Are Personal Statements Really That Cheesy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank you, AKRanger. Now I'm craving deep-fried cheese w/ a side of jalapeno cheese dip AND I JUST STARTED MY P90X PROGRAM!!!!!

**SIGH** I'll just go and chew on some cardboard now.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Ed. I'm also writing my personal statement. I'm trying to find a theme that sounds authentic but I guess I'm just suffering from severe writers block. I was wondering if there are any resources out there that would help with structure/framework of a good essay. I really dont want to buy any books online but i will if need be.

Thanks,

-S

I don't have any suggested books. The one that I mentioned is particularly loathsome. But I do know how to get around writer's block. You start writing something, anything, even nonsense. You start quoting JFK and Hobbes and Locke and John Donne and FDR or even Calvin the comic strip character. You write like Jl Lin on a tear. (joking, joking)

After you read through what you wrote, you start to see a theme, then you can start over, just developing that theme.

My PS is fermenting right now. I'll come back to it in a few days and make final changes. But I'm pretty happy with it. It was my third try. The first two were pretty bad.

I agree there, but I think the question is do you want the low-fat cheese or the 4-cheese blend, with extra cheese and cheese on the side?

OK, well spicey in that is really good too. If it's got a bite, I like it.

Oh yea. Jalapeno and habanero. Ah, it's too late to eat. Darn. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you, AKRanger. Now I'm craving deep-fried cheese w/ a side of jalapeno cheese dip AND I JUST STARTED MY P90X PROGRAM!!!!!

**SIGH** I'll just go and chew on some cardboard now.

I was doing P90X. I got up to about the middle of it somewhere, and then I took annual leave for Christmas and was off and back home. Needless to say P90X took a back seat. I haven't started back up yet, but I think I'm going to start the whole thing over again next week. It's fun. Love it.

If you just started.... have fun with plyometrics. ;) wore my ass out

I was doing P90X. I got up to about the middle of it somewhere, and then I took annual leave for Christmas and was off and back home. Needless to say P90X took a back seat. I haven't started back up yet, but I think I'm going to start the whole thing over again next week. It's fun. Love it.

If you just started.... have fun with plyometrics. ;) wore my ass out

Sorry to add to any OT"ness," but you are the second person so far that has stated they love P90X. I was looking into it; b/c I soooo miss running at the track, but it has been too wet, too snowy, and just too darn cold. No excuses though. Have some equipment as well and was doing some Wii Fit too. I was looking for something else to mix things up. So I'm glad to see someone else is giving it the :thumbup:.

Imaginary PS openers:

The man strode up to the podium, and announced yet another name that was not my own; I was about to slide out of the first round and thought to myself, "Hey, why not medicine?" (NFL second round draft pick)

My mother was diagnosed with AIDS shortly after I was born. I was delivered by an American pre-medical student on the banks of the Ubangi River in the former Congo, and I knew from that moment I wanted to be a doctor, but more specifically I wanted to return the favor and specialize in high-risk pregnancies in the United States.

As a young boy, my dad bought me a plastic stethoscope for Christmas one year, and I began to auscultate the lungs and heart of my teddy bear. From that point on, I decided I wanted to become a physician, but only to bears. I looked into veterinary school, but unfortunately there are no fellowships in bear medicine, not to mention bears as a population are exceedingly healthy, especially in salmon season. I figured humans are pretty similar to bears, so here I am.

I have no clinical experience, I have no volunteering experience, I have not shadowed, I have no research experience, and I have not finished my college education. What I do have is a G.E.D. and a "give-em-hell" attitude. I feel like this would greatly increase the diversity of your upcoming medical school class.

Reactions: 2 users
Imaginary PS openers:

The man strode up to the podium, and announced yet another name that was not my own; I was about to slide out of the first round and thought to myself, "Hey, why not medicine?" (NFL second round draft pick)

My mother was diagnosed with AIDS shortly after I was born. I was delivered by an American pre-medical student on the banks of the Ubangi River in the former Congo, and I knew from that moment I wanted to be a doctor, but more specifically I wanted to return the favor and specialize in high-risk pregnancies in the United States.

As a young boy, my dad bought me a plastic stethoscope for Christmas one year, and I began to auscultate the lungs and heart of my teddy bear. From that point on, I decided I wanted to become a physician, but only to bears. I looked into veterinary school, but unfortunately there are no fellowships in bear medicine, not to mention bears as a population are exceedingly healthy, especially in salmon season. I figured humans are pretty similar to bears, so here I am.

I have no clinical experience, I have no volunteering experience, I have not shadowed, I have no research experience, and I have not finished my college education. What I do have is a G.E.D. and a "give-em-hell" attitude. I feel like this would greatly increase the diversity of your upcoming medical school class.

This one is a winner. HIV + babies + Africa + serving mankind. Heck, you don't even need a GPA or MCAT score. Or an interview. Just show up to the school of your choice!

