Are we supposed to get out student hosts anything?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katniss09

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure what the normal etiquette is for this..thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Could you rephrase the question?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you stay with a student host for an interview, do you need to bring the host a gift?

Reactions: 1 user
I have not had dinner with any of my hosts (though one got takeout for me before I came!). I've been leaving a $15.00 giftcard to starbucks to everyone as a little nice gesture. I would do the same or buy them dinner like dizzy said.

Anything more than coffee or a small gift card is weird and personally makes me uncomfortable. You're sleeping on my couch... like... it literally takes no effort on my part.

Reactions: 2 users
There have been threads on this in the past. I think consensus is usually that you really don't have to give them anything, but a $5-10 gift card to Starbucks is a really nice gesture that they can either use or sell or regift.

If you stay with a student host for an interview, do you need to bring the host a gift?
Wow, I should have read that right the first time. I'm clearly sleep deprived, sorry! :/

Small Starbucks/Amazon gift card.

Agree with the Starbucks gift card. That's what I've been doing, anyway.

Not sure what the normal etiquette is for this..thanks
The standard is to give kisses. One per cheek per host per night you use their accommodations

Reactions: 4 users
I second the kisses, but not on the cheek. I say get creative.

I second the kisses, but not on the cheek. I say get creative.
If same sex, go cheek. If opposite sex, go big or go home (pun intended)

Reactions: 3 users
I've found that treating the host to dinner works well. It allows you to sample the local restaurant scene with their guidance, provides a pleasant environment to spend time with the host and talk, and compensates them for their hospitality.

@Doctor Strange, it may not be a lot of actual effort, but in my opinion it's a big deal to allow someone to stay with you in your home. Such an act of trust deserves a gesture of courtesy in return.

Well yea taking them out to dinner tends to make them more receptive to the kisses. C'mon guys these are the basics

Reactions: 1 users
Every time I stayed with a host they had like a big exam the next day so I barely saw them. This has happened like 5 times. I think a gift card or Starbucks is fine although nothing and a gracious thank you is fine too.

If they pick you up from the airport, show you around town and such, then perhaps a small gift card or dinner like the other posters mentioned.

I always feel weird accepting gift cards and such from interviewees that stay with me. I'm letting them into my home because I know how expensive this process is, and wouldn't mind helping them save a few bucks. It may sound dumb, but when they give me stuff, it sort of makes me feel like they're paying me for my services.

Last edited:
As an M1/M2 my roommates and I hosted quite a few interviewees, and probably 1/4-1/3 of them left a thank you card or in one case an airport box of chocolate (very well received!). The one that came down with a stomach flu and got sick on the carpet bought us dinner after she recovered. ;)