Are these schools within reach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FrenchyM.D/D.O

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys!! So I graduated with a BA from Umass with a 3.38 GPA and a 3.31 sGPA. MCAT: 28
bilingual (French)
URM and a MA resident
English 1: A
English 2: A-
Bio 1/lab : B+/B+
Bio 2/lab: A-/B+
Microbiology: B+
A&P: B+
Chem 1/lab: A/B+
Chem 2/lab: C+/A
Orgo 1/lab: C/B+
Orgo 2/ lab: A-/A-
Physics 1/lab: B+/C-
Physics 2/lab: B-/C
Pre-calc: A
Calc 1: A
Stats: A
Will those C's keep me out of medical school?
I have volunteered at a Nursing home,worked as a surgical tech, and worked other non healthcare related jobs throughout my entire academic carreer.
I have shadowed M.D's and D.O's
My letters of rec are very strong

The schools I am appying to:
Umass med
Really want Drexel. (My wife's family lives there)
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
BU
NYMC
Albany
Loma Linda

Chance me please. Where else should I apply? Please specify if they would be reaches.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. I may not be the best person to answer this question, but since no one else responded I'll give you my opinion based on my successful application cycle.

I am assuming that your are applying next cycle, since it is now very late in the current application cycle.

I think you have a very good chance at DO schools. You have a good MCAT score and your gpas don't seem to be too low for DO schools. As for MD schools, your gpas and MCAT score are on the lower side. But, I would try some more state MD schools. The MD schools you list above also seem like schools that will consider you.

The problem with state MD schools is that they prefer in-state applicants. It would be harder as an out-of-state student to get accepted. But, you're right in applying to UMASS (your state MD school). I would look at other state schools. As an out-of-state applicant, it would be harder to get in but not impossible.

I hope this helps. All the best!

Reactions: 1 user
A red flag for me would be your performance in Physics and Organic and the C- without a retake. You did well in Orgo II but you needed excellence in more coursework. You should be fine in getting into most, if not all of these schools as it stands now.

I have a friend with similar stats that received interviews at Tufts and Hofstra.

Members don't see this ad :)
I truly appreciate your honesty. Money is definitely a concern for me, and the main reason I cannot take more upper level science courses. I will follow your advice and apply to schools that have similar stats.
Thank you!

A red flag for me would be your performance in Physics and Organic and the C- without a retake. You did well in Orgo II but you needed excellence in more coursework. You should be fine in getting into most, if not all of these schools as it stands now.

I have a friend with similar stats that received interviews at Tufts and Hofstra.

Hey soseono25! I thank you for your help!! It definitely helps!!
I will definitely apply to DO schools. Some of them are PCOM, UNECOM, MSUCOM. I will follow your advice and apply to a few more MD state schools as well.
I am applying this summer, so we'll se what happens. I will keep you guys posted.
Thanks again!

Your stats are fine my dude, especially for the schools you have listed... apply AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE! I see some IIs and a couple acceptances in your future :thumbup:;)

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you very much WannabeMD!!
This is very encouraging!!! Please do not hesitate to PM me if you want to share anything else.

Add OUHCOM to your list of DO schools; they're friendly for OOS URMs, and actively looking for black men.

Hey you guys!! Sure, I would love to add OUHCOM to my list. Thank you so much for letting me know. Anastasia, you are absolutely right; At the end of the day, if my wife is not feeling it then it's pretty much a no no. HER OPINION MATTERS!!
If you are reading this and you are married, always remeber that we would not be where we are today if our spouses did not make tons and tons of sacrifices. My wife understands that sometimes I must study non-stop and that I cannot spend time with her but she still loves me. She understands that I probably won't be able to afford anything expensive (house, car, etc…) for the next 8 years of my life, but she still loves me. She also understands that a big chunk of our savings will go towards med school applications but she still loves me… You get the idea.
Whether it's your spouse, your parents , your brother/sister or even your professors, when you do make it to medical school make sure that they know you appreciate what they did for you!! It's so important (IMO)!!! One of my professors told me "Dave, I want you to get in so bad because I feel like if you get in, then I indirectly also get in". That made me want to work even harder. Stay blessed you guys!!!

