Are these appropriate shoes for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dermaway

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming I get some :cryi: Jk i will at least get some prelim interviews lol

http://www.zappos.com/allen-edmonds-strand

The "walnut" color

To be honest, I already bought them and love them because I feel like I could wear them with almost any other outfit. However, I mainly need new interview shoes and would not want to spend that kind of money if I can't wear them for those.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:

The "walnut" color

To be honest, I already bought them and love them because I feel like I could wear them with almost any other outfit. However, I mainly need new interview shoes and would not want to spend that kind of money if I can't wear them for those.

Those will be fine, the key is to be conservatively dressed during interviews

These shoes should fit the bill

Reactions: 1 users
Those will be fine, the key is to be conservatively dressed during interviews

These shoes should fit the bill
Ok thanks. I was worried the walnut color would be too light and not conservative enough.

Members don't see this ad :)

The "walnut" color

I would say the key is to dress conservatively on the interview, not like this (at least not until after you've matched, but even then probably not, unless you don't want to be taken seriously)
8a8b7f2a61a3b0acc2f4c152bc47b804.jpg

Edit: LOL, realized you're male. :oops:

I would say the key is to dress conservatively on the interview, not like this (at least not until after you've matched, but even then probably not, unless you don't want to be taken seriously)
8a8b7f2a61a3b0acc2f4c152bc47b804.jpg

Edit: LOL, realized you're male. :oops:
Lol did you make this post without clicking the shoes I posted? haha no big deal, but what are your thoughts on the walnut shoes? Are they too light in color/flashy?

I'm really concerned about this, because they are not the traditional color by any means and making a bad impression and ruining a chance at getting ranked just because of shoes is the last thing i want... but i LOVE those shoes

These are the shoes for anyone too lazy to click the link :p

Attachments

• IMG_1372.png
    IMG_1372.png
    67.9 KB · Views: 67
Lol did you make this post without clicking the shoes I posted? haha no big deal, but what are your thoughts on the walnut shoes? Are they too light in color/flashy?

I'm really concerned about this, because they are not the traditional color by any means and making a bad impression and ruining a chance at getting ranked just because of shoes is the last thing i want... but i LOVE those shoes
Yeah, I thought it it was a poster asking about shoes it had to be a girl, bc guys don't get a variety of shoes (at least to wear for an interview). I think walnut is fine but have to find a pair of pants that are safe with that color. Black shoes are always safe, no matter what.

If you have to ask, it may be a bit risky. I know it sounds vain, but everyone on the interview trail rocks and ppl look for ANYTHING they can use to dock points on someone.

Just be sure they match the rest of what you wear.

Yeah, I thought it it was a poster asking about shoes it had to be a girl, bc guys don't get a variety of shoes (at least to wear for an interview). I think walnut is fine but have to find a pair of pants that are safe with that color. Black shoes are always safe, no matter what.
Yeah I was just going to wear a navy suit. I know black is definitely the safest, but I really don't like black at all. I especially love the versatility that would come with the walnut color, great with business casual obviously but if I can wear it with my interview suit, that would be ideal.

I think the walnut color is a bit risky as well...I don't remember seeing guys wearing that shoe color on my interview trail.

Yeah I was just going to wear a navy suit. I know black is definitely the safest, but I really don't like black at all. I especially love the versatility that would come with the walnut color, great with business casual obviously but if I can wear it with my interview suit, that would be ideal.
Typically cordovan shoes are worn with a navy suit.

I love the AEs shoes you posted but they are a spring/summer color and are by definition, more casual.

IMG_1372.png

IMG_1372.png

How about second from the left? Also really like those and feel they are unique enough.

Members don't see this ad :)
LOL! Great fashion sense.
LOL…I like how everyone in that thread is telling him (just like we are here) that lighter brown shoes are not formal enough and are not to be worn with navy.

View attachment 183633
View attachment 183633

How about second from the left? Also really like those and feel they are unique enough.

