Army National Guard's new Med student program details.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I've read the thread, but I don't think I've seen this question asked or answered:
What are health/fitness requirements for med students joining?
I'm about 15 pounds over the weight chart max. for new enlistees, and possibly slightly over the body fat requirement.
So, what's the deal? Do I need to whip myself into shape before seeing a recruiter?

Call the recruiter now!!! There is a lot of paperwork you can start while you are loosing the 15lbs. You can be upfront about the issue with the recruiter and just tell them you want to get the ball rolling, but need to loose a little weight before you schedule your MEPS physical. Willingness to loose weight/diet to get into the program shows a level of motivation that most recruiters will appreciate.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys,
So i'm supposed to appear before the NV state board in about two weeks, My recruiter said theyll contact me closer to the time but I was just wondering what I should expect? I have no prior service. They also said i'll commission now in January but finally get the asr control number in April I believe. I'm hoping it all goes off without a hitch because my packet has been processing since march 07.

March '07? Holy ****zu! Mine started in February '07. What happened? Anyhoo, the board interview is nothing compared to med school interviews, so you're already perfectly prepared. Show up in a fine suit (without a ponytail, mohawk, facial tatoos, piercings, lip disk, etc), and then wing-it med school style. You will be uncommonly acceptable, guaranteed. Then, we will throw emoticon confetti on your behalf.

Members don't see this ad :)
In my case it was "You know what you're doing right? You know this is the Army and we fight wars in the desert right?" And of course "Why do you want to join the Army/what are your goals in the Army?"

March '07? Holy ****zu! Mine started in February '07. What happened? Anyhoo, the board interview is nothing compared to med school interviews, so you're already perfectly prepared. Show up in a fine suit (without a ponytail, mohawk, facial tatoos, piercings, lip disk, etc), and then wing-it med school style. You will be uncommonly acceptable, guaranteed. Then, we will throw emoticon confetti on your behalf.

Haha ok good to know. Yeah march 07, I was going to join under the mdssp program , then my first recruiter in CA got deployed to Iraq, so he sent over my packet to the NV guard , thats were stuff got a little screwy my LORs like expired and a whole lot of other delays. Thats why i've been a little skeptical of actually getting my commission. I just found out yesterday a guy in my school is ASR through the cal guard, but theyre still trying to figure out if hes going to drill in NV or CA and how thats all gonna work out.

Anybody already in the ASR program already receiving FTA? I tried to apply through my state's national guard office and they said since I'm active duty I have to apply through goarmyed.com. I've created an account there, but have not clue where to go from here. I appreciate any advice anybody can offer.

Anybody already in the ASR program already receiving FTA? I tried to apply through my state's national guard office and they said since I'm active duty I have to apply through goarmyed.com. I've created an account there, but have not clue where to go from here. I appreciate any advice anybody can offer.

That doesn't sound anything like what I was told. My problem is that we have an integrated curriculum and all the courses start in the fall and don't end til the spring. This means that I couldn't get tuition assistance for the current spring semester since by the way their rules worked. The person I spoke with acted like I would apply just like anyone else through that office.

Maybe you told the person at the office that you are active duty. Don't call it that, say you are ADSW.

That doesn't sound anything like what I was told. My problem is that we have an integrated curriculum and all the courses start in the fall and don't end til the spring. This means that I couldn't get tuition assistance for the current spring semester since by the way their rules worked. The person I spoke with acted like I would apply just like anyone else through that office.

Maybe you told the person at the office that you are active duty. Don't call it that, say you are ADSW.

Thanks so much for the help. I'll try that.

Here is the ARNG web site that explains FTA, and has the link for an online application (which by the way is not goarmyed.com)

http://www.virtualarmory.com/education/fedbenefits/tuition_fta.aspx

I'm not sure if you've thought of this yet or not, but with your years in so far your base pay would be significantly higher than us non PS folks. There was a post somewhere back talking about prior service and this program you might want to look at.

Start reading at post #16 on this thread.

Thanks EMH! I checked out the pay chart and it looks like with 8 years of traditional enlisted Guard service I'll be making $3325 in Basic Pay. From the BAH chart for FL officers with dependents it looks like I'll make $1595 a month! Add in officer BAS at $223 and that's a monthly total of $5143 before taxes! Uncle Sam is my sugar daddy!

