Are there any Chaldean Pre-Meds On SDN?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

akademiks1989

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I couldn't let all the other ethnic and racial groups get threads for themselves, so I started my own!

Chaldeans (or Assyrians), LET ME HEAR YOU!!!

BTW, Chaldeans are of Iraqi descent and most of us are of Catholic religion. We are closely related to the Assyrians as well (my mom is Assyrian, my dad is Chaldean)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaldean

If you are Chaldean, post here. If you love Chaldeans, then go ahead. If you want to bitch me out because there are too many threads like this or your race is too broad, then take it to PM or start your own thread! GOOOOOO CHALDEANS!

Members don't see this ad.

There is the arab and persian thread, maybe some are hiding in there:)

FYI: Most Chaldeans do not consider themselves Arab, since Chaldeans in Iraq do not have a good relationship with Muslims in general. To be called Arab would classify Chaldeans with Muslims, and my nana would have a problem with that. I know Arabic and Chaldean language, and some people frown on my parents for teaching me the Muslim language a.k.a. Arabic, even though they taught me Jesus's language...Gotta love national hatred in foreign countries...LMAO

Knowing Arabic is probably one of the best things I've inherited from my parents that I use on a daily basis.

For those who did not know that, consider yourself one tidbit smarter...

Members don't see this ad :)
I thought Jesus' language was Arameic

DrZaius said:
I thought Jesus' language was Arameic

Chaldean is also known as Syriac and is also known as Chaldean Neo-Aramaic. I can also speak the Assyrian variety. They vary from the actual ancient Aramaic Jesus spoke, but it is the closest spoken and modern language today that is very similar to Aramaic. Syriac is just a branch of Aramaic, kind of like the similarities between Italian and Spanish. When I was watching The Passion of the Christ, I understood a pretty good chunk of it.

Nevermind, I read the wikipedia article

phospho said:
hmm, i was born and raised in jerusalem, palestine...not only am I arab, but arabic is my first language, and I am catholic...since when is arabic the language of the muslims? did you forget that christianity itself was born in the arab world?

Plus, many muslims are not Arabs. Iranis, for example, are Persian. And most Turks, Pakistanis, Malaysians etc are also Muslim, while they have less than a speck of Arab blood in them...

hahahaha all this talk of chaleans and neo aramic blah blah blah led me to be reminded of a passage I read in one of the verbal tests. I think from Ek 101.

inverse_scatter said:
Plus, many muslims are not Arabs. Iranis, for example, are Persian. And most Turks, Pakistanis, Malaysians etc are also Muslim, while they have less than a speck of Arab blood in them...

he was refering to the origins of Islam and the Koran being rooted in Arabic.

Ironhead2000 said:

I know what he was referring to. :rolleyes:
My comment was in the interest of pointing out that, contrary to the beliefs the of the history-challenged (a.k.a. us Americans) the equation Muslims = Arabs, just doesn't hold -- in either direction...

(And many people don't think the distinction is simply a matter of semantics. Too many wars have proved the opposite -- the latest being the Sunni-Shia strife in Iraq. To blur the distinction between Arabs and Muslims would be to ignore a very complex history -- not to mention to insult a great deal of people and their heritage/national pride...)

But I do concede that I was somewhat off topic :oops:

Ironhead2000 said:

Yes, I was. And let me elaborate. Hopefully, someone will be much more knowledgable on the subject after reading this.

Arabic is essentially the language of the Muslims, no matter where Christianity was born. Do you want to know why many Middle Eastern Catholics, especially the neo-Aramaic Catholics (Assyrians or Chaldeans), beleive this?

Modern Standard Arabic, the formal written form of communication in the Middle East with regards to the Arabic language, has changed very little from the Qu'ran's Classical Arabic (most change of verb/subject/pronoun order and invention of new words, such as telephone, computer, radio, etc...).