Ranger, I didn't realize how out of shape I was. I used to do body-for-life religiously but then life caught up with me. After having my last 2 kids, I looked at my rear in the mirror and noticed it had fallen behind my knees, so I got P90X. The commercials reminded me of PT in the Army for some reason, so I figured it would be good for my motivation. I just did the first workout yesterday. I wanted to quit before the warmup was over, but I stuck it out. I feel good today, not too sore (I REALLY paced myself, but I finished it.) But workout 2 is scaring me.

Okay, back to your regularly-scheduled writing thread.

Okay, back to your regularly-scheduled writing thread.

I'm sorry for all of the soapbox stuff. This thread has really done wonders for me, not only as help for getting my PS in order, but also for letting me vent about good writing for a little bit.

If its ok with you all, let me say just a LITTLE bit more. There is a language out there that one writing book calls "Engfish". It's the writing language of people who are trying to sound important.

They utilize words when they could just use them. They verb nouns. Writing their sentences, they start with participal phrases - thinking that verb phrases sound descriptive. Her point of view switches randomly. The voice of the writer, not to say the speaker, is stylistic and full of very compound and complex sentences, that is, sentences filled with many unconnected thoughts, which are the virtue of a man, that is to say, humankind. The beautiful, wonderful, glorious adjectives of the marvelous English language are utilized and their adverbial counsins are constantly, satedly, fully, redundantly said, again and again. Their verbs are weak.

I edit a church newletter with a circulation of about 10,000. Our churches are small and this newsletter is the main method of communication in the organization. New evangelists and missionaries occasionally introduce themselves to the churches by submitting articles. The previous paragraph displays how most of those articles read.

It's my job to turn these articles into something that accurately represents these good men, because their writing does not.

Last edited:
Ed, I think all the politicians on Guam speak Engfish. The older ones didn't speak English as their first language, and although the younger ones did (we are losing our native tongue, it's a long and sad story) there is still a large prestige factor involved in getting your education in the States and then going back to the island. When they speak, it seems like they are trying to demonstrate that they have an edumacation and know how to use every archaic word in the dictionary. Please, man, just say what you're gonna say and move on!

Q, I am curious. Have you sat on an admission committee? I ask this b/c you have gone into some detail on this.
Yes, this is my third year serving as a student adcom. I read apps (including PSes!), interview applicants, attend adcom meetings, and vote on apps.

About the latter person's statement, I've found that people can be judgmental at times about other people and what they presume the person is about in whatever they are saying and writing. People can project in the negative from within themselves. It's the other person or the writer, not perhaps their biased or limited or negative perspective. That's hard, but it's a subjectivity that clouds things. Communication occurs on two ends, even if the onus for the message comes from the sender. Plus there is all kinds of static and other types of interference.
People are judgmental about other people the majority of the time, not only "at times," and I don't hesitate to include myself in that judgment. ;)

If your argument is that I'm being judgmental by suggesting that quoting a famous person is intellectually lazy, I'll grant that. But in my defense, the PS is your opportunity to show yourself off in the best possible light. To emphasize this point: it is your opportunity to show *yourself* off in the best possible light. I don't have a ton of sympathy for most people who don't put the time and effort into writing an organized, grammatically correct essay. You know exactly what question you need to answer; you can think about what you want to say for months, even years; there is no chance that you might freeze because of being asked an unanticipated question; you are not under a strong time pressure to get the essay done; and you have the opportunity to use spell check and ask anyone else you want to read it. Presumably, you want to attend med school badly enough that you're willing to jump through multiple hoops to get here. I don't understand why expecting people to write a decent essay is too much to ask.

The benefit of sharing in person is that people can sense the non-verbal communication to get a fix on the person's level of sincerity and such. This can be much harder to do in writing. And then there are those that seem to achieve this, but then when you interview them in person, you get a different sense. I guess that is why a multi-tired approach is best in this whole application process. I like to cluster data when I evaluate things. I'm more holistic too in that I try to take in the whole person and define what may be influencing me. If the interview isn't matching up with the PS, I think it will come through. Chessy seems like it's a straightforward kind of thing; but that is not necessary so. That's all I'm saying; hence, chessy is as chessy does. :)
I agree that a person's written versus verbal vibes may be completely different, and that's why we interview people in the first place. However, you have to get through the screening first in order to be extended an interview. How sincere you might be in person is irrelevant in this context if you never make it to the interview stage in the first place.

Q, I genuinely appreciate your cerebral, straight-up style.
Well, my intentions are good, even if I'm not always as tactful as I could be. :oops:

Hmmm, maybe I'm oversimplifying this whole PS business. I honestly can't see stressing too much over it.
No, I don't think you're oversimplifying it. The general concept is very simple: explain in a properly written essay why you want to go to med school. Now granted, that's sometimes easier said than done. But hopefully anyone who is capable of earning a college degree is also capable of A) coming up with a reason why they want to go to med school, and B) writing about it in a coherent essay.

