel it were the FMGs from India, Eastern europe etc.. they have a dismal rate of matching now. I think the spots that typically went to those FMGs are now being occupied by Caribbean grads. Starting this year, I'm seeing more and more American grads filling spots that Caribbean grads were getting previous years. Its starting to get competitive for everyone and you can see the trickle down effect.

The students matriculating now in the Caribbean are probably screwed yes - what i mean is that AVERAGE student. The superstars from anywhere will continue to probably match, is the average joe and worse yet those who do poorly will get the shaft. At the FMGs coming from India etc.. have a home country to go and practice medicine. I don't know what these Caribbean grads will do.

Members don't see this ad :)
The ones who will graduate this year and next will probably find something even if its in the middle of nowhere. I think the first to feel it were the FMGs from India, Eastern europe etc.. they have a dismal rate of matching now. I think the spots that typically went to those FMGs are now being occupied by Caribbean grads. Starting this year, I'm seeing more and more American grads filling spots that Caribbean grads were getting previous years. Its starting to get competitive for everyone and you can see the trickle down effect.

The students matriculating now in the Caribbean are probably screwed yes - what i mean is that AVERAGE student. The superstars from anywhere will continue to probably match, is the average joe and worse yet those who do poorly will get the shaft. At the FMGs coming from India etc.. have a home country to go and practice medicine. I don't know what these Caribbean grads will do.

images

Over even worse...they probably can't even get out of the education debt with bankruptcy.

They've been screwed all along. Nothing new.

The class that was just admitted, the first years now, have more students graduating than there are residency spots. FMGs entering into the match are going to find it next to impossible to find a spot. Sure, some of those allopaths will go unmatched; they don't want to be in North Dakota. But unless we expand the number of MD residency spots, we are going to have too many AMG MD/DO graduates, and not enough spots for everyone.

FMGs? Scu-rewed.

short answer: yes

DO + extra AMGs = no more residencies

When is the big hit supposed to be? I know the majority of influx of new med schools have opened their doors this year and last year, so is it logical to think that the big crunch will be the 2016 and above matches?

When is the big hit supposed to be? I know the majority of influx of new med schools have opened their doors this year and last year, so is it logical to think that the big crunch will be the 2016 and above matches?

It won't be a big hit, it will happen incrementally over a couple if years. New med schools are only a small portion of the equation, it's the fact that the AAMC had existing school increase their class sizes by 10-15% over the past few years. Gradually we are seeing US grads going to slots that Caribbean grads had historically taken, and Caribbean grads taking slots that foreign IMGs had historically taken. But the game of musical chairs only goes for so many rounds.

This is why people need to get high GPA's and high MCAT scores

This is why people need to get high GPA's and high MCAT scores

No, this is why people need to be born billionaires, so they don't have to do any of this at all. (sarcasm, obviously)

The class that was just admitted, the first years now, have more students graduating than there are residency spots. FMGs entering into the match are going to find it next to impossible to find a spot. Sure, some of those allopaths will go unmatched; they don't want to be in North Dakota. But unless we expand the number of MD residency spots, we are going to have too many AMG MD/DO graduates, and not enough spots for everyone.

FMGs? Scu-rewed.
What is the number of residency spots left over after all AMG allopathics match?

Is this hierarchy correct?

US allo > US DO > US Carib > US non carib > FMG?

Members don't see this ad :)
What is the number of residency spots left over after all AMG allopathics match?

There's a difference between US non carib and FMG? I didn't think there was a difference. You go to a foreign med school = FMG, regardless of citizenship. That was my impression, could be wrong.

There's a difference between US non carib and FMG? I didn't think there was a difference. You go to a foreign med school = FMG, regardless of citizenship. That was my impression, could be wrong.

Sure there is. Some residencies do not accept applicants who need a visa. Most programs will prefer applicants who are used to U.S. hospitals and speak the language fluently and don't need visas.

i think not being a US citizen is a disadvantage, so that's why i put FMG at the bottom of the barrel. but i might be using the term FMG incorrectly. I meant non-us-citizen fmg.

I think if you want to stay in the US it is better (financially, location and time-wise) to do Optometry, Dentistry, Podiatry or even Pharmacy if you don't mind not being a provider rather than going to the Caribbean or be an IMG. This is just my personal opinion. Not trying to troll.