How come, you might ask? Because Muslims do not want the meaning of their Holy Book to be altered or misinterpreted within translation. This is a good desire, in my opinion, that a language can withstand so many generations, but it also, in a Catholic Middle Easterner's view and even some non-practicing Muslims, highlights a Muslim's stubborness and inability to modernize to an era that has evolved so much. Also, you see many Indian, Pakistani, and Indonesian Muslims who are able to read Arabic, but cannot comprehend or speak it with literacy. Some can, but overall many can't and I find this highly idiotic and a waste of time unless they plan on learning it later. Those who do not know Arabic and are Muslim merely learn Arabic to be able to recite the Qu'ran.

Specifically with Chaldeans, my mother the other night told me that they were restricted from speaking Chaldean in school, but had to speak Arabic or English in their English class. Seemed very discriminatory. They couldn't even speak the broken Iraqi "street" Arabic that many Catholics spoke.

This all seems very odd and ridiculous, but if you do not understand what I mean, you need to live as a Catholic suppressed under Muslim rule in the Middle East or at least have that feeling. I am not racist or anything by any means, but many Catholics have a specific resentment to Muslims, and vice versa, that is unexplainable without raising confusion.

That is why Arabic language is associated with Islam. I hope that helps.

inverse_scatter said:
contrary to the beliefs the of the history-challenged (a.k.a. us americans) the equation Muslims = Arabs, just doesn't hold -- in either direction...

Actually, many Middle Eastern Catholics do not like to be referred to as Arab simply because of it's association to Arabic (which is very associated with Islam). But I agree with what you are saying, but sometimes us challenged Americans are right, if you see where I am coming from

I prefer to refer to myself as Catholic Chaldean Arab (not Muslim in my case) Iraqi American...lol

One thing I'd like to point out to the person who mentioned many Indo, paki, bengali, etc. not being arabic. Well yes they aren't arabic, however keep in mind it was middle eastern invasions that led to the spreading of muslim into the subcontinent and hence, there probably is a chance that there is some degree of arabic ancestry among muslims from the subcontinent. Additionally of the 2 lines of people in Ancient India, one of them was the Arayans which were ancient Iranians.

So technically speaking much of India was based on ancestry that originated in the middle east.

Members don't see this ad :)
akademiks1989 said:
Actually, many Middle Eastern Catholics do not like to be referred to as Arab simply because of it's association to Arabic (which is very associated with Islam). But I agree with what you are saying, but sometimes us challenged Americans are right, if you see where I am coming from

I prefer to refer to myself as Catholic Chaldean Arab (not Muslim in my case) Iraqi American...lol

Also I was at a UN Tampabay chapter meeting on the conflict in Sudan some time back and the speakers were saying that the whole idea of being an Arab is a mind set with its own cultural contexts, just as any other minority group is.

It is not necessarily true that Arab and Islam are one in the same but that the idea of being Arab is a sort of cultural mind set based on set ways of life and beliefs that cannot be used as a synonym for muslim even if it originated in muslim extremist views.

akademiks1989 said:

eh, though really interesting, in the end ethnic and religious distinctions are just conventions. We're all human (and as docotrs we'll have to care for them all!)

Personally I'll have to agree with Weinberg on this one:
"With or without religion, good people can behave well and bad people can do evil; but for good people to do evil -- that takes religion."

akademiks1989 said:
I couldn't let all the other ethnic and racial groups get threads for themselves, so I started my own!

Chaldeans (or Assyrians), LET ME HEAR YOU!!!

BTW, Chaldeans are of Iraqi descent and most of us are of Catholic religion. We are closely related to the Assyrians as well (my mom is Assyrian, my dad is Chaldean)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaldean

If you are Chaldean, post here. If you love Chaldeans, then go ahead. If you want to bitch me out because there are too many threads like this or your race is too broad, then take it to PM or start your own thread! GOOOOOO CHALDEANS!

Our enemies want us to be divided so for the sake of our small nation, yes I am Chaldo-Assyrian.

gujuDoc said:
One thing I'd like to point out to the person who mentioned many Indo, paki, bengali, etc. not being arabic. Well yes they aren't arabic, however keep in mind it was middle eastern invasions that led to the spreading of muslim into the subcontinent and hence, there probably is a chance that there is some degree of arabic ancestry among muslims from the subcontinent. Additionally of the 2 lines of people in Ancient India, one of them was the Arayans which were ancient Iranians.