I guess I really do think we can over think writing the PS, at least initially. One thing we try to do with students is to get them to write honest feelings or positions, and they later work on content and other editing.

IMHO no one that is truly a writer does so without editing, editing, and more editing. But people can kill any kind of flow state by having all that pre-editing anxiety. I say go for honest flow and then go back after to cut, edit, re-word. After that you go back at least a dozen more times. When you are done with that, you let others tear it apart only so that you can go through this whole process all over again. LOL It's exhausting and humbling.
This is pretty much the same procedure that I follow when I write, too. Usually, my first draft of an essay is way too long, way too repetitive, and way too wordy. I end up moving half of it around to other places, cutting out large chunks, etc.

Well, let's see how's this for an essay? Seriously.

"I want to become a doctor because after working in the medical arena and some serious introspection I've decided that's the career for me."

It's rather simple and matter of fact. I'm not suggesting I'd write that, but it's certainly succinct and lacking in floweriness.
You know, AR, the best response to one extreme is not usually the opposite extreme. :laugh:

If your argument is that I'm being judgmental by suggesting that quoting a famous person is intellectually lazy, I'll grant that.

Actually my argument was not that you were judgmental or anything. I was referring to people in general and singling out no one. If my honest intention was to single out someone in order to be truly productive and constructive about something, I would simply PM or approach them individually, rather than doing so within an open forum.
So when I said some people, I specified no one.
I appreciate the discussion and the advice. I'm a pretty tough little female from the NE. :)

What I meant is that I feel people can be too readily judgmental about others, when most of the time, it is simply more productive to look within.

I don't get consumed in what others do and measure myself against it. I guess that is something that also makes me an atypical kind of student. I truly believe that it is good to be competitive, just so long as that competition is based on my growth and not to "outdo" or feel better than anyone else. That's a delusion anyway. Neither do I want to try to diminish whatever a person does or experiences or communicates, because I don't think or appreciate things as they do or because they take a different approach to communicating.
The truth is, I can really only change me, and that is no easy task. J Furthermore, I don't allow others to determine my worth. My worth is determined by my maker and me. In the same way, I don't want to diminish anyone else's worth or the value, necessarily, of what they write.

There's a point where the evaluation process on anything moves into the more subjective over the more objective. Language and communication is never stagnate; it is dynamic. Those that sit on committees for say MLA or APA and determine "best practices" in writing and source documentation are often updating and changing things. The same is true for language grammarians and language "stylists." Anyone can look at pieces written from fifty to a hundred years ago and see how much has changed, just as western and world societies have changed. Even in structure, the English language has moved so much from its Germanic/Indo-European origins, just as also German has moved from its origins.

Beyond any of that, styles in writing have pretty much always varied, just as some epic storytellers around the campfire thousands of years ago varied in their dramatic emphasis, word use, and tone. So, in my view, you could make yourself crazy becoming a stickler over such things.

My position is that you can't go wrong in using clear and genuine communication. If, however, someone can word things well such that it has impact that rings true, they should do it. If they can use some of those million dollars words suitably without waxing ridiculous, I say, "fine." (I'd hate to think people only learned such words in order to score well on the verbal portion of the SAT. LOL)

Also there is this whole argument that can be made about the "dumbing down" of society. We are no longer a society of readers. Most students today have no idea what the great books are or what it means to be a part of the "great conversation." Classical education is all but dead, except for a few sparks of regeneration here and there. This is sad to me. I see people that do not find the value of great literature and why it matters.

Interestingly, those folks that do read and appreciate great classical works and great dramatic works tend to score higher on the inferential reading components of various standardized tests. This is why I include at least excerpts of these works in class and encourage students to read them rather than only reading scientific journals. The students in my class jump up considerably in their inferential reading skills as they engage in reading these things and participate in the related exercises.

Still, at some point these kinds of discussions become like the one on the other thread about whether having a 3.7 GPA from Harvard is "better" than a 4.0 from a state school.

Ah well to tilt at windmills or not! To me that depends on a person's ultimate motivations, character, and whether others will truly benefit from such actions or not.

With regard to my original points in this thread, without knowing the whole story on the individual applicant, I can't in honesty say whether or not what they are trying to communicate is ultimately noteworthy and worthy of respect or appreciation.

About whether one should use another's quote or not, that depends. The question really is, how does it work with what you or I, as the writer of the ps, has to say? If it can carry a point home with impact while not seeming awkward or as though the person is working too hard, well OK. Use it. But I would be careful in doing this. It's a personal statement. It's no one else's statement but that of the individual person. It's one of those times where what a person writes is predominately all about them. So that is where the sense of it being genuine and true will come into play.