The point of my post is that there WONT be any allo residency spots left after all AMG allopaths match. There will be prelim years and undesignated categoricals. As in, if you get one, you won't finish residency.

Now, no one be ignorant and say things like "not every allopath residency gets filled!" yeah, like in wyoming. There will always be places that don't fill, and spots will be available. but those number are dissolving and shriveling up like the testicles of that Cenegenics guy (because he's old and injected testosterone... i mean... "natural supplements")

And Us Allo > Us Do > Everyone else is the same, lowly and on the bottom Carib, Non Carib, FMG, don't matter (except for visas)

Unless the Gooberment decides to open up more residency spots. Uh oh. Med school is the new law school (with substantially more debt and no opportunity to practice)

And what about the top tier IMG schools like SGU/Ross/AUC which are no where the same as other Carib schools.

Yeah except the top students at US schools match into plastics and derm. The top FMGs get to match into halfway decent IM and gen surg programs if they're lucky right now and will probably just get the leftovers in FM and peds in a few years.

"The best will always get a place" only works if you realize that being the best at a Carib school will get you matched to a FM program in the middle of North Dakota.

This will disprove all the conjecture in the above post when you talk in extremes like you do:

https://apps.sgu.edu/ERD/2012/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1

And what about the top tier IMG schools like SGU/Ross/AUC which are no where the same as other Carib schools.

Everybody will feel the pain, some will delay it longer than others, but at some point the 94% of US allo grads that historically match each year plus another couple of percent in SOAP will equate to most of the spots. When that happens these offshore schools will be out of business even if they were the best of the bunch. It's not complicated -- if there is slim chance of a medical career on the other end nobody will go to even the best offshore school.

That was a great response. Fantastic.

first of all

on this thread, there are too many dumb pessimistic Americans who dont know how things work in an economy...people seem to forget basic laws of supply and demand

anyways moving forward with the comment below...everybody in SGU is not gunning for a US residency....some go back to other countries...if u check SGU website, it sets up open houses is various countries across the world whose graduates go back to their respective countries

of course not everybody matches coming out of caribbean...but making such bold statements like oh 1/3 of the class didnt match...oh i go to american medical school...so my d**k is big...is nonsense

get over yourself pessimistic dumb americans

Yeah I was exaggerating you caught me. SGU's match list still isn't anything to brag about. They didn't even match a third of their class.

http://www.sgu.edu/news-events/news...taining-postgraduate-residency-positions.html
http://www.stgeorgesuniv.edu/news-events/news-archives12-more-than-940-new-mds.html

You better get back to studying anatomy though so you can tell the dorsal scapular and phrenic nerves apart.

This just got interesting. :corny:

first of all

on this thread, there are too many dumb pessimistic Americans who dont know how things work in an economy...people seem to forget basic laws of supply and demand

anyways moving forward with the comment below...everybody in SGU is not gunning for a US residency....some go back to other countries...if u check SGU website, it sets up open houses is various countries across the world whose graduates go back to their respective countries

of course not everybody matches coming out of caribbean...but making such bold statements like oh 1/3 of the class didnt match...oh i go to american medical school...so my d**k is big...is nonsense

If you think "basic supply and demand" has anything to do with the number of residency spots in the US compared to the number of graduates who hope to match in those spots, you are clueless about how the system actually works. Ironic to rant about "dumb Americans" while displaying your own striking ignorance of the subject you are talking about.

Why, exactly, you would bring up the fact that some caribbean grads don't want to practice in the US at all I have no clue; welcome to the thread, we are talking about those individuals who go to the Caribbean hoping to match in the US.

If you think "basic supply and demand" has anything to do with the number of residency spots in the US compared to the number of graduates who hope to match in those spots, you are clueless about how the system actually works. Ironic to rant about "dumb Americans" while displaying your own striking ignorance of the subject you are talking about.

:thumbup::thumbup:

"In 2010, 2721 of the 23,421 available residency positions went to non-US IMG's while 971
American graduates (each with approximately $200,000 in student loans) and 5708 IMG's who
are US Citizens and permanent residents who have passed the required licensing exams and who
applied, were unable to find a position."

(http://residency-ready.org/uploads/NRMP_1_.pdf)

So that's 6,679 United States citizens that finished medical school, mostly have many thousands of dollars of loans and applied for the United States residency match that could not match in just one year.