So technically speaking much of India was based on ancestry that originated in the middle east.

I agree -- no pure race exists! There's been a lot of intermixing everywhere. But if I follow your definition and go back enough, the majority of americans (who tend to be, for the time being, of european decent) can also be said to be "ancient Iranians," since Indoeuropean tribes originated from what is now Eastern Turkey (and once Persia).
(But since Indoeuropean tribes were not Arab, you cannot say that most Americans are Arabs...)

akademiks1989 said:
How come, you might ask? Because Muslims do not want the meaning of their Holy Book to be altered or misinterpreted within translation. This is a good desire, in my opinion, that a language can withstand so many generations, but it also, in a Catholic Middle Easterner's view and even some non-practicing Muslims, highlights a Muslim's stubborness and inability to modernize to an era that has evolved so much. Also, you see many Indian, Pakistani, and Indonesian Muslims who are able to read Arabic, but cannot comprehend or speak it with literacy. Some can, but overall many can't and I find this highly idiotic and a waste of time unless they plan on learning it later. Those who do not know Arabic and are Muslim merely learn Arabic to be able to recite the Qu'ran.
QUOTE]

You are an idiot. Stop posting. I'm glad that you can categorize Muslim's stubborn and unable to modernize, while all Christians, Jews, Hindus, Buddists, etc. are modern, and easy-going. It's a fact.

I'm not insulting Muslims, I am telling it how it is in the Middle East, and here is Southeastern Michigan. It's the truth.

akademiks1989 said:
I'm not insulting Muslims, I am telling it how it is in the Middle East, and here is Southeastern Michigan. It's the truth.

It's not "the truth" I live in Southeast MI and I'm from the middle east. You're a 17 year old kid and your sweeping, insulting generalizations are not appreciated in a pre-med forum. Grow up.

you guys are highjacking this thread! Please do not post if your are not chaldo-assyrian!

sekem said:
you guys are highjacking this thread! Please do not post if your are not chaldo-assyrian!

I was enjoying learning something on this thread--but it seems to have gone astray. Glad to see we are all sharing toys and playing well with others. :eek:

Ironhead2000 said:
It's not "the truth" I live in Southeast MI and I'm from the middle east. You're a 17 year old kid and your sweeping, insulting generalizations are not appreciated in a pre-med forum. Grow up.

Grow up? lol...you must be blind to think that practicing Arab Muslims are okay with Chaldeans...hahahahahahaha

Sekem, which village are your parents from? PM me if you want

Wow, I thought I was the only Chaldean on this board. Nice to meet a fellow chaldo akademiks1989. What village are your parents from? Mine are from Telkeppe. Not surprised you live in Michigan, every chaldean and their mom lives there! I'm actually one of the few that lives in California. PM me later.

akademiks1989 said:
Grow up? lol...you must be blind to think that practicing Arab Muslims are okay with Chaldeans...hahahahahahaha

Sekem, which village are your parents from? PM me if you want

First of all I was talking about your quote which says that muslims are stubborn and don't modernize. You oviously generized over a billion people with a stupid comment. Then I thought of a punk kid sitting in his room dreaming of trashy UM-Dearborn, and I realized it would do no good to even try to rationalize with you.

One more thing....Of course there are Arab Muslims have a problem with Chaldeans, and there are Chaldeans that have a problem with Arab Muslims, and other Chaldeans. And there are Arab Jews that have a problem with Arab Catholics. And European Christians that have a problem with Southasian Muslims. The list goes on, you can find an example of every combo, so what's the point of making a generalization, you would just come up with a conclusion that everyone hates everyone.

And "practicing" a religion does not make a person have a problem with someone else. No religion inherently advocates violence and oppression it is the followers that make it so.

chaldobruin said:
Wow, I thought I was the only Chaldean on this board. Nice to meet a fellow chaldo akademiks1989. What village are your parents from? Mine are from Telkeppe. Not surprised you live in Michigan, every chaldean and their mom lives there! I'm actually one of the few that lives in California. PM me later.

Sweeeet, my dad is Telkepnaya, and that is what I associate with.