As far as the applicant is concerned, the best advice may be from Socrates; "Know thyself." Truthfully that IMO is not at all an easy task; although it may be more so for some than others.

All I can really do is to strive to know myself and be honest to that and judge me accordingly, whether it is in reference to writing or anything else.

Last edited:
I looked through one of those books 1 time only. My husband and I have laughed ever since about the opening sentence of one of them, that was something like "As my Birkenstocks crunched the warm dry ground of the Ghanaian village..." :lol: It was too much.

I hate personal statements and cover letters and all forms of self-advertisement. I hated writing it and was sure that anyone who read it would hate it too. But, I got in anyway, so at least it's behind me for now. I just wrote about why I wanted to go to medical school.

Jl lin, I hear you when you say that we shouldn't be judged according to some arbitrary standard, and that we shouldn't have to be competitive against others, only striving to be the best that we can be. I believe that and live my life that way, and I try my best to raise my kids to think that way, as well. I personally hate it when people comment on my choices simply because it isn't what "most people" (read: the critic) would do.

However, the reality of the admissions process is that we ARE being judged by our PS and everything else on our application, and we ARE competing with everyone else for limited slots. I don't think it was meant to be anything but a practical measure, since there are so many qualified applicants per cycle and relatively few spots. But it has evolved, at least in some respects, to having to conform to a certain model of what adcoms generally expect to see. And as Q stated earlier, medicine is still a very conservative field--a lot of things are still done simply because "they've always been done that way."

Right or wrong, it's how the game is played. If the adcom wants me to dot all my i's with rhinestones, then that's what I'll do. If they want me to handwrite my PS in calligraphy, then that's what I'll do. If they want me to write in a particular style, then that's what I'll do.

Having said that, there is still plenty of leeway for a clever applicant to let her own personality shine through while still conforming to the generally-accepted or preferred format. That's the tricky part--to balance your PS such that it fits the accepted/expected form, but to still express your individuality.

Members don't see this ad :)
Jl lin, I hear you when you say that we shouldn't be judged according to some arbitrary standard, and that we shouldn't have to be competitive against others, only striving to be the best that we can be. I believe that and live my life that way, and I try my best to raise my kids to think that way, as well. I personally hate it when people comment on my choices simply because it isn't what "most people" (read: the critic) would do.

However, the reality of the admissions process is that we ARE being judged by our PS and everything else on our application, and we ARE competing with everyone else for limited slots. I don't think it was meant to be anything but a practical measure, since there are so many qualified applicants per cycle and relatively few spots. But it has evolved, at least in some respects, to having to conform to a certain model of what adcoms generally expect to see. And as Q stated earlier, medicine is still a very conservative field--a lot of things are still done simply because "they've always been done that way."

Right or wrong, it's how the game is played. If the adcom wants me to dot all my i's with rhinestones, then that's what I'll do. If they want me to handwrite my PS in calligraphy, then that's what I'll do. If they want me to write in a particular style, then that's what I'll do.

Having said that, there is still plenty of leeway for a clever applicant to let her own personality shine through while still conforming to the generally-accepted or preferred format. That's the tricky part--to balance your PS such that it fits the accepted/expected form, but to still express your individuality.

Hear ya jinx. Bottom line is that there is no either/or. Actually the field has shifted in the last couple of decades from desiring the more conservative, bio major, 4.0, dull as mud students. They want diversity in thought; especially since many in medicine (who may or may not belong to the AMA--really most don't) realize that medicine is often as much of an art as a science--even in light of evidence-based practice. (Don't get me started on some folks' over ridity on the use and application of EBP. It's fine, but if it is too rigid, it has seriously major limitations in application. People will always be individuals and not widgets--but that's another thread.)

I LOL at the Birkenstock sample given above. I mean, really. Now that is just plain silly. He or she could share the impact of his/her experiences in Ghana without sharing designer labels. :lame:

Instead I might choose this: :cool:

As my Payless BoBos crunched the . . . LOL

So, this is why I say be true and honest in your "telling."
(Now I feel like I'm getting ready for the four questions at Pesach.)

Yes, it's clear that the applicant doesn't want to risk :spam: ING :barf:
IT UP. ;)

Last edited:
As my Payless BoBos crunched the . . . LOL

***SIGH*** jl lin, have I not taught you anything? You are forgetting about the HIV+ babies in Africa.

***SIGH*** jl lin, have I not taught you anything? You are forgetting about the HIV+ babies in Africa.

Oh, sorry.

Originally Posted by jl lin
As my Payless BoBos crunched the hard Ghana ground, I tripped over endless rows of HIV+ babies . . .

Oh, sorry.

Originally Posted by jl lin
As my Payless BoBos crunched the hard Ghana ground, I tripped over endless rows of HIV+ babies . . .

