Are there any tips/tricks to improve my verbal score in the next few days?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LuluLovesMe

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've got the December 6th MCAT coming up in a few days. So far my verbal range is 10-13 with an average of just under 11. My verbal is the weakest part of my MCAT by far and I feel like there's no way for me to raise it.

Any tips for getting it to 13 consistently?

Members don't see this ad.

I almost always get an 11. I get 90% correct. So on my last practice, I answered 36/40 correctly.

If I could just not miss those few questions, it would be the most worthwhile bump to my score given that the test is in two days. Working to see what types of questions I always miss, and if there is a pattern.

If I can figure out this pattern, I want to apply my understanding of it to AAMC 11 tomorrow and see if it helps me get those last few questions right.

So I don't know if it works yet, but I'd go back and see what types of questions you are missing and if they are always the same type.

You two and you nth amount of threads :D I can't keep up!

Lulu - any thoughts on what I posted in the Dec 6th thread?

You two and you nth amount of threads :D I can't keep up!

Lulu - any thoughts on what I posted in the Dec 6th thread?

I was going to give you a detailed reply, but my brain is fried from studying and I'm planning on reviewing the verbal section of my test tomorrow.

I really think you should buy AAMC #9. The verbal is hardest out of all the tests imo. Which ones have you done and what were your scores?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I went through all my practice tests and noticed the only verbal questions I ever missed were "social science questions". I was hoping the style of question would reveal something but they all seem different.

All I found out was social science passages are my weakness. Not sure what I can do with that.

At that level, it's extremely challenging to improve, especially in the verbal section in my opinion because you have to maintain such a high level of critical judgement the whole time due to the inherent unfamiliarity of the passages and questions. As @cryhavoc alluded to, one question can translate into one point at the highest level so it's easy to describe a one point slip as a careless mistake, which are overall extremely tough, and maybe impossible, to rid over a 5 hour, 144 question test.
I don't think there's much "magic dust" out there to obtain in 2 days when your scores are already pretty high. My best advice is to go over your successes to gain or maintain confidence and rest. Good luck!