Anyways, join my Chaldean M.D. group on Facebook. I only have Michigan students (my network) and my cousin from MSU who I know is premed...other than that I need more:

http://hs.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2204932421

Ironhead2000 said:
First of all I was talking about your quote which says that muslims are stubborn and don't modernize. You oviously generized over a billion people with a stupid comment.

I did not generalize anyone. This is the Middle Eastern non-Muslim consensus. I have no problems with Muslims, so please, get over yourself, and quit insulting me. I have done or said nothing remotely insulting to you personally for you to be insulting me the way you have.

Pi' Illukh

chaldobruin said:

Don't tell me that you are/were studying in UCLA!!! Is that true? I mean based on your name!

akademiks1989 said:
I did not generalize anyone. This is the Middle Eastern non-Muslim consensus. I have no problems with Muslims, so please, get over yourself, and quit insulting me. I have done or said nothing remotely insulting to you personally for you to be insulting me the way you have.

Pi' Illukh

you wrote this: ...highlights a Muslim's stubborness and inability to modernize to an era that has evolved so much

how in the world is that not a generalization? Why would you deny something you did on a thread, where everything is recorded? That doesn't make sense. :confused:
By the way I know dozens, maybe hundreds of Middle Eastern non-Muslims personally and they are absolutely no way in consensus with you. So how about you get some life experience before you act like a sociology expert.

Ironhead2000 said:
you wrote this: ...highlights a Muslim's stubborness and inability to modernize to an era that has evolved so much

how in the world is that not a generalization? Why would you deny something you did on a thread, where everything is recorded? That doesn't make sense. :confused:
By the way I know dozens, maybe hundreds of Middle Eastern non-Muslims personally and they are absolutely no way in consensus with you. So how about you get some life experience before you act like a sociology expert.

You do not understand the Chaldean oppression under Muslim rule. Obviously, a Muslim will not refer to themselves as stubborn, but why not tell me how strict they've been to preserve their Holy Book? My father was kicked out of an aviation program at the University of Baghdad because the Muslim government did not want a Catholic flying their planes. Or how about my mother being disciplined with her reputation ruined when she responded to an insult about Chaldeans to a Muslim woman who said "Chaldean's are dirty" in her precious Arabic tongue? And these were not isolated incidents. This happened everyday and still continues to happen, with Chaldeans virtually being driven out of Iraq and into Syria and other countries due to Muslim oppression, especially during this war. The oppression is definitely there, and it only needs to take once for an Arab to hate another fellow Arab group. Don't try to be so idealistic. This is the truth.

Ironhead2000 said:

Ironhead, we don't care, stop you BS posts in this thread!

Ironhead2000 said:
No religion inherently advocates violence and oppression it is the followers that make it so.

Islam does very clearly in Quran! go read it, I did!

akademiks1989 said:
You do not understand the Chaldean oppression under Muslim rule. Obviously, a Muslim will not refer to themselves as stubborn, but why not tell me how strict they've been to preserve their Holy Book? My father was kicked out of an aviation program at the University of Baghdad because the Muslim government did not want a Catholic flying their planes. Or how about my mother being disciplined with her reputation ruined when she responded to an insult about Chaldeans to a Muslim woman who said "Chaldean's are dirty" in her precious Arabic tongue? And these were not isolated incidents. This happened everyday and still continues to happen, with Chaldeans virtually being driven out of Iraq and into Syria and other countries due to Muslim oppression, especially during this war. The oppression is definitely there, and it only needs to take once for an Arab to hate another fellow Arab group. Don't try to be so idealistic. This is the truth.

When you grow up you will realize that these are isolated inncidents and should be representative of the entire faith. While I was walking on the UM Diag (a pretty liberal school) a Christian holding up a sign came up to me and asked if I know about Jesus. I told him I did ( I went to Catholic school growing up) He asked what religion I am and I said Muslim. With disgusted grimace he screamed "You're going to burn in hell, Allah can't save you now! Fock Him, Find Jesus" (Now, nevermind that Allah and God are one in the same.) This happens all the time. Did I say "Christians are opressive, self righteous. They haven't changed since the Dark ages." No. I said that guy is a POS.

