Argon vs YAG laser

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eyeDockim

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
my professor said Argon is more stronger so it burns the tissue. In PACG or plateaus iris, argon will go all the way through the iris. and YAG goes upto the iris stroma.

but on her ppt said "Argon laser bruns go to the stroma not all the way through the iris."

can anyone clarify the difference btw those two lasers?

Also, is iridotomy the same as iridoplasty?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I don't see argon lasers used much. YAG took over, I feel. I almost exclusively see the Ziess YAG and the Alcon YAG. I work in NYC.

I think ALT is still commonthough.

I guess it depends on individual doctor's hardware. I mean, if the OMD has an argon laser, he'll want to use it, so he can bill it and make money.

NOTE:
Iredectomy is the surgical procedure, open globe, where an actual incision in made in the iris. You don't see this often. Usually done if the globe's integrity will be compromised anyways, like in conjunction with cataract or vitrectomy surgery, etc.

Iridotomy is the term used when a laser is used. This obviously is not open globe, and is minor office surgical procedure.

I haven't heard "-plasty" used in reference to ACG glaucoma procedures concerning the iris.

Iridoplasty is for plateau iri..

The two lasers work differently. Argon causes a burn. Yag is a photodisrupter. It creates a small explosion in a focused area. An Argon is used in an iridoplasty because you want to contract the tissue to pull the iris away from the angle and PAS etc..

YAG is stronger...ophthalmologists use less shots with a YAG than Argon. It used to be that most ophthalmologists had only Argon so ALT and Peripheral iridotomy would be done with both. Then with YAG they could do PI's faster and also treat posterior capsular opacity by lasering it. Argon isn't strong enough for PCO treatment. That being said, it does not create a burn like the argon does

Reactions: 1 user