Yeah except the top students at US schools match into plastics and derm. The top FMGs get to match into halfway decent IM and gen surg programs if they're lucky right now and will probably just get the leftovers in FM and peds in a few years.

"The best will always get a place" only works if you realize that being the best at a Carib school will get you matched to a FM program in the middle of North Dakota.

first of all

I also wanted to mention that 2012's entering class has 400 more students than the 2008's entering class that reflects on calvin's links but I had to study nerves so I didn't bother.

U dumb bro? That's the 2012 graduating class bud not the 2012 entering class.

Your first article talks about the 670 that received 2012 PGY1 placements and your second link talks about the 940 entering class of 2012.

Are you dumb?

Your first article talks about the 670 that received 2012 PGY1 placements and your second link talks about the 940 entering class of 2012.

Are you dumb?

So you're saying that the 940 people in the entering class of 2012 at St. George's had their M.D. degrees conferred on them instantly.

forget it man...i am not going to go on teaching u about how economy and a country like america works...what its demands are and how supply has to be matched...with the intervention of government and various other parties...... how I know this: i am a business management grad who is in medical school

there is huge amount of pessimism on this forum regarding everything

there is will be a increase in the number of residencies across the country to match the demand for doctors....i know what u people will now do...bring me articles on how this is not going to happen......good luck...but none of u can explain to me how a government generates funds to support the demands of basic needs (e.g. healthcare) in a country

stop the pessimism... ....after all if u show pessimism what will ur patients do?

Why, exactly, you would bring up the fact that some caribbean grads don't want to practice in the US at all I have no clue; welcome to the thread, we are talking about those individuals who go to the Caribbean hoping to match in the US.

forget it man...i am not going to go on teaching u about how economy and a country like america works...what its demands are and how supply has to be matched...with the intervention of government and various other parties...... how I know this: i am a business management grad who is in medical school

there is huge amount of pessimism on this forum regarding everything

there is will be a increase in the number of residencies across the country to match the demand for doctors....i know what u people will now do...bring me articles on how this is not going to happen......good luck...but none of u can explain to me how a government generates funds to support the demands of basic needs (e.g. healthcare) in a country

stop the pessimism... ....after all if u show pessimism what will ur patients do?

No.

1. Currently, the demand for the doctor shortage is only being eased by an increase in midlevels not an increase in doctors (aka residencies). This is likely to continue as the system can support the financial burden of more midlevels than more physicians.

2. Most of GME funding is via medicare. Residents don't have a strong lobby. Lobbyist for attendings and midlevels are going to get funding increases before residents.

3. Medicare is going to be overwhelmed by the baby boomers in the next 5-15 years. Any extra funding is probably not going to go to resident education.

4. When congress tried to cut medicare last year they already said GME was one of the first thing on the cutting block. Its clearly not a priority in our government.

5. No offense to your undergrad degree, but studying business in a classroom is very different than the real world. Unless you have worked in healthcare policy with an MBA/MPH for the past 10 years I don't really think your degree is relevant.

Finally its your burden to prove your argument about the government increasing the number of residency spots. I cited finite facts to support my argument. So far you have done zero to prove your point besides cite your less than your impressive credentials.

I suspect you are Caribbean student. I honestly wish you the best of luck, but hope you are not an M1 or M2. The coming years for Caribbean students are dim at best.

search function. + NOBODY KNOWS exactly how things are going to happen. I'd love to to see what crystal ball everyone else is looking into that knows exactly what legislation will be proposed, shot down, or accepted over the next for years, or even what financial situation the country as a whole will be in that allows them to make a definitive judgment on the actual prospects for carib students.

What is the greater likelihood: No carib students will match in 4 years OR Carib students will still match, but potentially not at the same current rates?

Obviously the answer is the latter. Your friends are taking a risk, as are any students who have came to a Caribbean school, but hopefully they should understand that. Mediocrity in a carib school won't see the same happy outcome as it will in a US allo school. Those that do well will still match. The big question is what happens to all the mid-level and lower-level students whose stats are on par or lower than their US allo counterparts. Only time will tell and trying to freak out your friends if that is their only options makes you a douche.

It amazes me these threads get so many replies from non-carib students and parties who should have seemingly 0 interest in the fate of carib students. It would seem that those who directly/indirectly put down carib schools/students are just trying to get themselves involved in the latest round of elitist dick measuring to reinforce an already inflated ego.