This is the shoe you want if you're wearing navy (in the Merlot color): http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6215_1_40000000001_-1_

Reactions: 1 user
the shoes look great. It's all about confidence.

This is the shoe you want if you're wearing navy (in the Merlot color): http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF6215_1_40000000001_-1_

I think I will just go with these... but instead of returning mine I love these walnut strands so much I may just splurge on another pair and get these more conservative shoes

I figure just the fact that it is questionable if appropriate makes me not even want to take the risk of it rubbing off an attending the wrong way

That one is a real good color! I like!
The merlot/cordovan color is the classic choice with navy and I agree this one is nice. It comes in a cap toe as well as the oxford (some people don't like the stitching on oxfords).

I understand the OP's love for the walnut color but with the navy suit it looks too casual and bordering on "hipster" especially if worn with a straight leg/narrower leg trouser.

Frankly, the fact that he is even asking puts him about 100 paces ahead of many other medical students who have been known to show up for interviews in sneakers, white athletic socks, no jacket etc. Some of the attendings aren't much better.

The merlot/cordovan color is the classic choice with navy and I agree this one is nice. It comes in a cap toe as well as the oxford (some people don't like the stitching on oxfords).

I understand the OP's love for the walnut color but with the navy suit it looks too casual and bordering on "hipster" especially if worn with a straight leg/narrower leg trouser.

Frankly, the fact that he is even asking puts him about 100 paces ahead of many other medical students who have been known to show up for interviews in sneakers, white athletic socks, no jacket etc. Some of the attendings aren't much better.
I had to actually look up what cordovan was. lol. Merlot I knew, but only bc there is a wine named after it. Much better than the walnut color which I thought looked way too light, almost faded. Gotta love that he took a photo in the actual shoe store! :p

I had to actually look up what cordovan was. lol. Merlot I knew, but only bc there is a wine named after it. Much better than the walnut color which I thought looked way too light, almost faded. Gotta love that he took a photo in the actual shoe store! :p
Lol yeah i also sent that picture to some other friends. Frankly, they predominately chose the far left/walnut ones. I think they would look great with every day clinic clothes, but my fears of them not being conservative enough for interviews were confirmed with this topic.

Lol yeah i also sent that picture to some other friends. Frankly, they predominately chose the far left/walnut ones. I think they would look great with every day clinic clothes, but my fears of them not being conservative enough for interviews were confirmed with this topic.
Yes, I would say once you're in clinic, it's fine. But on an interview day, when you have no idea how picky an attending can be, it's always a good bet to dress conservatively. You won't get dinged for that. And some of them do notice shoes that don't match the suit. Women tend to have this science much more down. It's why they have a ridiculous number of shoe pairs.

Do you think the merlot color also work well with a charcoal/dark gray toned suit?

I think the merlot Mcallisters are a good mix of still having some character while not being overly flashy and I will go with them for my interview shoes, unless anyone else an opinion that says otherwise!

Do you think the merlot color also work well with a charcoal/dark gray toned suit?

I think the merlot Mcallisters are a good mix of still having some character while not being overly flashy and I will go with them for my interview shoes, unless anyone else an opinion that says otherwise!
Yes. I think they would be lovely; stylish but not too outré.

With grey, you can wear the cordovan, black or even a dark brown (not the brown you linked above). The shoes should be darker than the suit in all cases.

the shoes look great. It's all about confidence.

Exactly

Just like 250 cutoffs are ******ed. If a program does not take your for the color of your shoe, they are ******ed as well (it's not like you are wearing neon or red here). Don't pick a shoe color that totally clashes and you'll be fine for the shoes. The interview is mostly about body language and how your carry your voice and confidence. The color of your shoe will be distant if you are humble yet confident.

Also, please please please, be social with the residents on the interview dinner. You have no idea how many applicants will sink themselves at that dinner and the color of your shoe won't matter anymore.

Exactly

Just like 250 cutoffs are ******ed. If a program does not take your for the color of your shoe, they are ******ed as well (it's not like you are wearing neon or red here). Don't pick a shoe color that totally clashes and you'll be fine for the shoes. The interview is mostly about body language and how your carry your voice and confidence. The color of your shoe will be distant if you are humble yet confident.

