Army/AF National Guard vs. Active Duty Physician

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted646902

Good afternoon everyone,

I just wanted to get the opinions of people who are better suited than I to answer them. I am applying to Medical School right now as a senior in undergrad and will be taking a gap year however I am dead set on becoming Doc in the armed forces. I've been searching around for a side by side comparison of the pro's and con's of active duty vs. national guard as a physician but I have not been able to find this information. Would anyone be able to answer these questions for me? I appreciate the time you are giving me and I look forward to reading the responses. Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

1. Do you want to be primarily a civilian doc with a civilian residency under his belt who serves the military part time with occasional full time deployments lasting 4-12 mos, depending on war? You are on your own for tuition but control where you work and live.

2. Do you want to be primarily a military doc with a likely military residency who might occasionally moonlight at civilian centers? You will also have deployments to contend with. You do not have control over where you work and live but the military picks up the tab for your medical school tuition.

Figure out whether 1 or 2 appeals to you then read the many stickers that will help you choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk