Are Texas dental schools really OOS unfriendly?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

preden

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Thanks..

Members don't see this ad.

he he. i had just posted this earlier from the San antonio vs Un of Buffalo page... =\ why, i dont know...

here are numbers from adea book to give you an idea : OOS applicants/interviews/enrolled
Baylor: 579/19/9
UT - Houston branch: 410/3/1
UTHSC San Antonio: 278/11/4

I have a question for OOS applicants though:
What other incentive (other than the amazing tuition rates) are there for you guys? why texas :confused:?

Members don't see this ad :)
he he. i had just posted this earlier from the San antonio vs Un of Buffalo page... =\ why, i dont know...

here are numbers from adea book to give you an idea : OOS applicants/interviews/enrolled
Baylor: 579/19/9
UT - Houston branch: 410/3/1
UTHSC San Antonio: 278/11/4

I have a question for OOS applicants though:
What other incentive (other than the amazing tuition rates) are there for you guys? why texas :confused:?

I'm not applying to any of the TX schools only because of the low OOS acceptance...but I would have liked to because I have family in Katy...I was even going to go to UT Austin for undergrad, but it ended up being a lot cheaper staying in FL. Not to mention, cheap real estate! :p

They just happen to be Texas friendly.

To tie into shat doc toothache said, from 2000 to 2008, it is estimated that 3.5 million people moved to Texas. During that time ~2,200 dentists graduated from the 3 dental school. Now others did get into schools other than Texas, but the numbers aren't going to be that extreme. That said, if we just look at the numbers of popluation to dentists, the ratio has stayed fairly constant over this time. So, even though very few out of staters are accepted, we still aren't gaining ground because if you compare the ratio of dentists per 100,000 people, Texas still falls approximately 40% under the national average of dentists per 100,00 people. (59 to 36).

It isn't that Texas wouldn't be happy to accept an out of stater. It is that Texas NEEDS the dentists to stay in state because of the overall shortage of dentists here. Now, people in Houston, SA, DFW and Austin may say otherwise because those areas are saturated with dentists, but overall the state is undermanned when compared to the national average.

With the baby boomers at that age where retirement is right around the corner (once the recession is over), you can anticipate the shortage getting even worse as they retire.

Texas just wants to keep dentists here. Out of staters are more likely to leave.

For those intersted in numbers, here is an intersting report by the Texas Department of State Health Services.
http://www.dshs.state.tx.us/chs/hprc/DenHigh.pdf

Call the school's and ask to speak to the registrar about residency statutes, depending on your situation, things may be in your favor.

Ex: no dschool in your state, family connection in that state, school connection etc

If your absolutely 100% OOS icedspice's numbers say a lot :)

Call the school's and ask to speak to the registrar about residency statutes, depending on your situation, things may be in your favor.

Ex: no dschool in your state, family connection in that state, school connection etc

If your absolutely 100% OOS icedspice's numbers say a lot :)

To be considered an in state resident, you must have lived in the state for a minimum of 12 months prior and needed to have moved here for gainful emplyment and ot to set up residency for school purposes. If a parent lived in Katy, that is one thing. You could get away with that. I know someone who did at SA. But, if it is an Aunt/Uncle/Cousin, etc., you will not be able to be considered an in state resident. This would be brought out when you fill out the application to prove your residency status.

I'm not applying to any of the TX schools only because of the low OOS acceptance...but I would have liked to because I have family in Katy...I was even going to go to UT Austin for undergrad, but it ended up being a lot cheaper staying in FL. Not to mention, cheap real estate! :p

duude, i live in katy haha... the world is indeed small.

but see, you had a legit reason to apply as an OOS. You could have played with that reason that you have family here and you plan on staying here i guess :) you would have been given an interview at the least.. then it would be up to you to shiiiiine =D

when i was looking at stats, i always wondered WHY OOS ppl bothered applying to texas. sucks to have wasted aadsas fees. researching the schools beforehand helps =D