It sure would be nice to squeeze O1E out of the deal but I don't think that's possible due to the traditional (drill one weekend a month) nature of my service. I'm thrilled to have stumbled upon this amazing opportunity.

GOOD NEWS.

I just spoke to a VA Education coordinator in WV (I'm going to WVSOM this fall), and he said if you are in the National Guard, you can get state tuition. HOLY ****....From $51,000 to $23,000 is a HUGE chump of change.

I first went to this website: http://myarmybenefits.us.army.mil/EN/Benefits/Browse/ByStateOrRegion/ , picked my state, and scrolled to education benefits. I found this:

"National Guard Education Benefits: The State of West Virginia will pay up to 100% of in-resident tuition and fees at any state-supported college/university. Out of state students pay tuition at the in-state rates at state supported schools.
Eligibility: Available Only to National Guard service members."

I will be considered out-of state because I will not have lived in WV one full year prior to school starting.

I asked the VA guy about whether or not WVSOM is a 'state-supported' school, and he said it didn't matter, as long as I was a WV Veteran (in the WV National Guard).

I recommend you look up the VA office for the state you're attending school at and ask them these same questions. He also said I was eligible for a bunch of other state grants because I was in the WV NG.

GOOD NEWS.

That sir, far exceeds GOOD NEWS. That's like winning the lottery, a huge chunk of money you weren't expecting.

I feel like the ASR program in general is akin winning the lottery! Koojo just got the kicker! Good job!

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel like the ASR program in general is akin winning the lottery! Koojo just got the kicker! Good job!

Hahaha that's what I felt like yesterday. I'll feel even better when it's in writing.

Be sure to check out the post 9/11 GI Bill that you'll get after 3 years of Active Duty too. I know that will come in handy 4th year when we go to just doing drills.

I'm prior service enlisted an used all but 2 months of my original (36 months) reserve GI Bill. However you can combine the reserve and active for up to 48 months total. In that case after 3 years ADSW I will have earned 14 months of the new Post 9/11 GI Bill, which I'll used 4th year and part of intern year.

Be careful for those thinking of taking it while on ADSW years 1-3. It may be to your benefit to wait and take it later. Read the regulations and look into it.

This pamphlet is fairly helpful on the breakdown of the new GI Bill.

Be sure to check out the post 9/11 GI Bill that you'll get after 3 years of Active Duty too. I know that will come in handy 4th year when we go to just doing drills.

I'm prior service enlisted an used all but 2 months of my original (36 months) reserve GI Bill. However you can combine the reserve and active for up to 48 months total. In that case after 3 years ADSW I will have earned 14 months of the new Post 9/11 GI Bill, which I'll used 4th year and part of intern year.

Be careful for those thinking of taking it while on ADSW years 1-3. It may be to your benefit to wait and take it later. Read the regulations and look into it.

This pamphlet is fairly helpful on the breakdown of the new GI Bill.

Do you think all US residencies qualify as approved programs? This link helped me consider waiting to take the benefits until 4th year.

https://www.gibill2.va.gov/vba/vba....?p_faqid=967&p_created=1226080941&p_topview=1

Hi all,

I have been reading through all the pages of this thread... which has given me some solid information, but I still have more questions. I have no military experience.

I am currently applying to several DO schools for this fall's matriculation. As far as the state's tuition policies (which I was looking at on the My Army Benefits' page), are all DO schools covered as 'state-supported' schools? I thought 'state-supported' meant public universities...?

For instance, let's say that I get accepted at both AZCOM and CCOM. Illinois pays 100% tuition for it's 'state-supported' schools. Would that include CCOM? Also, since I am a current Arizona resident, would I be eligible for the state tuition breaks at any other state besides Arizona? Does that mean that after finishing med school I would be required to pay back time to that state's guard, or could I return back to Arizona? I wasn't clear on all this.

Hi all,

I have been reading through all the pages of this thread... which has given me some solid information, but I still have more questions. I have no military experience.

I am currently applying to several DO schools for this fall's matriculation. As far as the state's tuition policies (which I was looking at on the My Army Benefits' page), are all DO schools covered as 'state-supported' schools? I thought 'state-supported' meant public universities...?

