Are re-applicants looked down upon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Stalker

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I usually post in the pre-allo thread, but I've been doing some serious thinking and met with several advisers at my school. I'm a senior in college, graduating this May. In a nutshell

29 MCAT: 9-9-11 for Ps-Vr-BS
3.7 GPA
BS: biochemistry

NY resident, and I'll be graduating from one of the large state schools in NY.

If I apply this cycle with a 29, don't get in anywhere, and I am to apply next cycle (june 2016), having a higher mcat score (on the new exam), will schools hold it against me if they have rejected me once before? I'll have, of course, developed my application more with some more clinical and non-clinical volunteering, everything else is basically there. Will a school hold it against me saying "you applied before, we said no, why are you here again...?" If that's the case I don't want to jeopardize my future chances, thanks so much and good luck to all.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally no, so long as you strengthen the weaknesses in your application and are not applying with the exact same stats.

I would suggest that you contact the admissions office of schools you are reapplying to and try to see where they thought you came up short. If they are willing to discuss with you how they would like to see you improve, then listen and follow through. If not, then nothing lost.

Also, apply early for your best chance--and by early I mean within that first month after AMCAS opens for submission. I cannot stress enough how much getting it in as soon as possible could help your odds.

And I'm sure you know this, but be sure to apply to schools that are feasibly in your reach based on your stats, that helps too.

I was a reapplicant, and I made it with similar stats (30 MCAT, 3.9 gpa, etc.). Good luck to you!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Our school doesn't pre-screen, and so someone who applied and was interviewed (but rejected can be interviewed a second time. Our the application form, it will note that the person is a reapplicant. this leads one of the interviewers to always ask "So how have you improved since the last app cycle?"

So expect that question if you snag an II.

reapplicants do get "flagged" but not as negative or positive, but rather for comparison, at schools where you previously applied. They would look for, as was mentioned above to see if fixed weakness, etc. This is why I always suggest to reapplicants to always refresh their PS statement. Imagine a school has your old and new application side by side and see the same exact PS. What does that say about a student's desire, motivation, effort.