Are schools having trouble filling seats?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

q1we3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard UHCO is well short of filling their usual 100 seats. If UHCO is having trouble filling seats what about the newer schools? Anybody else heard anything on this matter? State schools with fewer seats and big scholarships won't have any trouble. But, I definitely see number of seats being filled decreasing for private colleges with 70+ seats. NECO is asking for help recruiting with new social media website and advertising on Boston's trolleys to recruit students. What? Do you think some of these schools will become like the carribean med schools which constantly advertize to recruit enough students to fill their pockets. I think desire to pursue optometry among college grads (compared to medicine or density ) is slowly on the decline with the new schools and high tuition. I don't think schools can keep lowering their standards every year just to fill seats.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I heard UHCO is well short of filling their usual 100 seats. If UHCO is having trouble filling seats what about the newer schools? Anybody else heard anything on this matter?

No problems here at SUNY :) I mean its supposed to happen. Too many schools opened up and the tuitions got too high. The only way to self-adjust is to dilute the applicant pool and bankrupt the new colleges. Lets just hope we don't end up like Podiatry where basically anyone can get in :p And they are still called physicians, make more and can do extensive surgery :p

No problems here at SUNY :) I mean its supposed to happen. Too many schools opened up and the tuitions got too high. The only way to self-adjust is to dilute the applicant pool and bankrupt the new colleges. Lets just hope we don't end up like Podiatry where basically anyone can get in :p And they are still called physicians, make more and can do extensive surgery :p

Anyone doesn't get in podiatry. It requires the mcat. Get your facts straight.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone doesn't get in podiatry. It requires the mcat. Get your facts straight.

ya average MCAT of 21

Its still medical school and curriculum is harder than optometry.

I told you to stop making a fool of yourself a long time ago lol.

It is a fact. Have a nice day.

Podiatry is not medical school.

I know. But the curriculum is very similar to medical school. Podiatrists have a very important role in health care and they need to be familiar with medicine.

I know. But the curriculum is very similar to medical school. Podiatrists have a very important role in health care and they need to be familiar with medicine.

i kinda wish it's not true but it is. our podiatry residents rotate in IM, ER, derm, and even psych! they do everything even manage DKA, 1st assist in Triple A repair, and stabilize acutely manic patients.

i kinda wish it's not true but it is. our podiatry residents rotate in IM, ER, derm, and even psych! they do everything even manage DKA, 1st assist in Triple A repair, and stabilize acutely manic patients.

Precisely! That's what I am talking about.

Precisely! That's what I am talking about.

Our optometrists also has "Physician" on their badge, in big bold letters like the MD/DO badges. Kinda deceiving, I thought I was talking to a DO ophthalmologist in the clinic once but turns out to be an optometrist!:p

Our optometrists also has "Physician" on their badge, in big bold letters like the MD/DO badges. Kinda deceiving, I thought I was talking to a DO ophthalmologist in the clinic once but turns out to be an optometrist!:p

Yes, we all love that label of being a doctor. I could care less because for me it is all being an entrepreneur anywhere in life.

Members don't see this ad :)

Optometrists are physicians according to CMS and Medicare since 1986. Where are you if I may ask?

It's a good sign. What I am afraid is that they will lower the admission standard to fill up the class with subpar students.

Isn't UHCO a public university with relatively low in-state tuition (like $20k/year)? How is UIW?

I heard UHCO is well short of filling their usual 100 seats. If UHCO is having trouble filling seats what about the newer schools? Anybody else heard anything on this matter? State schools with fewer seats and big scholarships won't have any trouble. But, I definitely see number of seats being filled decreasing for private colleges with 70+ seats. NECO is asking for help recruiting with new social media website and advertising on Boston's trolleys to recruit students. What? Do you think some of these schools will become like the carribean med schools which constantly advertize to recruit enough students to fill their pockets. I think desire to pursue optometry among college grads (compared to medicine or density ) is slowly on the decline with the new schools and high tuition. I don't think schools can keep lowering their standards every year just to fill seats.

Last edited:
Oklahoma's in state tuition is $14k. Low oat TS of 295. Only 28 students accepted. What's wrong with this school?

What a bunch of crap almost all of the replies in this thread are; petty ego fights and insults. You should all have higher standards than wasting your time making such posts; it's embarrassing to yourselves and your future professions.

Oklahoma's in state tuition is $14k. Low oat TS of 295. Only 28 students accepted. What's wrong with this school?
Very little.

Great scope of practice, small class size, and access to some of the best clinical experience without having to travel.
Our clinic got 4th years from 6 different schools and they were consistently the best.

I'm not an alum, but I think it would be my first choice for my kid to attend.