Also, please please please, be social with the residents on the interview dinner. You have no idea how many applicants will sink themselves at that dinner and the color of your shoe won't matter anymore.
Yeah I never figured they would be like, he had light brown shoes we don't like that he is out. But more so them seeing my shoes in the beginning would give them a bad initial impression and from then on they would be likely to be more critical of me and my application. Just like wearing a wrinkled shirt, or scuffed up shoes. They give off a bad impression and you are likely to be judged more harshly from then on.

But wow at not being social at the pre-interview dinner.. I just assumed the people who go into dermatology are generally the more outgoing type but I guess I was wrong.

Yeah I never figured they would be like, he had light brown shoes we don't like that he is out. But more so them seeing my shoes in the beginning would give them a bad initial impression and from then on they would be likely to be more critical of me and my application. Just like wearing a wrinkled shirt, or scuffed up shoes. They give off a bad impression and you are likely to be judged more harshly from then on.

If you already feel on the fence about your shoes to this point, I think you have the answer and you don't need any of us to tell you anything more. Sounds like you are not going to feel confident with this pair on.

I have gone through your link and i think that the black shoes are perfect for the interview and you can wear those shoes with any type of outfit and anywhere.
buy shoes online

I'm sure you're a pre-med with this being your very first post.

FWIW, I rotated through three pairs of shoes during my interviews, one of which was the walnut strands. I did darken them a bit with some dark brown polish. The other two pairs I wore were a dark brown Mcallister and black park avenues. The walnut strands are one of AE staples--as are the other two pairs-- and I would highly recommend them.

But wow at not being social at the pre-interview dinner.. I just assumed the people who go into dermatology are generally the more outgoing type but I guess I was wrong.
Or feel that they are better than you, and won't talk to anyone at the table. If you're shy, build a bridge and get over it. Residents want to meet you and find out more about you.

This thread makes me feel like I huffed a gallon of paint. Are you all serious? Don't dress like a homeless person. There. End of thread.

... Wish I could afford a nice pair of $350+ shoes ...

: (

I am going to put those shoes into my memory bank and look for you amongst the interviewees!

^_^

+1 for style props!!

That's a good point. I sometimes wonder if it is a good idea to wear brand name shoes or purses or diamond rings that are more expensive than what the residents and attending are wearing during interviews. I think it shows respect for the occasion but I have heard faculty or residents expressing admiration with a hint of jealousy for those accessories. I guess it's like med student driving a luxury car in front of your attending who drives a Toyota Camry. I think as long as a candidate looks well put together it's all good. But not everyone feels the same way.

That's a good point. I sometimes wonder if it is a good idea to wear brand name shoes or purses or diamond rings that are more expensive than what the residents and attending are wearing during interviews. I think it shows respect for the occasion but I have heard faculty or residents expressing admiration with a hint of jealousy for those accessories. I guess it's like med student driving a luxury car in front of your attending who drives a Toyota Camry. I think as long as a candidate looks well put together it's all good. But not everyone feels the same way.
To anyone taking the above seriously (pretty sure she's joking, but can never be sure sometimes) No, it doesn't show respect for the occasion. The interview is not the time to show off your glam. Dress conservative and faculty won't be caring about the price/name brand of your shoes.

Last edited:
FWIW, I rotated through three pairs of shoes during my interviews, one of which was the walnut strands. I did darken them a bit with some dark brown polish. The other two pairs I wore were a dark brown Mcallister and black park avenues. The walnut strands are one of AE staples--as are the other two pairs-- and I would highly recommend them.

... Wish I could afford a nice pair of $350+ shoes ...

: (

I am going to put those shoes into my memory bank and look for you amongst the interviewees!

^_^

+1 for style props!!

Over $1000 for three pairs of shoes? :eek: The shoes look great, but thats just ridiculous... How do people afford that?