There you go! I would add something to the effect of..."as I sailed through the air and fell on the dusty land of my forefathers, I realized that I wanted to give back to humanity all that I, a mere human being in a sea of vastness, have been blessed to receive."

Are we having a worst PS introduction contest now? Ok, here is my spin on another fairly common theme:

"I want to be a doctor because I have always been fascinated by the human body. Growing up, all of the other kids collected baseball cards, but I collected anatomy flashcards. After memorizing every card, I decided that my favorite bone is the hamate, because it has a hook. In fact, you could even say that learning about bones like the hamate was what "hooked" me on to medicine."

Are we having a worst PS introduction contest now? Ok, here is my spin on another fairly common theme:

"I want to be a doctor because I have always been fascinated by the human body. Growing up, all of the other kids collected baseball cards, but I collected anatomy flashcards. After memorizing every card, I decided that my favorite bone is the hamate, because it has a hook. In fact, you could even say that learning about bones like the hamate was what "hooked" me on to medicine."

Hahaha. Good god, that is so horrible. :thumbup:

There you go! I would add something to the effect of..."as I sailed through the air and fell on the dusty land of my forefathers, I realized that I wanted to give back to humanity all that I, a mere human being in a sea of vastness, have been blessed to receive."

Wow. LOL :laugh:

Boo Hiss. :D

Is that from Jeffrey Dahmer's PS? LOL, at least it seems, well, sort of genuine.:laugh: Guess he left out the part about the actual samples in the fridge. :uhno:

Geez.

What's wrong with simple, factual statements?

"I want to be a doctor because after some exposure to the field and self-evaluation I've made the conclusion that medicine is the career for me."

Again, not saying I'd write that, but it's got to be what most people think.

"I want to be a doctor because after some exposure to the field and self-evaluation I've made the conclusion that medicine is the career for me."

Q, you have to feel a little sorry for the guy who writes about his childhood fascination with medicine. He has no compelling story to tell. Take, for instance, the kid who started the thread "a different kind of non-trad". At 17, the kid has no interesting experiences. He's dedicated his childhood to getting into medical school as soon as possible. His personal statement would be, at best, a self-congratulatory peon to himself and his parent's dedication. At least his youth makes him unique.

But what about the average upper middle class pre-med student. Sometime around 19 years old, she decided that she would like to be a doctor. It's a good career and she was a good student. So she joined the pre-med group, got a summer job at the hospital, shadowed some physicians and got her professor to let her do some research. She's got a 3.7 and made 31 on the MCAT. Now she's 21 and median applicant to med school. In order to get in, she needs to stand out in some way. How?

She has no life-story to tell. "Each night as my dad came home from a weary day of counting money at the bank." ---- "When I failed to get elected to the cheer squad, I knew I had to stand out with my mind." --- "Having lost 15 pounds with the Teen Weight Watchers, I know how important health is."

I suspect that the majority of applicants to medical school are in exactly this shape.

Geez.

That's got to be better than the guy who started the thread asking if he was going into medicine for the wrong reasons:

"After getting my heart broken by a girl, I decided that the best way to avoid that in the future was to become a physician. Because owning a Ferrari and dating really, really, really, really good-looking chicks are two of my life's burning ambitions, I've decided that becoming a neurosurgeon is the right path for me."

All joking aside, there's another thread floating around SDN somewhere which was started by a premed who had a realistic view of why he was considering a career in medicine. He (?) was honest about his reasons, which weren't entirely altruistic, and he knew that there were going to be some payoffs further (further!) down the road but a lot of BS before he got there.

I just wonder how one would go about phrasing that for the PS: "I realize that this job will entail a lot of hard work and sacrifice, but the prestige factor, job stability, and monetary compensation are worth it to me. Oh, and I'm kinda fascinated by the human body."

I must admit, I found this hilarious until I started to fixate on the word "hamate". Ham? Ate? Am I allowed to eat a ham and cheese sandwich on this stupid p90x "nutrition plan"? Mmmm. What about with mayo? WHAT? HALF A SANDWICH WITH NO MAYO? AND WHO INVENTED LOW-FAT CHEESE?

I don't think I'm going to be able to stick with the diet portion of this program.

my favorite bone is the hamate, because it has a hook. In fact, you could even say that learning about bones like the hamate was what "hooked" me on to medicine."

I had no idea what bone the hamate is, but you have made my future gross anatomy class just a little bit easier, because I will never be able to forget this hand bone now. "Hamate: The Ham got Ate when I Hooked it with my Hand."

Geez.

I agree...there is an expectation that you need to have a profound reason or experience that has propelled you in to medicine.

Doesn't age and experience teach you to approach major decisions (buy a house, change careers, going 200k in debt) with logic?

Has anyone done this or seen it done in a PS or interview?

It has to be better than "When I was 10, I broke my arm and..."

