Are you viewed differently as a reapplicant

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

russ123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I still have two interviews left(applied to four good osteopathic/DO schools, interviewed at one already, other didnt respond), but i applied very late, was done in the middle of january, iam losing hope, preparing to retake the mcat and do better(got a 31 first time)......

*******Im wondering if reapplicants are pooled differently and looked at AFTER first time applicants, do we have a lower chance of getting in, or is it a fair playing ground*******???

My science gpa is a 3.5 and overall is a 3.7, i believe my lateness is the main reason im not as competitive this cycle as I could be....now im wondering if i should just have waited and applied early as a first time applicant. I hope someone can clear this up for me. Im hoping being a reapplicant isnt like a scarlet letter, if not, I feel confident that I have a good chance if I apply the first day applications open up!!!.....

Members don't see this ad.

sounds like this app season is FAR from over for you and 3 interviews out of 4 applications is excellent. you should continue to focus on getting in this cycle as it sounds like you have a good chance despite a late app. send letters of interest and possibly a letter of intent to your top choice. do some leg work and you should come out on top.

PS: 3.7/3.5/31 is definitely within range for many US MD schools, if you end up having to reapply i would suggest putting in an AMCAS app too.

It depends on the individual school. Some schools only care that you are a reapplicant, others want to see substantial improvement. Some schools also put a cap on how many times you can apply to a given program; I've seen it capped at 2 or 3.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi thanks for your response! ive seen people mentuon a letter or interest and letter of intent, i still dont quite get what they are of what the difference is, thanks in advance for anyone who can clear up the difference. The first school i interviewed it hasnt responded to me, but responded to others, im oos for that school and they are 90% in state, but since they gave me the interview and were so nice I got my hopes up and it feels really ****ty for them not to respond to me, it really made me apprehensive about my future and dropped my confidence.

From my understanding a letter of intent is for when you are on the waitlist (eg I intend to attend here if accepted) while a letter of interest is for when you are put on a holding list for interviews (eg I'm interested in this school, please look at my app again).

*******Im wondering if reapplicants are pooled differently and looked at AFTER first time applicants, do we have a lower chance of getting in, or is it a fair playing ground*******???
i believe my lateness is the main reason im not as competitive this cycle as I could be....now im wondering if i should just have waited and applied early as a first time applicant. I hope someone can clear this up for me. Im hoping being a reapplicant isnt like a scarlet letter, if not, I feel confident that I have a good chance if I apply the first day applications open up!!!.....

In general, yes, it's a disadvantage to be a reapplicant.

Why didn't you apply earlier, and more broadly, to more programs?

From my understanding a letter of intent is for when you are on the waitlist (eg I intend to attend here if accepted) while a letter of interest is for when you are put on a holding list for interviews (eg I'm interested in this school, please look at my app again).

incorrect. the difference in name is just about the sentiment the letter conveys not when you are sending it, though it would certainly be strange to send a letter of intent before getting an interview. you can however send a letter of intent after interview but before a decision has been made. You can also send a letter of interest at that time if you aren't comfortable using the stronger language of a letter of intent. In fact, those letters really don't have much of an impact except after an interview or if you're on the waitlist. Sending one out before being invited for an interview is pretty low-yield.