Are pre-interview updates worthwhile?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DAWG4Life

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering writing an update to send to all of the schools I haven't heard from. I have one II from my state school but no rejections or IIs from 17 other schools. Can that be helpful? I was thinking that at least someone might look at my file again.

However, it will mostly consist of how I have doubled my hours at two volunteer positions 40->80hrs and 20->40hrs.
Worthwhile or no?

Cheers!

Members don't see this ad.

maybe after winter. An update now will just be seen as impatience, especially since we are in prime time for the interview season. so just relax a bit

60 more hours is not worthwhile enough to justify a pre-interview update, IMO. Silence from most of your schools is totally normal at this point in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you really think that the Admissions dean is going to run out of his office and scream at his/her secretary "we have to invite this kid!! He has 120 volunteering hours now!!!"

?????

I'm considering writing an update to send to all of the schools I haven't heard from. I have one II from my state school but no rejections or IIs from 17 other schools. Can that be helpful? I was thinking that at least someone might look at my file again.

However, it will mostly consist of how I have doubled my hours at two volunteer positions 40->80hrs and 20->40hrs.
Worthwhile or no?

Cheers!

Reactions: 3 users
Lol. What types of updates would be worthwhile? I'm assuming any new publications, new jobs, that kind of thing - but what else could be acceptable?

Lol. What types of updates would be worthwhile? I'm assuming any new publications, new jobs, that kind of thing - but what else could be acceptable?

FWIW, I got an award from a national nonprofit and was told I should definitely update schools.