Boo Hiss. :D

Is that from Jeffrey Dahmer's PS? LOL, at least it seems, well, sort of genuine.:laugh: Guess he left out the part about the actual samples in the fridge. :uhno:
Oh, come on. You have to admit that it's a perfectly horrible intro, and so cheesy that you can't help but groan aloud. Forget cheese: this intro is so bad that it's cheese food. :laugh:

Q, you have to feel a little sorry for the guy who writes about his childhood fascination with medicine. He has no compelling story to tell.
I didn't mean to suggest that people can't or shouldn't have a childhood interest in medicine that they relate in their PS. My dad is a retired GP, and I mentioned that fact in mine, though it wasn't my primary theme.

In my spoof, it was more the corniness that I was going for here, not that people shouldn't talk about a childhood interest in medicine, or even an interest in the human body. Though if you tell me that you're going to med school because you're fascinated by the human body, don't be too surprised if my next question is, "ok, so why not a PhD in anatomy?" :D

I must admit, I found this hilarious until I started to fixate on the word "hamate". Ham? Ate? Am I allowed to eat a ham and cheese sandwich on this stupid p90x "nutrition plan"? Mmmm. What about with mayo? WHAT? HALF A SANDWICH WITH NO MAYO? AND WHO INVENTED LOW-FAT CHEESE?

I don't think I'm going to be able to stick with the diet portion of this program.
I don't eat ham, so no issues for me there. But you have my sympathies, because ham and cheese addiction is a major problem among medical trainees.

I would break that word up as Ham Mate. As in, for every ham, you need to have a partner for it. No ham wants to be alone in this world. And what do you know, we *do* have a pair of hamates, one in each wrist. :cool:

I had no idea what bone the hamate is, but you have made my future gross anatomy class just a little bit easier, because I will never be able to forget this hand bone now. "Hamate: The Ham got Ate when I Hooked it with my Hand."
Don't worry, I wouldn't have known what it was either except that I got randomly pimped on all of the bones of the wrist recently. :rolleyes: :p

I agree...there is an expectation that you need to have a profound reason or experience that has propelled you in to medicine.

Doesn't age and experience teach you to approach major decisions (buy a house, change careers, going 200k in debt) with logic?

Has anyone done this or seen it done in a PS or interview?

It has to be better than "When I was 10, I broke my arm and..."
Ah, but many people *don't* approach any of these decisions with logic, which is why we are currently buried in so much of this economic excrement.

Ah, the wrist bones. Some Lovers Try Positions That They Can't Handle.

The elusive perfect PS. Needs to be catchy, but with substance. Should be short and sweet, but speak volumes. If I were really creative (which I'm not) I would have written a limerick. Instead I wrote about opportunity: the knock of opportunity, the wasted opportunity, and the upcoming opportunity.

Just wait until you have to write another PS for residency applications. :laugh:

Q, you have to feel a little sorry for the guy who writes about his childhood fascination with medicine. He has no compelling story to tell. Take, for instance, the kid who started the thread "a different kind of non-trad". At 17, the kid has no interesting experiences. He's dedicated his childhood to getting into medical school as soon as possible. His personal statement would be, at best, a self-congratulatory peon to himself and his parent's dedication. At least his youth makes him unique.

But what about the average upper middle class pre-med student. Sometime around 19 years old, she decided that she would like to be a doctor. It's a good career and she was a good student. So she joined the pre-med group, got a summer job at the hospital, shadowed some physicians and got her professor to let her do some research. She's got a 3.7 and made 31 on the MCAT. Now she's 21 and median applicant to med school. In order to get in, she needs to stand out in some way. How?

She has no life-story to tell. "Each night as my dad came home from a weary day of counting money at the bank." ---- "When I failed to get elected to the cheer squad, I knew I had to stand out with my mind." --- "Having lost 15 pounds with the Teen Weight Watchers, I know how important health is."

I suspect that the majority of applicants to medical school are in exactly this shape.

So why'd you reply to my message with all this, Ed?

Now don't dog the nutrition plan. I like it. It's the healthiest eating I've done for any sustained period since I moved out of my parents' house, lol. I use mayo on my sandwiches. Cheese is allowed. I don't think ham is. Use wheat bread. I adhered fully to it for about three weeks and loss seven or eight pounds. However, I do not want to lose weight. I just wanted some physical activity other than running since I don't lift weights anymore. The heck with low fat cheese. Eat real cheese. It's ok.

Now don't dog the nutrition plan. I like it. It's the healthiest eating I've done for any sustained period since I moved out of my parents' house, lol. I use mayo on my sandwiches. Cheese is allowed. I don't think ham is. Use wheat bread. I adhered fully to it for about three weeks and loss seven or eight pounds. However, I do not want to lose weight. I just wanted some physical activity other than running since I don't lift weights anymore. The heck with low fat cheese. Eat real cheese. It's ok.