Hey guys!! So I graduated with a BA from Umass with a 3.38 GPA and a 3.31 sGPA. MCAT: 28
bilingual (French)
URM and a MA resident
English 1: A
English 2: A-
Bio 1/lab : B+/B+
Bio 2/lab: A-/B+
Microbiology: B+
A&P: B+
Chem 1/lab: A/B+
Chem 2/lab: C+/A
Orgo 1/lab: C/B+
Orgo 2/ lab: A-/A-
Physics 1/lab: B+/C-
Physics 2/lab: B-/C
Pre-calc: A
Calc 1: A
Stats: A
Will those C's keep me out of medical school?
I have volunteered at a Nursing home,worked as a surgical tech, and worked other non healthcare related jobs throughout my entire academic carreer.
I have shadowed M.D's and D.O's
My letters of rec are very strong

The schools I am appying to:
Umass med
Really want Drexel. (My wife's family lives there)
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
BU
NYMC
Albany
Loma Linda

Chance me please. Where else should I apply? Please specify if they would be reaches.
Why not Jefferson and Temple? They aren't really much more difficult to get into than Drexel (though I think Temple has some instate preference) and they're in the same city.

Edit: If you get a C- in a course, does that "count" as passing for the purposes of prereqs? I thought you needed a C or better.

Hey Scarletgirl! I thought they were much more selective than Drexel.Thanks for the info. As for the C-, I am not sure. Do you think I should retake it?
God bless.

Hey Scarletgirl! I thought they were much more selective than Drexel.Thanks for the info. As for the C-, I am not sure. Do you think I should retake it?
God bless.
I think it's worth calling these schools and asking. I'm not really sure about the cutoffs.

I think it's always worth it to err on the side of more schools. Spending hundreds of dollars now can save thousands of dollars later in terms of differences in financial aid packages, especially considering some of the places you are applying are not cheap. There are also people who even get into top 20 places with sub-30 MCAT scores so I think it's ok to add places that you're less confident of getting acceptances to. If you have family in Philly, is there a reason there aren't more New York schools on your list?

Stats aren't too far from yours, Monsieur Frenchy.
Interviewed for at least two of the schools you put up as options, accepted and just contemplating between schools now (thankfully).
You'll be fine. Don't retake anything. Get everything prepped to submit within first two weeks or so (I submitted like three weeks in I believe), look at the old prompt sections for the schools you're interested in so you can have some secondaries already completed and 'on hand' to submit like a boss, and then kick back with God and let the interviews roll in.
I would take one of the other advices mentioned and throw some other schools on your list. Honestly I applied to a bit over 20 despite having a strong application, maybe out of fear. But I don't have bills and a wife to take care of, so I understand that. The only thing is that out of the schools I applied to, casting the wide net turned out to allow me to interview/get accepted at a few gems I didn't expect I would love. So maybe sparing a few bucks now can return the favor later by finding those jewels. That'd actually be priceless.

You got any questions hit me up.

Hello Bonedoc82,

I am extremely happy and honored to hear such encouraging words from you. Additionally, after having read your accomplishments, I am not taking your words lightly.
You have been my blessing today ;) and I can only hope that in the near future, I will be able to join you as a doctor in your quest to serving the underserved.

Thanks again and have a blessed week!

I'd add some mid-lower end MD schools that are not state schools (SLU comes to mind) but your stats should be fine. Or if you do add state schools make sure they accept a lot of out of state students.

Good luck.

I'd add some mid-lower end MD schools that are not state schools (SLU comes to mind) but your stats should be fine. Or if you do add state schools make sure they accept a lot of out of state students.

Good luck.

Thank you very much!!! I definitely will follow your advice.