Are Sub-Internships required at most programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TR2000

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a MS4 and am debating whether or not to do a Sub-I. At my school we are allowed to substitute the Sub-I with some alternative courses, and that many of the faculty members actually recommend not doing the Sub-I as it is more like a repeat of the 3rd year and would not be like a true Sub-I experience.

My question is whether this truly matters when you apply to competitive programs, and do they actually place an emphasis or check to see if you did a Sub-I? Also I have pretty average board scores and did not honor my 3rd yr medicine rotation. At this point, I'm debating on doing a Sub-I, and would like to know if this something that could make or break me.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Required? I don't know. However, I think it would be exceedingly ill-advised to apply to medicine without doing a Sub-I in medicine.

Required? I don't know. However, I think it would be exceedingly ill-advised to apply to medicine without doing a Sub-I in medicine.

Why do you think it is ill-advised?

I don't think it matters personally. I didn't do a sub-i in medicine and i'm an intern now. I interviewed at a mix of university/academic programs and I think I was asked like 2 times if I was doing a sub-i. I just told them no my school didn't require it...explained what they did require (med-icu, er, etc.), and gave them my reasons for not choosing to do a sub-i (ie. doing sub-specialty medicine rotations b/c I have to decide over the next year to apply for fellowship with the possibility of not even doing an elective in it over my intern year).

Most people will argue that it 'will prepare you for intern year...'... I'm only a couple weeks in, but I don't think doing a sub-i would have helped much at all, unless you are planning on staying at your home hospital...then it might help with learning some of the day to day stuff that helps you get your job done and you out of the hospital at a reasonable hour.

Thanks for the input Ranmyaku. I was wondering if anyone else can add anything to this as well.