Are the Odds in my Favor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medtechvet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not the full stats, planning on taking the MCAT early next year.
Navy Vet., 5 yr surgical tech. in OMFS.
Lot of clinical experience: pre-anesthesia, intraop monitoring, post-op recovery, supervisory roles within the Navy, yada yada yada.
Completed a BS in Health Admin. during my enlistment, but from an online school . 3.78 GPA from there.
Now, I'm at a decent under grad school in SC. My stats aren't great though.
3.5 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA. A lot of classes from colleges I enrolled in early in my enlistment transferred here, but they don't get rolled into this GPA. However, all those grades, except from when I was 19, were all A's. I still have senior year left, with some interesting Bio classes coming up. I had a string of B's in chemistry (Gen Chem through O chem) B+ in calc, but upward trend from my first math classes at this school. And B+ in my Intro to Bio Classes (A in all labs).
Volunteer at the city hospital ED dept. No research, but I'd like to. There's a few opportunities in the fall. I can get great LOR's, and from what I've been told, my creative writing is a strong suit when it comes time for my PS. I'm looking into DO, and as much flack as I may get, I'd like to go to USUHS. Something about the military I've always been drawn to.
Not an URM, but I come from an interesting place and had some interesting adolescent and teen years. A side note, I bought my first house when I was 20, now that I'm 26 and married we own another home; not sure if that has any importance whatsoever. But I take pride in it since I came up from so little. If worded correctly, should I add that to my PS?
Thanks for any criticism, even the trolls are welcome.
Good day.

Members don't see this ad.

Assuming your MCAT is in the normal range (510-515), I think you'll have a decent shot at MD given your background, though you should apply DO as well. If its sub-510, you should probably focus mostly on DO with some MD thrown in (such as USUHS), and if it's above 515, come back and we'll talk.

It's really hard to give you a definite answer without at least an inkling of what your MCAT score will be.

I'd reckon you've got a good shot at DO schools and maybe even lower-tier MD's (MCAT-dependent) as long as you keep an upward trend, get a decent MCAT score, and apply broadly. You've got a very respectable background and quite the experiences.

Best of luck and thank you for your service!

Members don't see this ad :)
More than merely "in your favor".

And many thanks for your service to our country!

Not the full stats, planning on taking the MCAT early next year.
Navy Vet., 5 yr surgical tech. in OMFS.
Lot of clinical experience: pre-anesthesia, intraop monitoring, post-op recovery, supervisory roles within the Navy, yada yada yada.
Completed a BS in Health Admin. during my enlistment, but from an online school . 3.78 GPA from there.
Now, I'm at a decent under grad school in SC. My stats aren't great though.
3.5 cGPA, 3.28 sGPA. A lot of classes from colleges I enrolled in early in my enlistment transferred here, but they don't get rolled into this GPA. However, all those grades, except from when I was 19, were all A's. I still have senior year left, with some interesting Bio classes coming up. I had a string of B's in chemistry (Gen Chem through O chem) B+ in calc, but upward trend from my first math classes at this school. And B+ in my Intro to Bio Classes (A in all labs).
Volunteer at the city hospital ED dept. No research, but I'd like to. There's a few opportunities in the fall. I can get great LOR's, and from what I've been told, my creative writing is a strong suit when it comes time for my PS. I'm looking into DO, and as much flack as I may get, I'd like to go to USUHS. Something about the military I've always been drawn to.
Not an URM, but I come from an interesting place and had some interesting adolescent and teen years. A side note, I bought my first house when I was 20, now that I'm 26 and married we own another home; not sure if that has any importance whatsoever. But I take pride in it since I came up from so little. If worded correctly, should I add that to my PS?
Thanks for any criticism, even the trolls are welcome.
Good day.

Thanks to all for the feedback! Much appreciated everyone.