You know what? I don't need to lose weight and I already pretty much follow a modified glycemic index/mediterranian diet (give or take a few twinkies) b/c one of my daughters has diabetes, so I just make my family's meals w/ that in mind. Cut back on the refined foods, whole grains, lots of veggies, good fats, etc. So I don't think my diet was that bad to begin with. But once you get on a DIET you start to fixate on what you can and can't eat, how many portions/ounces is this chicken breast, should I weigh this out, etc. Or at least I do. Then I start to fantasize about chocolate cake, when normally I eat what I want in moderation and don't have a problem with either portion or impulse control. It's just that DIET mindset.

Okay, Ed, sorry I keep hijacking this thread, but I'm hungry.

Oh, come on. You have to admit that it's a perfectly horrible intro, and so cheesy that you can't help but groan aloud. Forget cheese: this intro is so bad that it's cheese food. :laugh:

:D.

Yep. I'd even say it was more like head cheese, which isn't really cheese I think. Whatever it is, I think it makes Spam look kosher.
:eek:

Yep. I'd even say it was more like head cheese, which isn't really cheese I think. Whatever it is, I think it makes Spam look kosher.
:eek:

Mmmmm...a Spam and CheezWhiz sandwich with extra mayo...what? Oh, yes, Q's entry into the worst-PS-in-the-world contest was cheesy. Very cheesy, indeed.

Mmmmm...a Spam and CheezWhiz sandwich with extra mayo...what? Oh, yes, Q's entry into the worst-PS-in-the-world contest was cheesy. Very cheesy, indeed.

Oh just go get some fried chicken with a side of mayonaise and a big gulp cola.

Oh just go get some fried chicken with a side of mayonaise and a big gulp cola.

Why, thank you, Piglet, I do believe that's exactly what I shall do. YUM, YUM!

I suppose this is what some men feel like when they decide to choose monogamy.

No more DIETS for Mama Heffalump!!! Yay!!!

Last edited:
Sorry to derail, but the real reason I'm going into medicine, which I remembered since QofQ posted about the hamate, is I was an Orioles fan growing up, and I remember Mickey Tettleton broke one of his hamate bones when he was hit by a pitch.

I had a feeling of solidarity with Mickey, because I too, had been hit by a pitch, but at a batting cage, at 12 years old, but instead of breaking a hamate, my right index finger was sheared open on the middle finger side and it needed nine stitches to close. I did them myself, that's when I knew I wanted to be a physician.. or a seamstress.. seamster? What's the word for a male seamstress?

Just kidding (about doing the stitches myself and wanting to be a seamstress), that's not why I'm going into medicine. But that did really happen. :(

[Edit: Crap.. I can't remember if it was Mickey Tettleton or not. Could have been David Segui, hard to say. Whoops, I need some fact-checking monkeys.]

What's the word for a male seamstress?
I'd tell you, but I'd get banned for violating the conduct code :)

Acutally, I would hate to have to write a PS if all I had for a "why medicine" answer was some stupid story like that. Does anyone REALLY choose medicine because he or his family were patients?

People choose medicine because they believe that they can do it and that it would be profitable for them and for people that they care about. They also like the idea of feeling good about doing their daily work.

I'd tell you, but I'd get banned for violating the conduct code :)

Acutally, I would hate to have to write a PS if all I had for a "why medicine" answer was some stupid story like that. Does anyone REALLY choose medicine because he or his family were patients?

People choose medicine because they believe that they can do it and that it would be profitable for them and for people that they care about. They also like the idea of feeling good about doing their daily work.

I don't know, Ed, I'm sure there are plenty of people who "go into the family business" b/c everyone in their families are doctors, or who really did choose medicine b/c they've seen or experience chronic illness and something about the medical staff sparked something within them. I do agree that it would be tricky to craft that into a compelling PS, though.

I'd just hate to be the guy whose PS states he wants to be a doctor to bed a lot of hot chicks, buy a Ferrari, and to avoid getting his heart broken again.

Wouldn't a male seamstress be a tailor?

For the record, getting stitches in my right index finger isn't the reason I'm going into medicine, if there was any ambiguity with how I worded that last post... :laugh:

I had a feeling of solidarity with Mickey, because I too, had been hit by a pitch, but at a batting cage, at 12 years old, but instead of breaking a hamate, my right index finger was sheared open on the middle finger side and it needed nine stitches to close. I did them myself, that's when I knew I wanted to be a physician.. or a seamstress.. seamster? What's the word for a male seamstress?

I'm trying to picture how this happened...the ball sliced open your finger? why was the ball so sharp? ow!

I'm trying to picture how this happened...the ball sliced open your finger? why was the ball so sharp? ow!