Yeah I was exaggerating you caught me. SGU's match list still isn't anything to brag about. They didn't even match a third of their class.

http://www.sgu.edu/news-events/news...taining-postgraduate-residency-positions.html
http://www.stgeorgesuniv.edu/news-events/news-archives12-more-than-940-new-mds.html

You better get back to studying anatomy though so you can tell the dorsal scapular and phrenic nerves apart.

The SGU match may in fact not be anything "special." Likewise, nor are half the match lists of the schools posted in the allo forum every year according to SDN members. So I guess that isn't bad company.

Also, not sure where you're getting the 1/3 statistic from?

Last edited:
search function. + NOBODY KNOWS exactly how things are going to happen. I'd love to to see what crystal ball everyone else is looking into that knows exactly what legislation will be proposed, shot down, or accepted over the next for years, or even what financial situation the country as a whole will be in that allows them to make a definitive judgment on the actual prospects for carib students.

What is the greater likelihood: No carib students will match in 4 years OR Carib students will still match, but potentially not at the same current rates?

Obviously the answer is the latter. Your friends are taking a risk, as are any students who have came to a Caribbean school, but hopefully they should understand that. Mediocrity in a carib school won't see the same happy outcome as it will in a US allo school. Those that do well will still match. The big question is what happens to all the mid-level and lower-level students whose stats are on par or lower than their US allo counterparts. Only time will tell and trying to freak out your friends if that is their only options makes you a douche.

nobody knows what will happen in the future - but what we DO know is that the # of residency slots will approximate the # of AMG graduates as of 2016. That is what we know NOW. Yes that might change. It might not. But you anyone in their right mind should tell someone to exercise extreme caution in going anywhere outside the US for medicine because things may not change, and so far not signs of things changing have arisen - in fact, programs are cutting slots.

you forget that is incredibly difficult to be above average. Thats why average is average.

Its not easy to make yourself a superior candidate compared to an AMG, this is especially true for people who struggled to achieve well academically in undergraduate classes and MCAT - part of the reason of why they are in the Caribbean in the first place. Just so there is not a flame war - i do know there are a number of grads who had similar "stats" as AMGs, and for whatever reason went south, but the great majority of Caribbean grads are not like that.

It amazes me these threads get so many replies from non-carib students and parties who should have seemingly 0 interest in the fate of carib students. It would seem that those who directly/indirectly put down carib schools/students are just trying to get themselves involved in the latest round of elitist dick measuring to reinforce an already inflated ego.

You are probably right on the last sentence. That happens at every division. TOP 10 school vs non-ranked, american vs Carribbean, probably top 4 carribbean vs other carribbean. The reason people are interested because it SIGNIFICANTLy affects AMGs as well. They are getting less and less choice each match regarding location preference and likely specialty as well.

caribbean was always horrible, is horrible, and will remain horrible.
DO is whatever
FMG/IMG are at a very significant disadvantage

However. a BIG however

Graduates from UK, Australia, Israel, Singapore, and Japan are treated equal to low tier US medical graduates, assuming their USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 score is at or higher than the average American scores on those 2 exams.

I have been told this from very credible sources who know what they are talking about, and applicants from these countries are instantly given special consideration over all the other FMG/IMG applicants

So those people who are considering going to Carribean or DO, first look at schools in the UK, Australia, Israel, and Singapore and try for them. yes they are more competitive in admission than carribean or DO but its def worth a shot. You usually need a 30 MCAT and a 3.4 GPA to be considered.

nobody knows what will happen in the future - but what we DO know is that the # of residency slots will approximate the # of AMG graduates as of 2016. That is what we know NOW. Yes that might change. It might not. But you anyone in their right mind should tell someone to exercise extreme caution in going anywhere outside the US for medicine because things may not change, and so far not signs of things changing have arisen - in fact, programs are cutting slots.
I agree. My issue, as I had stated in another thread before, was with the manner in which people go about these "warnings" they give. It's one thing to say, "it is in one's best interest to pursue all alternative options because the future prospects for CMGs does not appear to be on the bright side." Compare that to: if you go to a Carib school, you're screwed, you might as well take out a 300k loan and burn it...

