PhD/PsyD Army HPSP Internship Match Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

armyboots

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was recently selected for the Army 1-year HPSP (excited, woohoo!) so I had some questions looking ahead at the internship process for HPSP people.

Now I know the Army stops short of using the word "guarantee" with respect to their internship positions. I imagine this is the case as a protection against students who might essentially call it in for the rest of their training, let grades slip, stop research projects, etc. It also allows them an out for any gross character defects revealed during an in-person interview, ethical violations, and new criminal activity (done after an individual clears the initial background check), although a military discharge would probably just serve that same purpose. That being said, I'm having a hard time seeing how it's not nearly a given provided you don't get into the aforementioned problems.

Let's look at the numbers (may be off +/- 1 or 2, but the general idea is pretty much the same). My understanding is that there were 5 1-year folks from this year and 3 2-year scholarships from the 2014-2015 cycle - making a total of 8 HPSP recipients applying for internship next year. Per APPIC, the Army offered the following internship positions for 2016-2017: Brooke (6), Eisenhower (6), Madigan (6), and Tripler (6). None were available at Walter Reed and I don't know if they are restoring those spots, so I'll just leave them out of our calculations. That leaves us with 24 spots and 8 commissioned students. There will be others applying for those positions (CPIP), but I imagine some type of preference to those 8 considering the Army's ongoing financial investment, completed background check, cleared medical, and the fact they were already competitive relative to other students interested in a military career when initially selected.

Thoughts? Also, anyone know what happens if a student may need to delay applying for internship beyond the covered 1 or 2 years of scholarship for any miscellaneous reason (e.g., needs to complete a program requirement, family emergency)?

Hope I can connect with any recent 1-year or 2-year awardees from last year as we'll all be in the thick of the internship process soon enough!

Lastly, congratulations for those who matched in Phase I and good luck for those going on to Phase II!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Not an internship question, but does anyone know how many total people applied for the Army HPSP this year; 1-year, 2-year, or both?

I'd also be curious to hear about the Navy numbers as well.

Thanks!

Not an internship question, but does anyone know how many total people applied for the Army HPSP this year; 1-year, 2-year, or both?

Thanks!

I was told that for the 2 year scholarship they selected 5 out of 27. For the 1 year, I have not heard of the number yet. You are the third person on SDN to post about receiving the 1 year though!

Members don't see this ad :)
Another question for other Army HPSP recipients, past and present:

Will we be submitting a separate packet again to the USAREC boards for CPIP (Clinical Psychology Internship Program), in addition to our APPIC applications? I know we've been selected for HPSP already, but perhaps this is more of a formality to have us "selected" again? This then allows the training hospitals to know we're good to go to be ranked on their end. No big deal either way as most of the previous application likely carries over to this process. I was just curious about that and my recruiting office wasn't sure as they haven't had an HPSP student in the 2-3 years they've been assigned there.

Thanks!

You will need a separate packet for CPIP. You will have a head start as much of it is completed, but you should update LoRs and all materials. There is no guarantee you will be selected for CPIP, and you will submit site rankings through APPIC with all applicants. There have been HPSP applicants who have not matched, and I would recommend taking this more seriously than civilian applicants, since you could serve out your commitment as a 70B if you don't match where they can just reapply next year. Everyone would like to see you succeed, but HPSP doesn't hold much weight compared to clinical hours or a solid internship application.

student til 30:

Thank you for your response about the CPIP board packet. You also provide insight on my first question about the [lack of an] internship "guarantee," despite what the numbers would suggest at face value. May I ask if you are a current or past HPSP recipient, and for what branch? I'm eager to hear more of your experiences so far as you've navigated through being a student, intern, fellow, or licensed clinician (depending on where you fall in the spectrum of professional development currently)! Thanks, I'd really appreciate any additional information you might be able to provide, especially with respect to the military match. Of course, feel free to PM me if that is your preference.

The National Training Coordinator for the Army asked that this be posted.

