Are we all doomed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batista_123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi

ever since childhood, I was interested in how the eye works and amazed that we could correct vision by the use of glasses. So I thought optometry could be a good career choice. but I have heard that optometry is no longer a field where you can make good money due to several reasons.

Then I thought about pharmacy. There are also people saying pharmacist no longer make loads of cash.

I don't want to be a dentist because I don't see myself fixing teeth all day.

I don't want to do medical school because it takes too long and with obama care, who knows what will happen.

I am interested in law (especially criminal law) but lawyers are also whining about how all their income has gone down. everybody's a lawyer these days.

so I don't know what to do at this point :( ....what should I do?
And I am fully aware that you cannot choose a profession based on money alone, and I am not doing that. But I believe your career decision should make sense financially too.

most importantly, I want to be my own man. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me with all these health professions, you are going to be the government's slave. Can I be my own man in pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
LOL dude you totally only care about money. Go to wall street! or.....become a pharmaceutical sales rep. They make ton of money and it's still medically-related. Only thing is I've heard you have to be pretty attractive.

My best friend from high school married a man that's now a patent examiner. He makes very good money and they have a baby together now.

She never worked a day in her life (sometimes she helps with her family business but that's HER choice). She goes on vacation at least twice a year, goes shopping at the nicest malls, she lives in a mansion and drives a benz.

I suggest you follow her plan. I still talk to her from time to time. While I am studying, she is in Hawaii or Paris with her husband.

I hope you get the picture. And please do not do pharmacy unless you love taking out massive loans! I'll be 80K in the hole with some help and even that is too much and NOT worth it! I am having regrets myself!

Members don't see this ad :)
'Then what are you basing it on? As far as I can tell you've just gone down the list of every "prestigious" field. If you're purely basing it on something that makes sense and money then go into engineering... huge growing field.

Dont bother doing Pharmacy unless you are really into healthcare and research. I have very specific goals for my life which I need PharmD for.

In other words, dont do it unless you can't imagine yourself doing anything else. Economy's down and so is everyone, so dont expect miracle pay out of school.

And ofc you can be your own man if you start a pharmacy. Only if you suceed though!
But if you are into getting lots of free time and basically being a PLaYa for LyFe, I suggest you go to Spain and start a prostitution ring.

The last part was obviously a joke. Noone is going to pay for you to do anything because everyone's trying to get above you, and they'll only pay their hard earned money to you for free if you are their offspring or you have power.

LOL dude you totally only care about money. Go to wall street! or.....become a pharmaceutical sales rep. They make ton of money and it's still medically-related. Only thing is I've heard you have to be pretty attractive.

by pharmaceutical sales rep, are you talking about the girls that come to the doctor's offices to advertise drugs? Yeah, they are hot.

Hi

ever since childhood, I was interested in how the eye works and amazed that we could correct vision by the use of glasses. So I thought optometry could be a good career choice. but I have heard that optometry is no longer a field where you can make good money due to several reasons.

Then I thought about pharmacy. There are also people saying pharmacist no longer make loads of cash.

I don't want to do medical school because it takes too long and with obama care, who knows what will happen.

I am interested in law (especially criminal law) but lawyers are also whining about how all their income has gone down. everybody's a lawyer these days.

And I am fully aware that you cannot choose a profession based on money alone, and I am not doing that. But I believe your career decision should make sense financially too.

most importantly, I want to be my own man. Maybe I am wrong, but it seems to me with all these health professions, you are going to be the government's slave. Can I be my own man in pharmacy?

If you can't handle customer service, then you shouldn't do retail. I recommend you go and work at a retail store for a while and see if you like it. If you do, then retail pharmacy may be for you.

by pharmaceutical sales rep, are you talking about the girls that come to the doctor's offices to advertise drugs? Yeah, they are hot.

I have not met one drug rep in my life, can you show me a picture of a celebrity whose beauty closely resembles that of a sales rep? And is it always a she? What if the physician is a female, will the company send a male rep? Maybe that could be a career for you. If you like to shake your money maker to docs, then sales rep is the right career for you.

exactly. you have the potential to make a lot of money BUT only if you are good. if you don't meet sales quota you are kicked out the door. any sales position is like that. honestly it looks like you are after fast cash and don't want to invest time/money into a degree so just go into drug sales. you dont need an advanced degree.

Of course we're all doomed. The world ends in May, or December, or something, didn't you hear?

Also, if you can't stand customer service, you better move to a country without such a large service industry. Or get really good at pretending.

Hi

AND if you haven't notice, pretty much all jobs in this country in one way or another, involves customer service. Think about it...do you know anyone who works for themselves? No, because anyone who works for themselves will not make money. So yes, you are not government's slave. No, you are a customer service person no matter what job you go. yes sir.

Of course we're all doomed. The world ends in May, or December, or something, didn't you hear?

Also, if you can't stand customer service, you better move to a country without such a large service industry. Or get really good at pretending.

+over 9000

Members don't see this ad :)
If you're only in it for money the system will weed you out except pharmacy. Too many diploma mills letting second rate people become pharmacists. No standard. If you don't like fixing teeth, DON'T BECOME A DENTIST. If you don't like medicine and pharmacology as a subject, DON'T BECOME A PHARMACIST.

Go become an engineer.

All the professions listed make 100k+

I have met two male reps. Nice guys I guess. I have only met one female rep. She was the stereotypical female rep.

Like the Katy Perry(Brand?) female rep?? Oh gosh I would love to meet her. I don't care what she's selling, I'll say YES YES YES!!!

Batista maybe you should be a sales rep for the female docs. That way you can be your own man

Like the Katy Perry(Brand?) female rep?? Oh gosh I would love to meet her. I don't care what she's selling, I'll say YES YES YES!!!

Batista maybe you should be a sales rep for the female docs. That way you can be your own man

hey, I am curious, when you say "Yes yes yes" are you referring to who I think you are referring to?

This is the guy who changed from pre-med because he doesn't really like interacting with people. I remember now. And it's not that easy to become a drug rep... I don't know if this reflects the whole job market but the ones around here seem to always have hiring freezes going on

If you're only in it for money the system will weed you out except pharmacy. Too many diploma mills letting second rate people become pharmacists. No standard. If you don't like fixing teeth, DON'T BECOME A DENTIST. If you don't like medicine and pharmacology as a subject, DON'T BECOME A PHARMACIST.

At the rate this is going, people going to get careers in the pharmacy profession will be those who graduate from schools that are actually worth the tuition money you paid for. (Hint: third rate diploma mills)

Why people would settle for less is beyond me.

"Are we all doomed?"

Short answer: yes. Long answer: yes, we are.

I'm doing a rotation in a doctor's office now and I was surprised by just how many drug reps come by. I'm only there for half the day but it seems like every time I'm there, one or two show up. There are both males and females. They aren't as hot as I thought they would be. Yes, they aren't unattractive but I would describe them as more "professional" looking than hot. I have talked to a couple and from what I can gather, it is a tough time to be a drug rep. The industry is consolidating and there are less jobs to go around. One had her company bought out and she was grateful that she didn't get laid off. The job looks pretty boring too. They spend lots of time just waiting around for the doctor to become available so they can drop off samples and give their little spiel.