So how in the world can you take an entire 1 billion people over a few countries (run by humans mind you) Christian empires weren't racist??? take a history lesson.
And what's wrong with having the same text for the Koran? How the hell is that a bad thing? Why would you change the words of God? We don't change the wording of the Constitution and those were just old fat white guys with wigs. Id rather have that that over a hundred different versions of the Bible going around at one time like they had.

To my fellow Chaldeans, what is your favorite Chaldean food?

I love pacha, rizza ou maraka, gur-gur, and kouzi

sekem said:
Islam does very clearly in Quran! go read it, I did!

not true and stop being a jackass

akademiks1989 said:
To my fellow Chaldeans, what is your favorite Chaldean food?

I love pacha, rizza ou maraka, gur-gur, and kouzi

And how can I forget the Tarpa mastery of DOLMA!!!

kililililililililililili!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ironhead2000 said:
When you grow up you will realize that these are isolated inncidents and should be representative of the entire faith. While I was walking on the UM Diag (a pretty liberal school) a Christian holding up a sign came up to me and asked if I know about Jesus. I told him I did ( I went to Catholic school growing up) He asked what religion I am and I said Muslim. With disgusted grimace he screamed "You're going to burn in hell, Allah can't save you now! Fock Him, Find Jesus" (Now, nevermind that Allah and God are one in the same.) This happens all the time. Did I say "Christians are opressive, self righteous. They haven't changed since the Dark ages." No. I said that guy is a POS.

So how in the world can you take an entire 1 billion people over a few countries (run by humans mind you) Christian empires weren't racist??? take a history lesson.
And what's wrong with having the same text for the Koran? How the hell is that a bad thing? Why would you change the words of God? We don't change the wording of the Constitution and those were just old fat white guys with wigs. Id rather have that that over a hundred different versions of the Bible going around at one time like they had.

You should realize that I was not calling Muslims stubborn, but was just making you aware of what people are saying about Muslims. Nothing more, nothing less.

And about the Allah thing, sure, ideally God is the same as Allah, but looking at how different Islam is from Christianity from Judaism, I still do not understand how God is the same for all religions. I think the same God is present in all three major religions, but all three have manipulated him to their own religion, and Christianity, in my opinion, is the most practical for my purposes.

READ THAT, it is definitely interesting:

Is the Allah of Islam the God of the Bible?
by: Hank Hanegraaff

“No one who denies the Son has the Father; whoever acknowledges the Son has the Father also.” (1 John 2:23 NIV)

Long before Muhammad was born, Arabic Christians were already referring to God as Allah — and millions continue to do so today. The Allah of Islam, however, is definitely not the God of the Bible; for while Muslims passionately defend the unity of God, they patently deny His triunity. They recoil at the notion of God as Father, reject the unique deity of Jesus Christ the Son, and renounce the divine identity of the Holy Spirit.

First, while Jesus taught His disciples to pray “Our Father in heaven,” devotees of Muhammad find the very notion offensive. To their way of thinking, calling God “Father” and Jesus Christ “Son” suggests sexual procreation. According to the Qur’an, “It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son” (Sura 19:35); and Allah “begetteth not, nor is he begotten” (Sura 112:3). The Bible, however, does not use the term “begotten” with respect to the Father and the Son in the sense of sexual reproduction but rather in the sense of special relationship; thus, when the apostle John speaks of Jesus as “the only begotten of the Father” (John 1:14 KJV, emphasis added), he is underscoring the unique deity of Christ. John goes on to state, “No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known” (John 1:18 NIV). When the apostle Paul likewise refers to Jesus as “the firstborn over all creation” (Colossians 1:15 NIV, emphasis added), he is emphasizing Christ’s preeminence or prime position as the Creator of all things (cf. vv. 16–19). Christians are sons of God through adoption; Jesus is God the Son from all eternity.

