Are you guys normal?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And you can't call them out for being a complete arse?
I guess you could. You'd probably fail the rotation, though.

Members don't see this ad.

I guess you could. You'd probably fail the rotation, though.
Well all I can say is that that's a pretty sorry way to behave. I wonder if people go in to surgery thinking, "I'm hot ****. I'll treat my highly educated future colleagues like they're idiots."

Lol this is hilarious!!!

Feel free to vent your frustrations but you exaggerate about us a little and maybe u just misunderstand our personalities?

I do pretty darn well and much, but I'm aware of my set backs and see so much in just about everyone that I lack. Yet sometimes I hear that people tell others behind my back that I'm full of myself, not that I care much, but I know that those people just misunderstand me.

Bro, you're taking this wait too personally. What is this "us" and "our" your talking about? I'm a premed too that's decently competitive.

If you noticed, the most successful premed and medical students are the calm ones who don't obsess over every minor detail in life.

And what is this "people just misunderstand me". You sound like a teenage girl.

Members don't see this ad :)
i am not a human; shout out to all my moonmen

Reactions: 1 user
Well all I can say is that that's a pretty sorry way to behave. I wonder if people go in to surgery thinking, "I'm hot ****. I'll treat my highly educated future colleagues like they're idiots."

wait, is this news to people that it's like this?
edit: maybe I just had some really pessimistic mentors haha

Reactions: 1 users
wait, is this news to people that it's like this?
edit: maybe I just had some really pessimistic mentors haha
It's not really news to me, as the egotistic surgeon stereotype is fairly common, but seeing that some go out of their way to be insulting over just minor things like Doc Strange mentioned, makes them look petty and immature. I'd expect more, but, oh well. The more you know.

The ob/gyn I know is really cool and easy to talk to (granted he's not much older than me) and certainly not a jerk, as far as I've seen. At least I have a good role model.

EDIT: Wow. When I posted that goat picture on my phone, I didn't know it was that big. O_O

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not really news to me, as the egotistic surgeon stereotype is fairly common, but seeing that some go out of their way to be insulting over just minor things like Doc Strange mentioned, makes them look petty and immature. I'd expect more, but, oh well. The more you know.

The ob/gyn I know is really cool and easy to talk to (granted he's not much older than me) and certainly not a jerk, as far as I've seen. At least I have a good role model.

EDIT: Wow. When I posted that goat picture on my phone, I didn't know it was that big. O_O

None of my mentors were like this when I worked with them (specifically referring to the surgeons). But they all kind of said that's how it would be as a student.

None of my mentors were like this when I worked with them (specifically referring to the surgeons). But they all kind of said that's how it would be as a student.
If that's the way it is, then that's that way it is. I'll never treat students that way, at least I hope not.

As an aside, I was speaking with an old school DO neurosurgeon (like, his degree still said "Doctor of Osteopathy") and he was adamant about how you have to go into medicine because you're passionate and you want to affect change. It was so nice to hear that from someone in the profession.

Members don't see this ad :)
I lost it at the goat pic.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you should go on some of those SOM open houses. You'll really meet some cool med students. You'll find that most of them are not the 3.9/40+ pre-med gunners but instead 3.6/32's.

good luck
we'll get there someday

I would say I'm pretty normal. I'm ambitious but normal. I received a bachelors and masters degree in biochem and the biomedical sciences, and I work as a research professional. I thought I was going into medicine after undergraduate, but it is precisely what you said in your first post that "premeds seem out of touch with reality" that I decided to take some time off. I felt like I did lose touch with reality. I'm glad I took time off because then I was able to see how many my friends hated medical school. All of them but one (a kid who's incredibly naturally intelligent and good at everything :p) said I shouldn't go into medicine. I also witnessed some people that got into medical school that flat out should not have. I knew them for at least two years or more, and their personalities suggested that there was something wrong with them. I'm talking about manipulative and controlling people as well as people who can't speak without incorporating some obscenity in each sentence they speak. I was able to travel the world, and learn new things. I gained numerous resources, and I learned so much about myself. I received a masters, and then I taught myself business. I built a business from the ground up with the help of my many business and design resources. I do pretty well, but I realized that medicine has truly been a dream of mine. I'll hopefully be matriculating in 2016. I took the MCAT in June and did pretty well with a balanced score above 10 in each section. It just takes a bit of self-discovery. Taking time off after undergrad was the best decision of my life, and I only just turned 25!!!!

Reactions: 1 users
I can carry on a conversation, but if I'm being honest, I do have to admit to a little neuroticism. It's a scary process with a lot riding on the outcome and I'm all in.

Normal? typically during my weekends a few of my friends and I rent out the local fire departments truck search around for some prime real estate for the panty raid, raise the ladder to the selected window and commence the festivities.

Normal? typically during my weekends a few of my friends and I rent out the local fire departments truck search around for some prime real estate for the panty raid, raise the ladder to the selected window and commence the festivities.

damn now I'm on youtube looking at spongebob clips

You'd have to define normal as it is relative.

My non-science friends think I am nuts because I have science interests. My science friends think I am not normal because I have non-science interests. In the middle ages, I would be considered perfectly normal to have accomplishments in both categories. I am not unusual in my family.

In comparison to the people on SDN, I am downright normal even though I have an anxiety disorder.

Seriously I'm not trolling. Are you guys normal? It seems as if numerous people on this forum and lots of premeds I meet are so out of touch with reality. Their life is so focused on "medicine" and nothing else. I understand a physician's life revolves around their career but some premeds wake up and go to sleep thinking about their application. Asking if this will look good on their application, squeezing in hours at a soup kitchen to boast up their chances, and all this nonsense. No hobbies outside of school and no friends outside of medicine.

To top it off they are not even smart. They just memorize a bunch of BS and spit it back on a piece of paper. Then they go around floating to all their peers saying they are going to be a neurosurgeon when they are older which is completely laughable. Like extremely laughable. They are so out of touch with how the real world works or even how healthcare works. But physicians I meet are nothing like premed students. When do these students mature or do they ever?

I would say your assessment is pretty true. Premeds and med students are pretty unbalanced. Once they realize medicine isn't what they fantasized it to be and maybe learned about a peer who is involved in litigation (or maybe themselves), they begin to come back to the normal world.

I would say your assessment is pretty true. Premeds and med students are pretty unbalanced. Once they realize medicine isn't what they fantasized it to be and maybe learned about a peer who is involved in litigation (or maybe themselves), they begin to come back to the normal world.

The thing is most of the unbalanced ones don't even recognize that they are unbalanced.

Aren't you a cybernetic organism with detailed files?
I have detailed files on human anatomy...

(The T-800's time travel, Wolverine-like healing mechanisms, and other attributes make him paranormal-definitely more than a machine with human tissue. The T-1000 on the other hand, defies science even more...)

I have found that once my students set foot on campus, the instantly lose the pre-med gunner mentality.

Seriously, you really expect normal, rational mature behavior about of any 18-22 year old, regardless of professional interest???

Step away from the computer tonight.

When do these students mature or do they ever?
[/QUOTE]

Then why do we recruit this age population to take care of our most vulnerable?

ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1406520458.008098.jpg

Why? Do I look like a pathologist? I can inform you that I can totally be socially appropriate and would act properly with patients.

I have detailed files on human anatomy...

(The T-800's time travel, Wolverine-like healing mechanisms, and other attributes make him paranormal-definitely more than a machine with human tissue. The T-1000 on the other hand, defies science even more...)

Google = SkyNet

No one who voluntarily goes to med school is normal. Normal is boring anyway. :cool:

I totally agree. If you pursue medicine because your parents told you to do so; It can't get more normal than that.