Are these GRE scores good enough?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AQHAVet

University of Tennessee c/o 2020
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I am applying this upcoming application cycle and took my GRE yesterday. A whopping 3 days after finals ended. So, needless to say, I studied, sort of, for about 3 days. Okay probably less. Maybe like 2-5 hours a day for 3 days. I was a little nervous about my preparation especially reading that adequate preparation time is like 3 weeks minimum.

I made a Verbal score of 157 (74th percentile) :(

My quantitative score was 161 (80th percentile)

I haven't yet received my analytical score.

But the verbal and quantitative score together is 318, and the average of the school I am applying to was 313 last cycle.

Do you think these scores would be okay? Or should I consider re-taking it?

Members don't see this ad.

Those are way better than my scores ever were, not sure what you are concerned about. I think my highest score was 154, and I had no problem getting in. I wouldn't retake the GRE.

Reactions: 1 user
So, I am applying this upcoming application cycle and took my GRE yesterday. A whopping 3 days after finals ended. So, needless to say, I studied, sort of, for about 3 days. Okay probably less. Maybe like 2-5 hours a day for 3 days. I was a little nervous about my preparation especially reading that adequate preparation time is like 3 weeks minimum.

But the verbal and quantitative score together is 318, and the average of the school I am applying to was 313 last cycle.

Without knowing your other stats, it's kinda hard to say if this is a "bad score." If you have a really solid application with this GRE, then I would say it's fine, though if you have a very low GPA and are trying to make up for it on the GRE, then maybe retaking it is a good idea. Do you know how much the school you want to go to even weighs it? Some weigh it as little as 4%... while I've heard others can put huge weight on it, so that should be considered as well.

I personally think that your score is a really solid score, and I would lean on not retaking it, but I also don't know your personal situation or what school you are thinking about applying to. :shrug:

Members don't see this ad :)
@Ashgirl puts together a much better response than I do at 10am on a Saturday morning (still in bed lol)

That's a very hard question to answer. It depends on the rest of your application (are your cGPA, sGPA, and rGPA competitive?), the school you're trying to get into (those are mediocre for UF, for example, but good for other schools), how much weight the school puts on GRE, and the average for the pool of applicants for your cycle.

Edit: Damn you guys are fast typers. :p

I think those scores are great! I hope to get GRE scores like that when I retake the GRE in 2 months. If you study for a few months and retake it, you may be able to raise them a few points and stand out more during the application cycle.

I think usually anything above 70th percentile is competitive (as in they won't hurt you).

If you have other things to improve on your app, I'd spend more time doing that.

There are some schools that for some reason are very obsessive about gpa/GRE scores, who might tell you they wish you had something a little higher, but general rule of thumb is that these scores likely won't hurt you. If you wanted to know for sure, I'd call up the schools you're interested in and ask.

You need to find out how much weight the individual schools you're applying to put in the GRE. UTK basically treats the GRE as bonus points, so even a bad score doesn't really hurt anybody. On the other hand, I think Cornell takes the GRE really seriously (God knows why, IMHO).

Everything is relative. I made it in with 152 Q, 159 V, and a lousy 3.5 W( the very first of the test and a prompt that pis... aggravated me to no end and didn't even finish in the end plagued me to have an overall horrid experience) still led to an acceptance thanks to a pretty good GPA and LOR's plus experience. Your scores seem fine to me, but everything depends on how you present yourself overall. Life counts and your people writing letters hold sway. Calibrate your scores based off your whole.

Wow this thread makes me super insecure... I'm here wondering if my 157V/159Q are good enough. :(

For OP, based on what I've read, that's definitely not going to to be a deterrent to any school, but it won't help you if you're lacking anywhere else. And also depends on the school... Average for some, above average for others... But not at a disadvantage anywhere most likely if the rest of your application is good.

If it makes anybody feel better, while I did do really well in verbal I was only in the 64th percentile for quantitative and the 56th for analytical and I still got accepted.

Last edited:
Wow this thread makes me super insecure... I'm here wondering if my 157V/159Q are good enough. :(

For OP, based on what I've read, that's definitely not going to to be a deterrent to any school, but it won't help you if you're lacking anywhere else. And also depends on the school... Average for some, above average for others... But not at a disadvantage anywhere most likely if the rest of your application is good.
Don't worry your scores are good :) I got the exact scores and was accepted to UF, Tufts, and waitlisted at Auburn and they all told me I had great scores.

Like others have said, your scores are really good! I got in with a 150/152. Granted, my school only counted GRE for 4% of my my application, but still. I actually got quite a few interviews/acceptances with my lousy scores. One of my classmates and good friends scored even lower, got accepted, and is now top 10 in our class grade-wise so it really doesn't mean much in the long run. Schools will generally look at a lot more than just GRE scores so as long as the rest of your app is solid I would not worry at all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't worry your scores are good :) I got the exact scores and was accepted to UF, Tufts, and waitlisted at Auburn and they all told me I had great scores.