The Army has five internship sites that participate in APPIC. Each program's faculty evaluates applications with no preferences granted for military status. Each year the internship programs receive applications from HPSP recipients, ROTC Ed delay graduate students, and officers from Uniform Services University's PhD program and civilian applicants. The goal of each faculty is to identify and rank applicants based on knowledge, skills and experience (AAPI) and interviews conducted by faculty. An individual's obligation to the Army for future service is not a variable in this process. The goal for each of the programs is to match with the individuals with the best skills, potential, and goodness of fit for that specific internship site.

We do have a vested interest in the success of those the Army has already invested in (HPSP, USUHS, ROTC) and work to assist them in being successful. HPSP recipients are contacted by the Army Psychology National Training Coordinator and provided a mentor (usually a current psychology intern or early career Army Psychologist). HPSP recipients are also encouraged to complete an ADT (active duty for training) at one of the Army hospitals during the summer. This provides another opportunity for networking and mentorship.

There have been HPSP, ROTC or USUHS individuals that did not match with an Army internship site and were subsequently matched with an APA accredited civilian internship. They complete the civilian internship and are then accessed to active duty into one of the Army postdoc training programs.

Any HPSP or ROTC Ed delay student that is experiencing difficulties should notify the National Training Coordinator to discuss any issues that might require a delay in internship application. The reason must be compelling to receive approval for a delay in reporting to active duty.

For information on how to contact the National Program Director, feel free to PM me.

Great post, USArmyHPSP! I'll send you a PM for additional information.

On the topic of ADT's, will it possible to do one if selected for the 1-year HPSP? The ADT would have to occur this coming summer but not sure on the process of arranging for that. At this point, still waiting on scroll approval, then will have to complete additional paperwork and commission first.

Great post, USArmyHPSP! I'll send you a PM for additional information.

On the topic of ADT's, will it possible to do one if selected for the 1-year HPSP? The ADT would have to occur this coming summer but not sure on the process of arranging for that. At this point, still waiting on scroll approval, then will have to complete additional paperwork and commission first.

I was wondering the same thing! I think it would be great to have that experience before internship.

Not only possible, but encouraged. Stay on top of your recruiter to ensure that your packet gets forwarded to the HPSP office ASAP.

Not only possible, but encouraged. Stay on top of your recruiter to ensure that your packet gets forwarded to the HPSP office ASAP.

Thank you for that feedback. I was wondering if you had any recommendations regarding where I am at in the process. I was told that I'm only waiting on scroll approval with the date of submission being in the beginning of February. You mentioned staying on top of the recruiter and making sure packet gets forwarded to the HPSP office. Does this occur after the scroll? Also, is there anything else myself or my recruiter can do at this point?

There is one thing that you need to do if you haven't already. Please logon to www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation and request a logon ID. If you have trouble reaching this site, call 888-849-4341 or 703-681-4341 and tell them you are having a problem logging on. After you receive your logon ID, create a password, and logon to the site. You can then pre-enroll - which is the actual first step in setting up the scholarship funding. You then can then request ADT at the same web site.

Past that, there isn't much you can do until your scroll comes back and you can finish up the paperwork with your recruiter.

There is one thing that you need to do if you haven't already. Please logon to www.mods.army.mil/medicaleducation and request a logon ID. If you have trouble reaching this site, call 888-849-4341 or 703-681-4341 and tell them you are having a problem logging on. After you receive your logon ID, create a password, and logon to the site. You can then pre-enroll - which is the actual first step in setting up the scholarship funding. You then can then request ADT at the same web site.

Past that, there isn't much you can do until your scroll comes back and you can finish up the paperwork with your recruiter.

USArmyHPSP,

The link you provided does not seem to be working or is inactive at the moment. I found the following alternative link, however: https://education.mods.army.mil/MEDED/UserLogon/UserLogon.asp

Does this site serve the same purpose to pre-enroll and request an ADT?

Thank you, sir/ma'am.

Last edited:

Thanks!
Army boots,
My recruiter said that there were 30 applicants and 6 slots for Navy HPSP this year. They only accepted 30 aps this year.

Also, you can get many of your questions answered by current HPSP scholars and interns. You can get in touch with them through the APA division 19 student chapter. Join the group and get access to tons of awesome colleagues and start networking :)