are these stereoisomers of each other

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hypertrophy95

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
16900981336_a24d2bbd7b_b.jpg

I got question 1b marked wrong even though it's correct. I rotated the back carbon of the newman to create a stereosiomer yet she took all points off. In my textbook it clearly says that "If the compounds have the same connectivity of atoms then they are stereosiomers, and if you rotate about a single bond then u make a conformational isomer". Therefore, my compound is a stereoisomer, but more specifically a conformational isomer. Am I wrong? Do I deserve points on that question?

Members don't see this ad.

I am pretty sure this is going to test prep. But isnt a stereoisomer a mirror? I am not sure i see mirroring

Edit: whoops i was thinking of enantiomers.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Just looked it up. If the molecule can be made from rotation around a single bond (such as what you drew), it's a conformational isomer and not a stereoisomer (such as enantiomers and diastereomers).

Source (UCLA pdf download link, had to shorten because my phone is acting up): http://goo.gl/qS8tuI

Edit: I'm dumb.

Last edited:
OP is correct. People, even faculty, always fail to understand the real definition of stereoisomers. (Often they think they're synonymous with enantiomers but there are plenty of other mistakes people make when they misunderstand stereoisomers.) It drives me insane.

You should request points back. @mimelim's chart should explain why you're right.

Reactions: 1 user
@medic86 but....conformational isomers are a type of stereoisomer...
Just looked it up. If the molecule can be made from rotation around a single bond (such as what you drew), it's a conformational isomer and not a stereoisomer (such as enantiomers and diastereomers).

Source (UCLA pdf download link, had to shorten because my phone is acting up): http://goo.gl/qS8tuI

Reactions: 1 users
@medic86 but....conformational isomers are a type of stereoisomer...

Indeed. Look up conformational isomers on Wikipedia---it says right off the bat.

Stereoisomers are just molecules with the same atoms, and same connectivity, but different spatial arrangement. OP, get those 4 points back! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Hm. Yep.

Bad question by the professor. If s/he wanted you to draw an enantiomer or diastereomer, s/he should have specified.

Reactions: 2 users
SDN is not for homework help. I recommend asking these types of questions on some of the many forums dedicated to answering chemistry and physical science questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.