Are some schools really that "bad"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

0bumblebee0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey
So i've been reading a lot of posts on here about how some schools such as PCO and SUNY "threaten" to kick their students out and as someone who has already paid my deposit there (pco) it is not reassuring to read stuff like that about your school. And some current students and practicing Optometrists say they would never do it again or go into a different profession (im sure you all know who those people are)

And no this post is not about how i am unsure of going into the profession and am considering a different path. But i think that every individual has a different experience and these forums are filled with negative experiences, there should be some what of a balance. Students with different experiences should contribute and share their personal experience so other students who come on here don't always feel like every single student in optometry school should just quit and go into a different profession.

So if there are any current students out there who have had different experiences please share with the rest of us.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hey
So i've been reading a lot of posts on here about how some schools such as PCO and SUNY "threaten" to kick their students out and as someone who has already paid my deposit there (pco) it is not reassuring to read stuff like that about your school. And some current students and practicing Optometrists say they would never do it again or go into a different profession (im sure you all know who those people are)

And no this post is not about how i am unsure of going into the profession and am considering a different path. But i think that every individual has a different experience and these forums are filled with negative experiences, there should be some what of a balance. Students with different experiences should contribute and share their personal experience so other students who come on here don't always feel like every single student in optometry school should just quit and go into a different profession.

So if there are any current students out there who have had different experiences please share with the rest of us.

Your thread-title and your post seem not to go together. Are you asking whether people feel certain schools are sub-par, or for people to share positive comments about optometry?

Like with most endeavors in life, if you go in with reasonable expectations, you will be less likely to be disappointed. Everyone is different, and every school experience will be different for each person. You might love optometry and your specific school, while others might really dislike the experience. But I do caution everyone to be realistic about the ridiculous tuition prices and the current trajectory of the career. There are better and worse fields right now, you just have to determine how much you like the actual career and the material that you will be studying.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey

whoa who said what about suny? I've read the pco ones but not about suny ... link?

whoa who said what about suny? I've read the pco ones but not about suny ... link?

I've heard SUNY and Berkeley are the hardest schools, wouldn't surprise me if 10% got held back...all schools will "kick you out" if you fail enough classes.

I've heard SUNY and Berkeley are the hardest schools, wouldn't surprise me if 10% got held back...all schools will "kick you out" if you fail enough classes.
If you look on opted.org student enrollment data the 2011-2012 school year the average program held back (the page refers to it as repeat) 1.13% of their student population. SUNY came it at 1% and Berkeley at 1.5%. For the record UABSO was the highest at 6.25%.

Hey

You really need to do your own research when it comes to stuff like this. There are forums and websites that are filled with negativity, but you can't always believe everything you read because one person's experience won't necessarily be yours. Personally I asked A LOT of questions when I did my shadowing, I shadowed with optometrists in different states (while on vacation) and in different settings (private, lenscrafters, walmart, etc). Also before I chose a school, I got in contact with optometrists who attended the schools I was considering. I emailed them and asked them A LOT of questions, about the profession, about their experience at the school, whether they were having a difficult time paying back loans, about their daily routine after school, their lifestyle, their personal life, etc. Ask lots and lots of questions, it's the only way to really figure things outs.