I guess it's a message board so in reality I shouldn't get irritated with the tone people use, but human nature I guess?

you forget that is incredibly difficult to be above average. Thats why average is average.

Its not easy to make yourself a superior candidate compared to an AMG, this is especially true for people who struggled to achieve well academically in undergraduate classes and MCAT - part of the reason of why they are in the Caribbean in the first place. Just so there is not a flame war - i do know there are a number of grads who had similar "stats" as AMGs, and for whatever reason went south, but the great majority of Caribbean grads are not like that.
I'm aware of the difficulty. Again, I think it's just the tone people take which indirectly attempts to say, "well in all likelihood, if you had to go to the caribbean, you probably aren't bright enough to do well on the step 1 or in medical school in general." If a student was a dance major and got a 4.0 in college including the pre-reqs, but took no upper level courses, is that person necessarily more prepped to succeed than a person who only got a 3.1, but was a Physiology major? I just say that meaning straight numbers don't tell a whole story (even though generalizations typically hold true) and there are many unique circumstances that lead people to go the carib route.

You are probably right on the last sentence. That happens at every division. TOP 10 school vs non-ranked, american vs Carribbean, probably top 4 carribbean vs other carribbean. The reason people are interested because it SIGNIFICANTLy affects AMGs as well. They are getting less and less choice each match regarding location preference and likely specialty as well.

I understand that. But there really is no lower tier bashing here, i.e. don't go to blahblah state school, it's a no-name school and you'll never match in to plastics if you go. Further, other threads that actually discuss the residency issue discuss articles and what the recent changes have been and thoughts on them in a civilized matter as opposed to, "whelp, that just means you can't go to any lower-tier schools now unless you want to do family practice." If it's involving a carib school though, all hell breaks loose.

Read the articles. Around 670 matched, around 940 people graduated this year. So about a third of their class is doing...something besides starting residency this year in the US.

The second link you posted notes the fact that the graduation is inclusive of all the MD receiving students. The first link only referred to US students (or possibly inclusive of Canadians) getting spots in the US. There were 940 students total, so if we were to say that this last year's SGU demographics are anything similar to the 2012 class, only ~2/3... or 627 of those students were from the US. By that number, the match rate for SGU was 93.5% for its US students. I haven't seen an actual number posted by the school, but this sounds much closer to the 80 something % number I saw floating around somewhere before.

it doesnt matter the stats about carribean, including SGU match lists. IT WAS HORRIBLE, IT IS HORRIBLE, AND WILL ALWAYS REMAIN HORRIBLE.

I cant emphasize this enough but all applicants who are considering carrib and do, should also try for UK, Australia, Israel, Japan, or Singapore for medical school. Sliding into any of these schools is a far better option than going carrib or do. but again, the stats needed for admission usually 30 mcat, 3.4 gpa, are competitive enough to be considered for us allopathic so hence the reason why not many us applicants to the schools in these countries

I saw that list but I didn't feel like counting them...I guess you did. I was just going off what the article said so maybe they were underestimating in the article?

Frequently what happens at these schools is the match numbers reported officially include those students from previous years who did not match in their year of graduation.

This is borne out by the fact that the 5th pathway was discontinued years ago but graduates under that now-defunct program continue to show up in the official match list.

For those of you too lazy to read the linked SGU press releases...It could not be more clearly stated.

On Saturday, June 9, 2012, the Doctor of Medicine degree was conferred on more than 940 graduates during the St. George’s University School of Medicine....

2nd article: http://www.sgu.edu/news-events/news...taining-postgraduate-residency-positions.html
More than 670 graduates will enter their chosen fields in the US this June when they report to their hospitals....

it doesnt matter the stats about carribean, including SGU match lists. IT WAS HORRIBLE, IT IS HORRIBLE, AND WILL ALWAYS REMAIN HORRIBLE.

I cant emphasize this enough but all applicants who are considering carrib and do, should also try for UK, Australia, Israel, Japan, or Singapore for medical school. Sliding into any of these schools is a far better option than going carrib or do. but again, the stats needed for admission usually 30 mcat, 3.4 gpa, are competitive enough to be considered for us allopathic so hence the reason why not many us applicants to the schools in these countries

That's an opinionated statement based on 1 or few anecdotes. I've also been told before by a program director that their preference for their program is US Allo >> SGU/Ross > DO > IMGs > everything else. So what one person says doesn't create a standard that all people should abide by.