When I see a class of 160 is when I say, "What's wrong with this school?"

What a bunch of crap almost all of the replies in this thread are; petty ego fights and insults. You should all have higher standards than wasting your time making such posts; it's embarrassing to yourselves and your future professions.

Its really only this one that popped in that random comment when she (if that's really her) got into medical school probably b/c of affirmative action:
what the? for that much tuition they better be letting you all do laser eye surgery.

Then she doesn't answer my question about where she is located. Just a useless poster.

Very little.

Great scope of practice, small class size, and access to some of the best clinical experience without having to travel.
Our clinic got 4th years from 6 different schools and they were consistently the best.

I'm not an alum, but I think it would be my first choice for my kid to attend.

When I see a class of 160 is when I say, "What's wrong with this school?"

How is life like at Oklahoma besides tornados?

I agree with you optsuker. If only Oklahoma opened up their admissions to all 50 states one year ahead of time I might be there right now. Can I go there for an externship?

How is life like at Oklahoma besides tornados?
Ignorant.

I agree with you optsuker. If only Oklahoma opened up their admissions to all 50 states one year ahead of time I might be there right now. Can I go there for an externship?

Go there for residency.

Ignorant.

Yeah, I know it is an ignorant state. Most of America is.

Wow. You are right, go to Liberia.

When I said the word "ignorant" you automatically reply with an African country "Liberia." - Racism.

Then you want to be an optometrist. Good luck.

When I said the word "ignorant" you automatically reply with an African country "Liberia." - Racism.

Because everyone in Liberia is black.
Good one :thumbup:

I mentioned it because it is a dilapidated country, not because of racism.

Because everyone in Liberia is black.
Good one :thumbup:

I mentioned it because it is a dilapidated country, not because of racism.

The racist will always try to clean up their words.

The racist will always try to clean up their words.

Play the race card, Al Sharpton.

You called Oklahoma, a mostly white state, ignorant. Therefore you are racist :)

Ehhhhhh just because the MCAT for pod school is lower doesn't mean they are trained poorly. Many schools have didactic work identical to MD/DO students.

And you're right, pods do make more $$ and can do surgery. Jealous?

Ehhhhhh just because the MCAT for pod school is lower doesn't mean they are trained poorly. Many schools have didactic work identical to MD/DO students.

And you're right, pods do make more $$ and can do surgery. Jealous?

Foot surgery, very jealous.

I figured! More than 25% of human bones are in the feet making it a very complex extremity!

I guess if you'd rather rather perform surgery on eyes....oh wait....

Play the race card, Al Sharpton.

You called Oklahoma, a mostly white state, ignorant. Therefore you are racist :)

I never said anything pertaining to race and Oklahoma. If I did, prove it.

I said, "How is life like at Oklahoma besides tornados?" Don't put words in my mouth.

Did CMS and Medicare label us as physicians? or are you saying that just because we can bill the same?

Did CMS and Medicare label us as physicians? or are you saying that just because we can bill the same?

It boggles my mind that you are a practicing Doctor of Optometry and you do not know this. In 2009 the Joint Commission that accredits most hospitals in America started using Medicare's definitions of physicians. Therefore in most hospitals ODs are physicians and also according to Medicare. Look up Medicare's definition of a physician. Now we are lobbying to get Medicaid equity as well.

http://namss.blogspot.com/2009/06/joint-commission-updates-definition-of.html

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&...bK3fku&sig=AHIEtbRBB4qvJFRanxxu_39G33kFtoxUEA

Last edited:
I never said anything pertaining to race and Oklahoma. If I did, prove it.

I said, "How is life like at Oklahoma besides tornados?" Don't put words in my mouth.

Post right after...
Yeah, I know it is an ignorant state. Most of America is.
I used your logic in saying I am racist because I mentioned Liberia with your mentioning of Oklahoma. Therefore if I am racist that I mentioned an African country, you are racist for saying a mostly white state is ignorant. Not as fun anymore when your own reasoning can be used against you no? O wait, you lack logic so I doubt you will understand what I did here.

Your 2.3 GPA is really showing here. I hope you don't get into any graduate school or that you miserably fail out after gaining many thousands of dollars of loans.

I wonder which is worse a pre-opt or a pre-med?

Post right after...

I used your logic in saying I am racist because I mentioned Liberia with your mentioning of Oklahoma. Therefore if I am racist that I mentioned an African country, you are racist for saying a mostly white state is ignorant. Not as fun anymore when your own reasoning can be used against you no? O wait, you lack logic so I doubt you will understand what I did here.

Your 2.3 GPA is really showing here. I hope you don't get into any graduate school or that you miserably fail out after gaining many thousands of dollars of loans.

