Are these LORs going to cut it?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Wasted Energy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I don't have any LORs yet and I'll be a senior next semester. I'm applying next cycle, so I have next year to get the letters. The problem is that I'm not a science major, and I of course need the two science letters.

Here's my plan: take two biology electives and get the letters from there.

Is there anything wrong with getting my science letters from what should be essentially layup courses instead of one of the prereqs or an upper-level course? I'm worried it might look lazy, like an afterthought.

Members don't see this ad.

Even if you're not a science major, you have to take plenty of science courses as pre-reqs like everyone else. I'm assuming that's long out of the question though. If you were ever in touch with any of them, reconnecting with them to catch up and ask them for career/post-grad advice could help.

Not every school requires 2 science letters - it's a general rule of thumb since enough of them ask for it though. Either way, it's less important what courses the letter writers wrote compared to what they are able to say about you in the letter that can further convince admissions people to give you an interview.

Members don't see this ad :)

First of all, I've read that post at least twice over the last few months and there is a lot of helpful information in it, so I appreciate you taking the time to write it. That said, I'm worried that if my letters consist of two softball biology classes and a humanities course (all during senior year) that it might be perceived as a weak spot in my application.

Regarding Jenny's post, unfortunately I never spoke to any of my prereq professors. The biology electives that I'm planning on taking will have smaller class sizes (~70) so that should help out a little bit.

unfortunately I never spoke to any of my prereq professors.

Well, there's always Ross.

No but seriously, you'd better make these profs love you. It doesn't matter whether it's from a "cake" class because the adcoms have no idea how hard/easy a random bio elective is at your specific university. They care what the LOR writer says about you.

It doesn't matter whether it's from a "cake" class because the adcoms have no idea how hard/easy a random bio elective is at your specific university. They care what the LOR writer says about you.

Good to know, that's really what I was looking for. I guess it never really crossed my mind to go to a professor's office hours or speak to them after class when I never really had a reason to. I should have put in more effort, it's just that I never figured out how to do those things without it feeling sort of forced you know?