Are there always so many high DAT scores posted on SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ixyz

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
It's like all i'm seeing these past few weeks are scores from 24-27 (and even one 30). I myself got a 24 and a bunch of my friends got 24/25's. Is it something with this particular year or do people score this high every year?

Members don't see this ad.

Not necessarily. SDN is only a certain fraction of the many that take it. Some don't even know about this website, some know it and don't use, and some keep things to themselves, and some don't care lol. Keep in mind that those who do well probably didn't use this site as a reference. Also, those who don't do so well don't post things because they think it looks bad on them or that they may be embarrassed. I don't know....I'm just throwing things out there lol. You got a 24 and that's a great score and I think that you are definitely set to get in where you want. Good luck!

Also, people who post breakdowns do well and want to share how they studied. There are lots of people who don't do well and thus do not post a breakdown. In other words, you mostly only see people who get 20+ scores on these forums.

Even so, there does seem to be an upward trend in scores over the past couple of years due to the range of resources that are available. I don't have evidence but it certainly seems that way.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mean, I could be wrong, but people who got an 17-18 AA aren't exactly going to be rushing to share their results. Likewise, the SDN audience is likely not as interested in these peoples scores/ study methods.

I understand that people with high scores post more frequently than those with low scores. My question is whether such a high amount of high scores were posted in the previous years

There is a reason that a 23 is ~90th percentile in some sections, because more people do worse. I BOMBED my first DAT so bad, that I didn't even post a breakdown. I am sure that is how it goes for some people that use this site. I am retaking in the middle of October, so hopefully I will finally be able to post my breakdown then

I think some students are not posting here at all..their scores could be bad so they need to reschedule their test and most important to improve their knowledge base. So those who posted are some lucky people who know a lot. I wish I know that much :))

I see it this way.
Most everyone who wants to go to dental school takes DAT pretty seriously and they study hard. They all do.
But getting a 20 vs 25 is probably only a couple of problems apart(maybe a little more), so if certain problems play out to your strength, you can call it your luckiest day of your life.
People who got 4~5 questions that they have no clue or have forgotten, it's their unlucky day.

People who received stellar scores vs who received mediocre scores might have had similar or identical study plans, but how they feel about themselves after the test is completely different.
So, people who received 25 would feel entitled to post such breakdown posts out of pride.
People who received 20 is still proud that they've achieved such respectable scores, but they just don't feel as proud as people who received 25.

I think the bell curve distribution is still being maintained, but maybe with excellent prep materials out there, it might have shifts to the right a little recently.
But don't you worry, scores like AA24~28 are probably 0.1% of the total test taking population.

Reactions: 1 user
There is a reason that a 23 is ~90th percentile in some sections, because more people do worse. I BOMBED my first DAT so bad, that I didn't even post a breakdown. I am sure that is how it goes for some people that use this site. I am retaking in the middle of October, so hopefully I will finally be able to post my breakdown then

yeah, if you did horribly on the test, why in the hell would you want to share with everyone how you failed miserably on one of the most important test of your life?

I see it this way.
Most everyone who wants to go to dental school takes DAT pretty seriously and they study hard. They all do.
But getting a 20 vs 25 is probably only a couple of problems apart(maybe a little more), so if certain problems play out to your strength, you can call it your luckiest day of your life.
People who got 4~5 questions that they have no clue or have forgotten, it's their unlucky day.

People who received stellar scores vs who received mediocre scores might have had similar or identical study plans, but how they feel about themselves after the test is completely different.
So, people who received 25 would feel entitled to post such breakdown posts out of pride.
People who received 20 is still proud that they've achieved such respectable scores, but they just don't feel as proud as people who received 25.

I think the bell curve distribution is still being maintained, but maybe with excellent prep materials out there, it might have shifts to the right a little recently.
But don't you worry, scores like AA24~28 are probably 0.1% of the total test taking population.
I don't think it's a sense of entitlement or pride. Rather, it's a sense of giving back to the community. Reading breakdowns on SDN was extremely beneficial to my studies and I'm sure it was to many other people as well.

Also, a difference between a 20AA and a 25AA is not just a couple of questions and luck won't take you from a 20 to 25. Keep in mind, this sheet is from 2009.
WoPmFAr.jpg

Reactions: 1 users