Further, those statistics are essentially the same for SGU, except I believe the last I saw were that SGU avg GPA was higher than 3.4 and the average MCAT was a 28. And LOL at the horrible match list. It's horrible because there are hundreds of students graduating. One would have to be blind to ingore the fact there are quite a few students who match into fairly respectable programs or specialties.

803 graduates matched and went into the following specialties arranged by most popular to least:

335 internal med ------- 41.7%
135 family med ------- 16.8%
97 pediatrics ------- 12%
72 surgery ------- 9%
55 psychiatry ------- 6.8%
35 emergency med ------- 4.4%
30 OB/GYN ------- 3.7%
17 pathology ------- 2.1%
13 anesthesiology ------- 1.6%
9 neurology ------- 1.1%
2 radiology ------- 0.25%
2 ophthalmology PGY-2 ------- 0.25%
1 neurological surgery ------- 0.125%
1 orthopaedic surgery ------- 0.125%
1 radiation oncology PGY-2 -- 0.125%

(there is some overlap but I wasn't scientific about it - https://apps.sgu.edu/ERD/2012/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1)

Ya...kind of glad I didn't go Carib. Only ophthalmology really interested me so 2/803 = 0.25% chance.

I bet DO match lists are better. Go US allo and DO!

Last edited:
first of all

on this thread, there are too many dumb pessimistic Americans who dont know how things work in an economy...people seem to forget basic laws of supply and demand...

Im not sure YOU understand the law of supply and demand. With a fixed number of residency slots, Demand in the US is a constant, so as supply increases, market share for places like the Caribbean decreases. Thus I think all of us dumb Americans are providing an accurate accounting of the law of supply and demand...

Graduates from UK, Australia, Israel, Singapore, and Japan are treated equal to low tier US medical graduates, assuming their USMLE Step 1 and Step 2 score is at or higher than the average American scores on those 2 exams.

I have been told this from very credible sources who know what they are talking about...

um no.

803 graduates matched and went into the following specialties arranged by most popular to least:

335 internal med ------- 41.7%
135 family med ------- 16.8%
97 pediatrics ------- 12%
72 surgery ------- 9%
55 psychiatry ------- 6.8%
35 emergency med ------- 4.4%
30 OB/GYN ------- 3.7%
17 pathology ------- 2.1%
13 anesthesiology ------- 1.6%
9 neurology ------- 1.1%
2 radiology ------- 0.25%
2 ophthalmology PGY-2 ------- 0.25%
1 neurological surgery ------- 0.125%
1 orthopaedic surgery ------- 0.125%
1 radiation oncology PGY-2 -- 0.125%

(there is some overlap but I wasn't scientific about it - https://apps.sgu.edu/ERD/2012/ResidPost.nsf/BYPGY?OpenView&RestrictToCategory=PGY1&Count=-1)

Ya...kind of glad I didn't go Carib. Only ophthalmology really interested me so 2/803 = 0.25% chance.

Odds are actually worse than this because these numbers are of those who actually got to the residency stage and ignores attrition, which isn't insignificant offshore like it is in the US.

Also, carribean schools are known to manipulate statistics like a boss, for example, pushing back certain students or even out right before the application season (as in, force them to leave or do another year). The bubble is going to burst very soon (2-4 years, imo).

And the truth finally comes out. Shnurek only went into optometry because he couldn't get into a real med school. He wanted to do ophtho but that was not an option for him. I'm tempted to post his quote on the ophtho board...all his trolling would finally be seen as trolling by all.

And the truth finally comes out. Shnurek only went into optometry because he couldn't get into a real med school. He wanted to do ophtho but that was not an option for him. I'm tempted to post his quote on the ophtho board...all his trolling would finally be seen as trolling by all.

lol you nitwit, I can't do microsurgery anyway because I don't have good stereopsis. I said "only ophthalmology interested me" in terms of residency choices, not "I wish I could have become an ophthalmologist."

lol you nitwit, I can't do microsurgery anyway because I don't have good stereopsis. I said "only ophthalmology interested me" in terms of residency choices, not "I wish I could have become an ophthalmologist."

Let's get real, you post in allo forum a lot and the above statements by you and this other fellow....

15p3gjr.gif

How do you manage to derail every thread you post in and not get banned?
Consider yourself blocked.