Arkansas College of Osteopathic Medicine (ARCOM) 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Have they indicated to anyone on what they anticipate the wait time to be for acceptances?

Members don't see this ad.

Have they indicated to anyone on what they anticipate the wait time to be for acceptances?
When I interviewed, they said the admissions committee would meet every other Thursday and would make phone calls to let us know if we got accepted.

Other people have said that were told it would take up to 3 weeks to make a decision.

The first interviews occurred 3 weeks and 1 day ago.

I have not heard of anyone getting a decision either way yet.

Sent from my SM-G360T using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
When I interviewed, they said the admissions committee would meet every other Thursday and would make phone calls to let us know if we got accepted.

Other people have said that were told it would take up to 3 weeks to make a decision.

The first interviews occurred 3 weeks and 1 day ago.

I have not heard of anyone getting a decision either way yet.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
The school is very welcoming and all of the staff are very much focused on the school's mission and the success of their future students.

You'll be sat down in an office where it's just you and your two interviewers. The interview has a conversational feel to it (they'll likely try to make you feel as comfortable as possible, they're not trying to scare you).

Interview questions were mostly basic, but I'm sure that they alter the questions a bit for each interviewee. Mine were something along the lines of "tell me something about yourself that isn't on your application, how will you handle the changes in your life that medical school will bring, name an ethical issue in your field of work and how to manage it, how do you manage stress/loss of a patient/disappointment."
Do do you know if they just have our secondaries? Or our whole application? Any ethical questions?

I received an interview invite on Friday. VERY excited, as this is my first II! I will be there on the 28th. Is anyone else going to be in that group???

Last edited by a moderator:
I received an interview invite on friday too. Any additional advice regards to interview or travel? I selected 21st! Thanks guys!

anybody actually been out and about around fort smith? I went after my interview. it's a very historical & small town where the beer is $3 max wherever you go

Flights are $$$$$$. I'm going to tough it out, rent a car for 4 days, and make the 15 hour drive :(. Another option is to fly into DFW and drive 4 hours
I haven't looked because I'm local, but flights into and out of XNA are typically much cheaper. It's in northwest Arkansas and should only be a ~1.5 hour drive to Fort Smith.

my flight round trip to ft. smith as $400 and that was way cheap compared to the usual flight prices

I haven't looked because I'm local, but flights into and out of XNA are typically much cheaper. It's in northwest Arkansas and should only be a ~1.5 hour drive to Fort Smith.
That's good to know. I was actually able to get a rental car for $100 for 5 days. Add in ~$110 for gas and it's really a great deal for me. The 15 hour drive sucks, but I enjoy road trips and plan to space my travel time out. This application cycle is sucking me dry, so being as frugal as possible is essential :) .

For others considering flying, look at Spirit Airlines if they fly out of an airport near you. You can fly into DFW for $175 (For me at least) and rent a car to finish the trip to Fort Smith from Dallas (~4 hours).

That's good to know. I was actually able to get a rental car for $100 for 5 days. Add in ~$110 for gas and it's really a great deal for me. The 15 hour drive sucks, but I enjoy road trips and plan to space my travel time out. This application cycle is sucking me dry, so being as frugal as possible is essential :) .

For others considering flying, look at Spirit Airlines if they fly out of an airport near you. You can fly into DFW for $175 (For me at least) and rent a car to finish the trip to Fort Smith from Dallas (~4 hours).

Ah nice. It's costing me over 700 bucks if I fly straight into Ft.Smith. So I managed to find a much cheaper alternative if I fly into SWO in OK instead. Then it's about a 2.5-3 hrs drive to Ft. Smith

I completely understand! It's like they think we live on a physician's salary already!

For anyone that's coming for an interview that has questions about the area (food, entertainment, housing, etc.), shoot me a PM or ask away on here! Lived in the area my entire life so I should be able to help out :)

Just got an email saying they have an incomplete phone number to contact me at, anyone else get this? I'd like to think thats a good sign but who knows lol

Members don't see this ad :)
There are local kids that interviewed the first date and have received acceptances. You all should be any day now!

Were they the 9/23 interviews? Any idea when they got the call?

To the best of my knowledge, there were 3 Arkansas people in the first interview group. Two of those have not heard anything, so take that for whatever it's worth. Have no contact with the 3rd, so status is unknown.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys I declined my interview, good vibes to whoever gets it

Interviewing on the 11th! Hope to see some of you all there! If anyone wants to grab food/drinks the night before or after, let me know!

Declined my interview here, hoping one of you gets it :) best of luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Oh, okay. She called me too.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Recently interviewed here. At first I didnt know what to expect because they are a brand new school and had a lot of technical difficulties starting with secondaries but I really liked the place. The faculty is warm and receptive and I feel that they keep an open mind. They seem like they are getting things together and are really excited for new students. For now I wait for their decision on my status. Hopefully its good news haha.

What info do the interviewers have? Whole application? Only secondaries?

Tomorrow???
Who knows at this point. The wait time seems quite a bit longer than other DO schools.

I almost called the school yesterday to ask when they expect to provide decisions. But I got nervous and decided to hold off. Lol

The wait time here is actually pretty normal. I would expect they have a lot to learn as this is thier first admissions cycle. If you want to call, just call.

The wait time here is actually pretty normal. I would expect they have a lot to learn as this is thier first admissions cycle. If you want to call, just call.
Maybe the other DO schools I am comparing them to are just faster than normal. I'm no expert on the process though, this is my first application cycle.

Who knows at this point. The wait time seems quite a bit longer than other DO schools.

I almost called the school yesterday to ask when they expect to provide decisions. But I got nervous and decided to hold off. Lol

You got nervous about what? They're not going to ask your name. I've called many schools about things and they're nice. What are you so scared about?

You got nervous about what? They're not going to ask your name. I've called many schools about things and they're nice. What are you so scared about?
What am I so scared about? Lol.

Please disregard my post on this topic.

Don't worry, the rest of us are too scared to call either lolol
Omg lol I'll personally call in the am and post it tomorrow. I've called every school that I had a question for with zero problems.

Flights are $$$$$$. I'm going to tough it out, rent a car for 4 days, and make the 15 hour drive :(. Another option is to fly into DFW and drive 4 hours
I would maybe check tulsa for flights and take the 2 hour drive from there. Depending where you're coming from you definitely should be able to find some cheap flights to Arkansas. For example I fly to Las Vegas round trip for $90. I also got round trip tickets to Russia last summer for $480. During spring break I got round trip tickets to Fort Lauderdale FL for $160. You should definitely be able to find some cheap flights if thats what you're looking for. (especially this last minute because airlines are just trying to fill up the planes)

Don't worry, the rest of us are too scared to call either lolol

So I called first thing this am. They "will be giving out acceptances soon so please just be a little more patient."

Reactions: 5 users
Then I'm going to go out on a limb and say the local kid saying last week he/she had been accepted is :bullcrap: sorry for reporting inaccurate info!

Reactions: 1 users