Muslims, furthermore, dogmatically denounce the Christian declaration of Christ’s unique deity as the unforgivable sin of shirk. As the Qur’an puts it, “Allah forgiveth not (the sin of) joining other gods with Him; but He forgiveth whom He pleaseth other sins than this” (Sura 4:116). Muslims readily affirm the sinlessness of Christ, however, they adamantly deny His sacrifice upon the cross and subsequent resurrection. In doing so, they deny the singular historical fact that demonstrates that Jesus does not stand in a long line of peers from Abraham to Muhammad, but is God in human flesh. The Qur’anic phrase, “Allah raised him up” (Sura 4:158) is taken to mean that Jesus was supernaturally raptured rather than resurrected from the dead. In Islamic lore, God made someone look like Jesus, and this look-alike was crucified in His place. In recent years, the myth that Judas was crucified in place of Jesus has been popularized in Muslim circles due to the propagation of a late-medieval work titled The Gospel of Barnabas. Against the weight of historical evidence, the Qur’an exclaims, “they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them” (Sura 4:157).

Finally, in addition to rejecting the divinity of Jesus, Islam also renounces the divine identity of the Holy Spirit. Far from being the third person of the triune God who inspired the text of the Bible, Islam teaches that the Holy Spirit is the archangel Gabriel who dictated the Qur’an to Muhammad over a period of 23 years. This is ironic considering that Islam also identifies the Holy Spirit promised by Jesus in John 14 as Muhammad. The Bible, however, roundly rejects such corruptions and misrepresentations. The Holy Spirit is neither an angel nor a mere mortal; rather, He is the very God Who redeems us from our sins and will one day resurrect us to life eternal (e.g., Acts 5:3–4; Rom. 8:11).

P.S. I hate it when people say God is different from Allah. As the article stated, us Arabic Speaking Catholics refer to God as Allah, especially in church and daily life.

akademiks1989 said:
highlights a Muslim's stubborness and inability to modernize to an era that has evolved so much. Also, you see many Indian, Pakistani, and Indonesian Muslims who are able to read Arabic, but cannot comprehend or speak it with literacy.
More power to you on the Chaldean pride thing. But it is extremely ironic to speak as a Catholic and point out other faiths that have not modernized to an era. The Catholic church is a prime example of this problem as well. I am a Catholic, by the way.

akademiks1989 said:
I am not racist or anything by any means, but many Catholics have a specific resentment to Muslims, and vice versa, that is unexplainable without raising confusion.
You can identify yourself as in that group, but please don't paint with such broad strokes as to imply that there is some special hate-bond between Catholics and Muslims.

If you want to say that many Chaldean Catholics resent Muslims (which I think is your point), go ahead and I won't object. But please don't broaden it to many Catholics as a generality. This is offensive to Catholicism.

notdeadyet said:
More power to you on the Chaldean pride thing. But it is extremely ironic to speak as a Catholic and point out other faiths that have not modernized to an era. The Catholic church is a prime example of this problem as well. I am a Catholic, by the way.

Thank you ndy, I didn't want to be the one to say it ;) ... I went to catholic school btw.

And the three religions thing real quick. Islam is closest to Judaism in that both believe in only the divinity of God and that all the prophets like abraham, moses, jesus etc. were cool extraordinary dudes that could perform miracles but weren't divine. Christianity branches off through the "son of God" belief. That's basic, not too confusing.

sekem said:
Don't tell me that you are/were studying in UCLA!!! Is that true? I mean based on your name!

Yes I just graduated from UCLA in fact. What about you?

My sister's friend's Assyrian heritage traces back from Lebanon I think. Are there Assyrians in Lebanon? They mentioned something about a civil war...

phospho said:
listen, i know you think americans are *******es and that they'll believe anything...but stop bull****ting people...im arab, and i AM in palestine RIGHT now and im calling your bull****...

THANK YOU! this kid needs to grow up before he speaks for people.

phospho said:
are you ****ting me? im middle eastern catholic, and im goddam proud of who i am!

So am I, proudly Arab when people tell me not to call myself that. But not that many Catholic Chaldeans believe the same thing. And since you are in the Middle East, be safe bro. My dad is working in Iraq right now.

walidek minen fi 3raq akademiks?

farikanok said:
walidek minen fi 3raq akademiks?

Na'am. Walidi min fi 3raq, bes ani Amreeki. Enta Libnani, ta-mam?