Thanks so much, you made me feel a lot better :)

I got in with 153/152/4.5 sooo those scores look great to me! lol! I have a very heavy experience load though... but still even with those scores I got in.

I got in with 153/152/4.5 sooo those scores look great to me! lol! I have a very heavy experience load though... but still even with those scores I got in.
That is great! :) My current GRE scores are about the same. Did you have a really high GPA?

It really is all relative, just as all these insightful posts above me have mentioned. For my case, I had GRE scores all within the 90th percentile for verbal, quantitative and the written/essay score. However, because my cumulative GPA and veterinary experience was severely lacking, I only received a few interview offers and no acceptances my first try at applying. After gaining an insane amount of veterinary experience and selecting the right authors for my LORs, my application grew that much more appealing so I managed to grab a few seat offers my second time applying. It just depends on how your application looks overall.

Just remember to try to keep yourself balanced out and go over any weakpoints you may have in your application. For example, if your GPA is very high, focus on your GRE scores and/or experience. If your experience is sufficient, then figure out ways to improve your GPA (retaking classes, etc.) or GRE. Even getting different kinds of experience (I was priviledged enough to be able to volunteer at a wolf sanctuary that I feel made my application that much more memorable because they're fricking WOLVES!) would help.

If you ever have the free time, go through the forums and read up on the statistics of accepted applicants such as this thread here. It helps to compare and try to mimic their applications, since they themselves managed to succeed. Hope this helps and good luck!

That is great! :) My current GRE scores are about the same. Did you have a really high GPA?
No, about 3.4/3.5 ish... Had 4,000+ hours of paid position at a large animal surgical and emergency hospital though. That helped!

Thank you everybody! I have been busy these past couple of days, so I haven't been able to get back on here.
My overall GPA is a 3.92 as of this spring semester.
I am doing a 3+1 program, so I will only have 3 years of undergrad when I start if I get accepted this year, which means I have only had 2 years to accumulate experience hours when the application is due.

I was just figuring up my experience hours:
Small-1872-most of which came from an emergency/referral clinic where I currently work
Large-234
Research-540 (not really real research, as I was sort of the grunt in a lab, but I did help collect tissues (oocytes from ovaries) in a reproductive physiology lab)

GPA: 3.92 overall
Math and Science- 3.89
Last 45 hours- 3.90

I passed the academic cutoffs for all of the schools I've applied to in the last two cycles with a 158V and 154Q, and then got accepted to two schools this year with those same scores. 161Q sounds pretty good to me.

Your GPA is darn near perfect. Your GRE scores could have been lower and I still wouldn't have worried too much if I were in your shoes. Seems like you have good experience as well. Stop stressing out. Good luck! :)

Like others have said, your scores are really good! I got in with a 150/152. Granted, my school only counted GRE for 4% of my my application, but still. I actually got quite a few interviews/acceptances with my lousy scores. One of my classmates and good friends scored even lower, got accepted, and is now top 10 in our class grade-wise so it really doesn't mean much in the long run. Schools will generally look at a lot more than just GRE scores so as long as the rest of your app is solid I would not worry at all.

Hi there, do you mind telling me what other schools you got interviews and acceptances at? I am worried about my GRE scores being too low.. :(

I don't think that person is around much. What were your scores?

Right at 149 each. I don't have that much time to study and focus on the GRE again since I have so much else going on. If I had the perfect scenario though I would retake it and have more time to study obviously. I am still not ruling out retaking it, but as of now I have sent my scores to the schools I'm applying to so that they have some before the Sept. 15th deadline. With my time frame to take it now there also aren't really any available dates to retake it. I would have to keep looking every day. The rest of my application is really great, so I just hope that I still have chances at every school I am applying to. I really hated taking that test! I am just worried if I focus on studying it (with not many hours per day since I have so much else to do), that my scores would not improve by that much)...

What do you think? Any advice would be great. Thank you!

Right at 149 each. I don't have that much time to study and focus on the GRE again since I have so much else going on. If I had the perfect scenario though I would retake it and have more time to study obviously. I am still not ruling out retaking it, but as of now I have sent my scores to the schools I'm applying to so that they have some before the Sept. 15th deadline. With my time frame to take it now there also aren't really any available dates to retake it. I would have to keep looking every day. The rest of my application is really great, so I just hope that I still have chances at every school I am applying to. I really hated taking that test! I am just worried if I focus on studying it (with not many hours per day since I have so much else to do), that my scores would not improve by that much)...

What do you think? Any advice would be great. Thank you!
Unfortunately, every vet school weighs the GRE differently, so without knowing where you plan to apply, it's a bit difficult to predict whether or not your scores will impact your chances much.

How's your GPAs? If they're on the higher end, then your GRE scores probably won't cause you to be dinged too harshly on the academic side of things except maybe at those schools that have admissions formulae that are big on GRE (Florida is the only one that comes to mind, though I understand that UC Davis currently weighs at least the Quant pretty heavily, too?).

