Are there Mcat tutors that has this policy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaxEarplugsFTW

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if any MCAT tutors that have the policy to get paid only if their students get their agreed score or higher? That policy seems to limit company profits which is ultimately against their greedy goal (C'mon Kaplan, 1000 dollars for a course that people describe as useless and reading from the book). In my view it seems to defeat the whole purpose of a getting a private tutor if they fail and still run off with your money. I think if a tutor has such a policy, then their incentive and intension would be truely aligned with a student's success and not simply leech them for dough.
That seems a bit BS when it comes to being a med student, especially if they do some run of the mill systemized program which they basically just read through the book which I assure you, having read all the books and done a lot of problems, ISN'T my issue here.

I've been studying for a relatively long time maybe a year and a half or more now and not making much progress.
I've noticed that I've been getting better at reading since getting my postbac at NIH where I have to read a lot of complicated science articles and people are always there helped me make sense of all the nonsense.

My exam is on June 22 which leaves me with little time.
I would like a tutor that can help me get 30+ and not be paid if they fail at their job.

Has anyone heard of such tutors?

Members don't see this ad.

I think that you will have a very difficult time finding a tutor who would ever allow such a policy. Frankly, if you are going to require such a contract with a tutor, I would expect that the tutor would require a contract with you mandating that you are doing the necessary work between tutoring sessions. In addition, I would require proof that you were doing the said work, in the form of online question banks, something that provides tangible evidence of your study time. Therefore, the tutor could state that if you are not doing the work between tutoring sessions, you should be required to pay the tutor for their time and effort. In addition, I would require a refundable deposit so I would have some sort of "in good faith" payment from the student that I would not be stiffed of payment if they didn't perform well on the exam.

Personal anecdote ahead: I privately tutor 30+ students a semester in Biochemistry, Physics, Chemistry, and Biology at a local university. The number of students whom I work with that assume that our sessions replace individual study time is comically amusing. When I have students "complain" about an exam score, I ask them what they did to prepare for the exam. Typically, this ends that portion of the conversation.

i've been mcat studying for a while now too (while working full time). recently i've started looking into quiting work and studying full time. a tutor seems like a good idea, but i'm skeptical. it seems next step is the biggest company and their individual tutoring makes alot of sense. does anyone have any experience with next step tutoring?