It's the force of a moving object against the skin. Energy transfered to the skin causes the skin to move, but the bones remain in place, and the muscles, tendons, and ligaments that have a stronger affinity to the bone than the skin remain with the bone- all resulting in the skin avulsing. Degloving injuries are pretty heeby jeeby.

It's the force of a moving object against the skin. Energy transfered to the skin causes the skin to move, but the bones remain in place, and the muscles, tendons, and ligaments that have a stronger affinity to the bone than the skin remain with the bone- all resulting in the skin avulsing. Degloving injuries are pretty heeby jeeby.

I see...you'd think I'd never taken physics :oops:. thanks for the explanation!

I wonder if batting gloves would have made a difference? I was batting bare-handed at the time. Maybe calf skin is stronger than my skin.

Anyway, I didn't even notice what had happened, and may not have right away if my dad hadn't been there to freak out and all the color drained from his face when he saw my hand bleeding.

Does anyone REALLY choose medicine because he or his family were patients?
Yep, that's actually a large part of what triggered my decision to go down this road at my age. And it's what my personal statement is about, cheesy or not.

Well, you know accountants aren't grilled on why they want to become accountants so why should future doctors be? I think it's stupid. If that's the job I want to do then who are you to suggest that I shouldn't or stipulate that I won't. I think the whole admissions process is rather repugnant. Yeah, you can make the argument that "certain people" don't belong in medicine but who are we to judge or be judged? If a person can go to school, get through it, and pass the appropriate licensing exams then I have no problem with it.

Well, you know accountants aren't grilled on why they want to become accountants so why should future doctors be? I think it's stupid. If that's the job I want to do then who are you to suggest that I shouldn't or stipulate that I won't. I think the whole admissions process is rather repugnant. Yeah, you can make the argument that "certain people" don't belong in medicine but who are we to judge or be judged? If a person can go to school, get through it, and pass the appropriate licensing exams then I have no problem with it.
Because the difference between medicine and most other professions is where the gate is placed. In most professions (law, research, accounting, etc.), pretty much anyone can go to school, but a large number of these students either don't graduate or don't pass their respective licensing exams. But in medicine, getting into school is very difficult, and many applicants do not succeed in getting the opportunity to matriculate. However, once a person matriculates into a medical school, nearly everyone makes it through the program and passes the licensing exams. Considering how much money and how many physical resources we invest as a society in training physicians, I think it's actually quite logical to try to not let people who are still "finding themselves" do their soul-searching while they're in medical school.

Because the difference between medicine and most other professions is where the gate is placed. In most professions (law, research, accounting, etc.), pretty much anyone can go to school, but a large number of these students either don't graduate or don't pass their respective licensing exams. But in medicine, getting into school is very difficult, and many applicants do not succeed in getting the opportunity to matriculate. However, once a person matriculates into a medical school, nearly everyone makes it through the program and passes the licensing exams. Considering how much money and how many physical resources we invest as a society in training physicians, I think it's actually quite logical to try to not let people who are still "finding themselves" do their soul-searching while they're in medical school.

I agree whole-heartedly. And still, there will be many (I'll even go so far as to say "everyone", at some point) who will question their decision to go into medicine. Some will burn out, some will become bitter and disillusioned, and some will suck it up and soldier on. I hope most end up loving their careers, or at least enjoying them. But because it is so hard to get into med school, premeds as a group tend to focus on the acceptance rather than the realities of the physician-making process. I've read a lot of "is THIS particular flavor of volunteer work considered "clinical?" here on SDN. But not nearly enough "OMG. Do I really want to spend the rest of my life compiling two-foot tall stacks of paperwork to comply with X government regulations?"

I agree whole-heartedly. And still, there will be many (I'll even go so far as to say "everyone", at some point) who will question their decision to go into medicine. Some will burn out, some will become bitter and disillusioned, and some will suck it up and soldier on. I hope most end up loving their careers, or at least enjoying them. But because it is so hard to get into med school, premeds as a group tend to focus on the acceptance rather than the realities of the physician-making process. I've read a lot of "is THIS particular flavor of volunteer work considered "clinical?" here on SDN. But not nearly enough "OMG. Do I really want to spend the rest of my life compiling two-foot tall stacks of paperwork to comply with X government regulations?"
Well, no system is perfect. :p

But all kidding aside, we really do try very hard to make sure that premeds have some real-world experience with seeing what physicians do, which is the point of requiring that applicants do some shadowing or clinical volunteering. It doesn't help anyone, including the applicant, if they get to med school and find out that medicine was nothing like what they thought it would be. Even when you have tons of clinical experience, as many of us on this forum do, the reality of med school is still pretty shocking compared to the expectation (speaking for myself, at any rate). No matter how spiritually prepared you think you will be, you will still have some moments of truth. Also, some people have a harder time figuring out what part of medicine they really love than other people do. But I do think you're right that most people find some niche in medicine that they can at least tolerate or enjoy, if not love.