Honestly, though, 149V/149Q is a little low. If you could get into the mid-high 150s that'd be at least around or above the 50th percentile for both sections. Ideally, a retake would obviously be best, but if you won't be able to do that... I'd run with what you've got currently and just see how things play out. In general, if your application is solid in the other areas, one small aspect like below-average GRE shouldn't singlehandedly kill your chances or anything.

ETA: Oh, I didn't notice that you asked for our scores. I was accepted to Iowa State and waitlisted at Midwestern and Glasgow with a 158V/153Q/5.5AWA. I had a below-average cumulative GPA but much higher science GPA with a significant upward trend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a 161V/159Q/5.5W. I had a 3.3 or 3.4 or so for cumulative, but I had a 3.8 last 45 and a decent science. I'd suggest looking in the successful applicants thread for more stats and where the people got in. I was accepted to western, st George, Colorado and Oregon. Waitlisted Cornell and Washington. You'll need to post where you want to apply and your stats. You can list everything in the What are my chances thread and more people can give you feedback. Your low gre will have to be compensated for in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys! I took the GRE last week and got 161 V (87%) and 150 Q (40%). My GPA's are 3.85 for overall, 3.7+ for science and 3.9ish for last 45. I have a little over 1,000 hours of vet experience and around the same for animal experience. Im applying to UF, NC and Mizzou. I honestly don't think I can do much better (since its already a huge jump from my first exam) so Im hesitant to waste the time and money in retaking it. UF is my in state and they said they have an academic round where they weigh the three GPA's and the verbal and quant scores with the GPA's being weighed heavier. Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hey guys! I took the GRE last week and got 161 V (87%) and 150 Q (40%). My GPA's are 3.85 for overall, 3.7+ for science and 3.9ish for last 45. I have a little over 1,000 hours of vet experience and around the same for animal experience. Im applying to UF, NC and Mizzou. I honestly don't think I can do much better (since its already a huge jump from my first exam) so Im hesitant to waste the time and money in retaking it. UF is my in state and they said they have an academic round where they weigh the three GPA's and the verbal and quant scores with the GPA's being weighed heavier. Thoughts?

Your GPA's look awesome. If you think you can do better go for it, but you sound hesitant and there really isn't a lot of time left to retake, so there's not a lot of time to study. I think you look to be in good shape otherwise.

Your GPA's look awesome. If you think you can do better go for it, but you sound hesitant and there really isn't a lot of time left to retake, so there's not a lot of time to study. I think you look to be in good shape otherwise.

Thanks for the feedback coopah, just needed some reassurance. I can't trust myself anymore Ive officially entered crazy mode lol.

Unfortunately, every vet school weighs the GRE differently, so without knowing where you plan to apply, it's a bit difficult to predict whether or not your scores will impact your chances much.

How's your GPAs? If they're on the higher end, then your GRE scores probably won't cause you to be dinged too harshly on the academic side of things except maybe at those schools that have admissions formulae that are big on GRE (Florida is the only one that comes to mind, though I understand that UC Davis currently weighs at least the Quant pretty heavily, too?).

Honestly, though, 149V/149Q is a little low. If you could get into the mid-high 150s that'd be at least around or above the 50th percentile for both sections. Ideally, a retake would obviously be best, but if you won't be able to do that... I'd run with what you've got currently and just see how things play out. In general, if your application is solid in the other areas, one small aspect like below-average GRE shouldn't singlehandedly kill your chances or anything.

ETA: Oh, I didn't notice that you asked for our scores. I was accepted to Iowa State and waitlisted at Midwestern and Glasgow with a 158V/153Q/5.5AWA. I had a below-average cumulative GPA but much higher science GPA with a significant upward trend.

Well, I am being very strategic in the schools I am applying to, so the majority of them I have very good chances at considering they don't focus much on the GRE (except for a select few such as Florida, Cornell), and look at applicants more holistically. My GPA's are good, above average cGPA, and slightly above average science GPA. I feel my application is very strong, and that is why I am not as concerned about the GRE. It is still something I do worry about though. Thank you for telling me your scores and where you got in and were waitlisted! I would love to have high 150s, but I am truly terrible with standardized tests. I always have been. It is very hard having it be so little time on the test for each section, and I always get a lot of anxiety. I think if I retake it I would have to take more planned timed practice tests. What do you think? How can I efficiently study in three weeks before I retake it again (if I do)? Thank you!

I had a 161V/159Q/5.5W. I had a 3.3 or 3.4 or so for cumulative, but I had a 3.8 last 45 and a decent science. I'd suggest looking in the successful applicants thread for more stats and where the people got in. I was accepted to western, st George, Colorado and Oregon. Waitlisted Cornell and Washington. You'll need to post where you want to apply and your stats. You can list everything in the What are my chances thread and more people can give you feedback. Your low gre will have to be compensated for in some way.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Well I did, I looked at the successful app stats but really no one had the scores I do ahaha. I wish I had more time to give towards studying for it...