are you looking forward to quitting your current job?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coolness

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those who are going to attend medical school in the Fall, are you looking forward to quitting your current job? Have you told anyone at your job that you will attend med school? What were their reactions? If you dislike your current job, why do you dislike it?

Members don't see this ad.

dear god yes. i can't wait to quit. there's been another thread about this i think. lots of people are quitting at the end of may, but i'm holding out until late june. i told people when i was applying for jobs that it would be a one-year deal for me, and they all know when i'm leaving. make sure you give them enough time to find a replacement for you. i'm glad to go because my job is soooooo boring. great people, etc., but i just can't stand sitting at the computer for 8 hours a day. aboslutely no clinical correlation, or even any challange anymore. it's my own fault since i knew what i was getting into, but at that point, i just wanted a paycheck every month. anyhow, just a little rant on my part. my advice - get out as soon as you can and have fun this summer. what's an extra thousand dollars or so in lost pay when you'll be owing over $100 grand soon. gotta be optimistic! :D

I'm holding out until mid to late July, and I'm still not sure if I'll be starting in the fall or deferring... so I may be posting on this kind of thread next year! :eek:

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes and no... I have had the fortunate opportunity to like the people I work with, and the job lets me chat on SDN (can't complain about that), however, I'm looking forward to becoming a doctor that can chat on SDN through the hospital's wireless network... ;) :D

i am SO READY TO QUIT MY JOB. i just can't wait. i work in an office, and though my job is vaguely related to medicine, it's definitely on the boring side. and my boss is a miserable little man who applied to med school 3 times and never got in and now works in middle management. he knows i'm going to med school, so you can imagine how that goes ("oh, congratulations. that's great. you know, i used to be interested in going into medicine, but now i think doctors lack scientific sophistication and are really just puppets to the drug companies. have you decided what you want to specialize in? because really it doesn't matter what you want - all that matters is how well you do and you have to go where they put you. hopefully you'll end up in something you like. but it will really depend on how you do compared to your classmates") anyway, my last day is going to be june 25. 8 weeks and 2 days!!! :D knowing i'm leaving makes work more bearable in some ways, but also pretty much kills my motivation to do work. hopefully the 8 weeks will slip by really fast.

I am also looking forward to quitting, even though I love (most of) the people in my lab. I don't like this whole 9-5 thing too much, and I'm also working as a waitress to save up some extra spending money for next year. It will be an interesting change, switching gears from overworking myself at 2 jobs to overworking myself as a student! Still, it is exciting to get on with a new phase of your life. :)
My plan is to quit work around the last week in July (just in time for my birthday!), spend a few weeks or so up in Burlington, VT with a certain someone, and then head down to New York around August 20.

I am looking forward to quitting only because I want to move on with my life. I like my job - I'm an aerospace engineer. I've always liked planes and rockets since I was a little kid and that's kind of why I went into engineering. I've been able to travel all over the country on the company's time, I've been able to take any classes I want and have that paid by the company, and I've also been able to get a national security clearance and look at new high tech and secret designs in future combat systems. Boeing has paid for my master's program, my pre med classes, and for getting a masters, I get awarded 100 shares of stock. The company's been great and if it came down to it, I wouldn't mind working here for a while longer. The pay is ultra competitive.

On the flip side of the coin, we're not getting any younger and I do wish to further myself as soon as possible so yes, I am definitely looking forward to medical school. I think medicine is a much more stable job, it's also beneficial to society, and I'm inclined to do some missions work in the rural parts of Asia. I will be quitting the end of July, 1 week away from my white coat ceremony. In between now and then, I have to pack and figure out how to rent out my house without losing money.

I'm also gonna miss Southern California like CRAZY.

DrWuStar said:
("oh, congratulations. that's great. you know, i used to be interested in going into medicine, but now i think doctors lack scientific sophistication and are really just puppets to the drug companies. ).

Sounds like my boss. He's a PhD with zero respect for MDs and continually tells me how I'm throwing my life away, but deep down I can tell that he wishes he would've gone to med school.

C'est la vie, next Tuesday's my last day...and then I can start my three months of complete slacking before I do throw my life away...

I like my job, it is medicine related, but i am ready to move on with my life also! I am tired of being a FOLLOWER and am ready to be a LEADER... actually i am ready to leave the working world and go back to school life. I told my people when i had to go away for interviews... they are all excited for me( i am lucky i have great co-workers!). But i havent told them yet when i am planning on leaving. I want to leave end of june, but i feel like i need the money. and then as you guys said it 2000 is noting compared to 200,000 debt!! so i am still thinking about my options!!!! and one thing i am not going to miss about my job is the an hour commute to work in really really bad LA traffic!!!! oooooh man can't wait!

I personally am not looking forward to quitting my job at all. It is a job I love to do, and I work with people I consider family. The last day I work will be a tough one for me.
That said, I am looking forward to med school more and more every day. I am very excited to go, and truly feel it is the path I am meant to be on (cliche, I know, but that's how I feel).
It is weird to want to start something (med school) badly, and at the same time not want something else to end (my job). Contradictory to be sure, but what can you do?

bobbo said:
Sounds like my boss. He's a PhD with zero respect for MDs and continually tells me how I'm throwing my life away, but deep down I can tell that he wishes he would've gone to med school.

Yeah, lots of people suffer from medschoolrejectitis, which for some reason, it still effects people decades after they got rejected. I've encountered quite a few of those folks in my day, and I can only pity them when they say stuff like, "I never really liked doctors. You're gonna lose a lot of sleep and being pre-med will narrow your undergraduate experience... yabba yabba..." I just smile and think to myself - I'll be outa this sorry job in a month but you sure won't! (evil internal laugh).

Seriously though, it's quite irritating when people openly criticize a significant choice in my life. I try not to take it personally. I try to let it strengthen my conviction in medicine. :)