Hey Akademiks:

I am wondering, is there a difference between Assyrians and Chaldeans. In ancient history, they were distinct peoples. Assyria was centered on Ninevah. Chaldea on Babylon. Is there still a difference, or have they converged to one Aramaic speaking ethnicity?

Also, do you think the majority of Christian Arabs are non-Arabic (i.e. Chaldean, Assyrian, Coptic, etc.) who have become culturally Arabic, or that they are the descendants of Arabs who came from Arabia?

Are there Chaldean and Assyrian Orthodox or Protestant churches? Armenians and Copts are Oriental Orthodox.

Finally, where is the historic Chaldean-Assyrian diaspora located? Do any live in Egypt, Syria? What about Greece, Armenia, or Georgia?

akademiks1989 said:
Na'am. Walidi min fi 3raq, bes ani Amreeki. Enta Libnani, ta-mam?

la ya akhi, mu lubnani :) bas 3ndi asdiqa min lubnan. walidek min ay mantiqa min 3raq?

mercaptovizadeh said:
Hey Akademiks:

I am wondering, is there a difference between Assyrians and Chaldeans. In ancient history, they were distinct peoples. Assyria was centered on Ninevah. Chaldea on Babylon. Is there still a difference, or have they converged to one Aramaic speaking ethnicity?

Is there a difference between a Californian and a Texan? Well, yes and no. They are both American but if you ask them, they will say that they are have different accents and may have different views toward life!

Ancient Mesopotamia (Assyria) had different states, like Assyria, Babylon, Chaldea ... but they had the same nationality. Ignorance and lack of knowledge after the fall of Assyria in the world and even between this nation itself has created different names such as Chaldean, Assyrian, Chaldo-Assyrian, Nastorian, Syrian, Aramaic, Suryoyo, ... But they all talk the same language, share same churches, are from the same root and basically because of lack of a country are called different names ...

mercaptovizadeh said:
Also, do you think the majority of Christian Arabs are non-Arabic (i.e. Chaldean, Assyrian, Coptic, etc.) who have become culturally Arabic, or that they are the descendants of Arabs who came from Arabia??

My friend, Chaldo-Assyrians are NOT Arabs! They never became culturly Arabic, what are you talking about? Havn't you heard of Mesopotamia? It was located in Iraq not Arabia!!! Arabs, most of them are muslims. Chaldo-Assyrians are all 100% Christians!

mercaptovizadeh said:
Are there Chaldean and Assyrian Orthodox or Protestant churches? Armenians and Copts are Oriental Orthodox

Finally, where is the historic Chaldean-Assyrian diaspora located? Do any live in Egypt, Syria? What about Greece, Armenia, or Georgia?.?

Yes there are chaldo-Assyrians who are orthodic, protestant and whatever else. As I said in anciet Mesopotamia which was in Iraq

I hope this helps!

Hey mercaptovizadeh

Many Chaldeans and Assyrians want to converge, but many also remain too stubborn to do so. I am Chaldo-Assyrian, so it doesn't matter to me. IMO, Chaldeans and Assyrians are too different to converge. Also, it is really not a big deal..

As sekem said, Chaldeans will never be referred or refer to themselves as Arabs. This is a personal choice, but also has historical merit. I refer to myself as Arab (as well as Chaldean, Catholic, and American), and that is my prerogative.

Yes, there are Protestant Chaldeans (my dad's brother's wife), but I don't think Protestant Chaldean churches exist. Instead, the only type of Chaldean church I have come across is the Chaldean Catholic Church. We're pretty hardcore Catholics. :thumbup:

Chaldeans have major diasporas in Southeastern Detroit (especially Sterling Heights [this is seriously the most Chaldean city I've been to] and West Bloomfield...it began in 7 Mile Detroit when Chaldeans frist began immigrating). Also, in San Diego, CA and Arizona.

Many Assyrians also share the same diasporas, but also add Chicago as their own diaspora distribution. Not too many Chaldeans live there. Afterall, my mom is Assyrian and lived in Detroit when she met and married my Chaldean father.

Thanks to Sekem for the rest of the clarification...

Can whoever posted please note themselves as either chaldean or not?