Army National Guard Spots

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the prodogy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that the Army National Guard only gives out 200 spots. I was wondering if that means that it's 200 spots for Dental students and 200 spots for medical, or if it's 200 spots for both combined. Also how early do you think you have to apply so that the spots don't fill up. 200 spots just don't seem like a lot to me.

Members don't see this ad.

You might try posting on the thread Army National Guard's new Med student program details. There's lots of active discussion by current ASR participants.

To answer your questions, though:

1. Yes, the 200 spots includes potential physicians, dentists, and physician assistants.
2. The number of applicants seems to be rising quickly. There are some spots available for a 1 JUL start, but not many and if you haven't started paperwork yet, your odds of getting a completed application done in time by the 1 JUN deadline are pretty remote. The new fiscal year starts 1 OCT, though, and there should be 200 spots opening then. They aren't broken down into 4 quarters of 50 spots, so the sooner you apply, the better your chances.

If you have other questions, you might have better luck using the above link.

Remember, the 200 is for the new ASR program only. They will still take mroe than 200 per year, just not for the ASR program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Remember, the 200 is for the new ASR program only. They will still take mroe than 200 per year, just not for the ASR program.
Good point. I didn't stop and think he was talking about the National Guard as a whole.

OP- iatrosB is correct: the 200 spot limit is for the ASR program. If that fills, there are other programs for medical students in the Guard (MDSSP, for instance).

Good point. I didn't stop and think he was talking about the National Guard as a whole.

OP- iatrosB is correct: the 200 spot limit is for the ASR program. If that fills, there are other programs for medical students in the Guard (MDSSP, for instance).

Sorry for my ignorance, but whats the difference betweent the ASR program and the MDSSP program?

Sorry for my ignorance, but whats the difference betweent the ASR program and the MDSSP program?

HUGE DIFFERENCE! We're talking night and day. Both great programs, but very different.

Bottom line...ASR is more money and less commitment, MDSSP (aka "strap") is less money, more commitment.

Read through the other thread referenced earlier to get a better idea about ASR, it's been beaten to death. Let us know if you have further questions. :thumbup:

Does anybody know where to find out how many slots are left for the ASR Program for this fiscal year?

I only ask because I am enlisted of 8 years and I dont want to commission and incur additional service obligations and only have FTA as a med student because all the slots were filled (yes, my state has crappy education benefits and dont give anything to professional degree students).

There is no one spot to find how many slots are left. However, as I believe notdeadyet said there are under 30 left for this fiscal year. Supposedly there will be 200 more starting Oct 1st. But according to my CO that may not be the case.

Does anybody know where to find out how many slots are left for the ASR Program for this fiscal year?
I'd contact a recruiter directly for this. Numbers have been thrown around, but they vary pretty wildly.
I only ask because I am enlisted of 8 years and I dont want to commission and incur additional service obligations and only have FTA as a med student because all the slots were filled
You'll have to fill out an application and have your packet submitted to the boards. The deadline for starting 1 July is June 1st. Completing everything and have it go through smooth sailing to get it all tied up in less than two months might not be realistic. Even if you went gung ho, there's a good chance you wouldn't start until 1 October anyway.

Also, sometimes the process is even longer for prior service types due to occassional WDC paperwork delays.
(yes, my state has crappy education benefits and dont give anything to professional degree students).
Same here.

I'd contact a recruiter and get the ball rolling, if I were you. Starting now even for a 1 October start would be a smart move.

For those of you who are wondering, the 200 slots in the ASR program are filled for this fiscal year.

This sucks........I guess ill just end up an NCO with an MD haha

For those of you who are wondering, the 200 slots in the ASR program are filled for this fiscal year.
True. But 200 are slotted to open up 1 October. As the application process takes a few months even if everything goes smoothly, and the deadline for everything will be 1 September, if folks are interested, now is a good time to start the process.

yup, I did mine and I was placed on the OML as of today

yup, I did mine and I was placed on the OML as of today
Fingers crossed. Did they give you any idea on when you might get a control number, or is it a wait and see?

I dont know, i better check and see on that. I will let everyone know as i dig into this mess.

I just got some bad news from my CO. She said that official word came from Guard Bureau today that the funds are cut. If you are currently in the program or have a control number, you're safe. The rest of you will be put on a wait list (as you already know), but future ASR slots will only become available as current ASRs graduate. Punkiedad: you're still set!

I have not actually read this anywhere, so everyone, please confirm.

I just talked to a certain Captain with whom many (dare I say most) of us are acquainted. He has confirmed my last post. He declined to offer any instructions regarding how we are to conduct our recruiting duties since that is up to our chains of command. Recruiting is pretty much on hold nation-wide since so many people are joining the military due to lost jobs/economy. Pennsylvania is actually full (in fact 600 people gotta go). Please refer to your chain of command for confirmation and instructions.

I will confirm what you have to say amindwalker, I was just told this morning that I will not get it. I busted my ass to get it too and jumped through all the hoops. I have 8 years of service too but I say screw it, im done with the army, asr was a last ditch effort for me.

IRR here i come......or the VA for disability...who knows

Good liuck to other apps