Are those enough to prepare for MCAT? Advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lana_995

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I have a couple of question on how to prepare for the new 2015 MCAT? Khan academy videos are great, but do you think it's enough to prepare you for the exam?
Also, do you think it's a good idea to use the 2009 Kaplan practice test book?
As for the people of Chicago, do you think they have MCAT books to check out at public or college libraries?
Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I found Khan Academy videos to be helpful for biochemistry, physiology and physics -- the latter only because I like to have people draw that stuff out for me. However, there are lots of videos, some either too vague or too complex to be of much help for MCAT prep. I wouldn't think them sufficient as one's sole source of prep material.

I can only really recommend ExamKrackers 2015 Manuals. They are concise, simple to use and cover pretty much everything you'll need to know for the exam. They also keep you thinking scientifically with passage based practice questions provided with the book. Supplement your physiology, biochem pathway and physics etc. with Khan Academy, but don't rely on them.

I believe that among the most critical things you can do are practice exams. I'd say take at least 3 full length exams, but that's entirely up to you to judge. I can recommend NextStep -- their tests were very analogous to the real thing, by my estimation and they provide a good breakdown of your practice exams, providing detailed feedback. It's important to note that NextStep were the only practice exams I took, but my opinion is shared by others who've used multiple prep companies.

Best of luck!

P.S. I did OK on the real thing using the mentioned materials. 510; 126/129/127/128