I wonder which is worse a pre-opt or a pre-med?

1) You initially said "Ignorant." Then I said "Yeah, I know it is an ignorant state. Most of America is." Clearly you called Oklahoma ignorant when I was the one asking about life in Oklahoma. So does that mean that your calling all white people racist? Hypocrite.

2) America is a racist country. In your logic, you feel that when one says racist they are going against 1 group (whites), when in my logic many and any group can be racist! (Blacks, whites, Hispanics, Asians.) You feel this way because you are offended and want to forget about slavery and history.

3) My GPA is not 2.3. We will not go over this.

In summary, you wish bad upon someone in a public forum? - Shows how immature and 22 years old you are.

Last edited:
face%20palm_thumb%5B2%5D.jpg

Its really only this one that popped in that random comment when she (if that's really her) got into medical school probably b/c of affirmative action:

Then she doesn't answer my question about where she is located. Just a useless poster.

lol

You really should be jealous. Last time I checked, you can't go onto the CoastalContacts website and buy an ankle reconstruction for half of what it costs in a DPM's or orthopedic surgeon's office, but I could be mistaken. Any field that can bill for its services at a high level and not get screwed by retailers, has an edge over optometry. Anyone who claims that optometry has an "edge" because of the retail component, doesn't understand what's happened over the past few years and what is just about certain to happen in the future. It's no longer an asset, it's a major liability.

Remember Shnurek, with both vision and medical plans declining reimbursement and increasing requirements seemingly every minute, you stand to lose money on virtually every "eye exam" patient who comes in and does not buy from your optical. That means you PAY to see that patient. If it costs you $80/hr to keep your office running, but you get paid $40 to see a patient for an exam, you need to see 2 patients per hour just to break even if they don't buy from you. I don't remember the citation, but I read a recent study that put the average OD office in the country at about 1.1 patients per hour. Hmmmmm........

It's hard to sell a patient on the idea that they should buy their Air Optix Night & Days from you for $68/box when they can go online and get the same lenses mailed to their home for $39/box - a $116 savings over your office for an annual supply. Online prices are going to get cheaper as the online retailers' business expands and you know what will happen? Wait for it............waaaaaaaaaaait for it...........private ODs will go start going down like Hugh Hefner at a mansion party. They've always relied on optical revenue as a huge portion of their gross income.

You just don't get it, dude. You're in a profession that has been gutted. Our services are devalued to the point that we'll never get it back. Our previous primary income stream, optical, has been stolen from us by online retailers, and the amount of red tape that we have to cut through just to see a simple red eye patient to be billed to medical, has been increased 100 fold. "Meaningful use," coding regulations, EMR regulations, it's all designed to make things more and more difficult on the practicing doctor. When you're a neurologist making 350K, you can afford to take a bit of a hit and still do pretty well. When you're an OD making 120K in your private office, working just as hard as the guy making 350K, you don't do so well.

So, in summary.......while the MD orthopedic surgeons might be able to get away with it, you might want to stop laughing at the podiatrists since many of them will be driving by your Walmart Box in a shiny Mercedes on the way into their private practice.

Last edited:
So, in summary.......while the MD orthopedic surgeons might be able to get away with it, you might want to stop laughing at the podiatrists since many of them will be driving by your Walmart Box in a shiny Mercedes on the way into their private practice.

While pods face their own set of professional problems, I do have to say that a large chunk of their income is not derived from product sales but rather procedures. And they can actually call themselves foot surgeons and not worry about orthopedics screaming foul.

I have a friend who is a podiatrist. She was telling me about these procedures where they use autologus blood serum injections as treatment for certain conditions and this other procedure called shockwave where she delivers high frquency energy into the foot. Whenever she needs the device, she calls the company and they come out to her office.

Reminded me of LASIK etc but ODs do not have these priveleges, except in 1 state. And no one is begging ODs to come into the nursing homes for epilation procedures vs in grown toe nails, diabetic foot exams, etc. :(

Last two posts are excellent. You can belittle podiatry as much as you want but it is a great profession.

That's awesome but I don't want to do foot surgery lol. I'd say dentists have it better than pods because they can practice after 4 or 5 years of training while pods need to do a 3 year residency after 4 years of pod school I believe.

That's awesome but I don't want to do foot surgery lol. I'd say dentists have it better than pods because they can practice after 4 or 5 years of training while pods need to do a 3 year residency after 4 years of pod school I believe.

Dentist have an unarguably better lifestyle. But I want to do (real) surgery and foot problems are only getting worse due to obesity and aging populations, so I'll have job security.

Doctor titles aside, a podiatrist manages more complicated cases than an optometrist. That's unarguable.