For instance, let's say that I get accepted at both AZCOM and CCOM. Illinois pays 100% tuition for it's 'state-supported' schools. Would that include CCOM? Also, since I am a current Arizona resident, would I be eligible for the state tuition breaks at any other state besides Arizona? Does that mean that after finishing med school I would be required to pay back time to that state's guard, or could I return back to Arizona? I wasn't clear on all this.

No one here can answer that question. You need to call the VA Benefits department for your state (just google it) that you're apply to school and ask whether it'll work.

When looking at Army benefits, I think it's important that we keep in mind that we will not be Active Duty for three years. We will be ADSW (Active Duty Special Work). We are not active duty Army, we are activated National Guard. What's more, we are not activated for deployment, we are activated stateside by personal choice.

Any benefit that has a requirement of a certain amount of time in the Army as active duty should probably be seen as a maybe until someone from ASR actually gets it. Any benefit described for National Guardsmen with a certain amount of activated time should be seen as a maybe until someone who was activated by choice (a la ADSW) actually gets it.

I'm one of the biggest cheerleaders of the ASR program, but from talking to my recruiter, when I ask about a lot of those benefits requiring active duty, the reaction is a shrug or "probably". Most of those benefits are designed either for actual active duty Army folks and some are designed for National Guardsmen who are activated for deployment. ASR is too new to have anyone actually apply for and get approval/rejection for many of these benefits. Until we do, or get those benefits guaranteed in writing, think of them as a nice possibility down the road.

Again, big cheerleader of ASR, but do not take it based on any tuition payment or VA benefits designed for active duty or deployed Guardsmen. That may be a disappointment. The service to your country and nice chunk of salary during med school should be enough incentive. If you need more than that, think long and hard before signing.

I was told by my state's Education office that deployment time is what is going to qualify you for the NEW GI Bill. ADOS wouldn't. She did say that the fine details of the new GI Bill aren't out yet so that could change but she didn't think it would.

I agree with you notdeadyet. I don't think these things should be the reason you join, but once in you should explore all these things and know what benefits are available.

If I haven't yet said it in this thread then I'll say it now. Don't join the military for the money.

And while I'm at it I'll share some advice I got from a 16 year AD Army physician:
"The only advice would be to learn the army stuff as best you can. I started out as a mercenary. I ignored the army stuff for many years, and found life was easier once I accepted being an officer and a doctor, rather than being a doctor who happened to be in the army. Being in the military turns out to be a unifying American experience. If you live over seas, it widens your worldview. Forever."

Some more advice that came from an officer I spoke with before joining went something like this: There's a lot of benefits to the guard but don't come in with too high of expectations or you will become frustrated when things don't work out. You can count on things in your contract. Policy's can change. You have to manage your own career in the military and be proactive about promotions and benefits.

Last edited:
Anyone in the PA guard know how much they will pay for tuition at medical school besides the $4500 federal grant? The recuirter on the phone said they will match what they pay for state schools which is $6000 a year but she sounded confuse. Anyone in the PA guard can confirm this? Also what about foreign language pay? I thought every member of the guard was eligible for up to $500 a month but the girl on the phone said no.

I also wanted to know how soon I can do OBC to get promoted to 1st lt. I graduated a year early so I got nothing to do this year, could I do OBC before med school starts if I finish my paperwork early?

I also wanted to know how soon I can do OBC to get promoted to 1st lt. I graduated a year early so I got nothing to do this year, could I do OBC before med school starts if I finish my paperwork early?

I imagine so, but don't count on anything being done early. I think the promotion to 1LT also has to do with time-in-grade though (as in OBLC alone is not enough to send you to 1LT).

I'm also working on this issue. I'm going to get a clarification once my packet is all done. It's currently getting approved by AMEDD.

I think the promotion to 1LT also has to do with time-in-grade though (as in OBLC alone is not enough to send you to 1LT).
Right. Attendance at OBLC is a prerequisite for promotion to O-2. Another prerequisite is 18 months time-in-grade (just shortened recently from 2 years).

What about third and fourth years who take ASR, who will graduate and therefore be promoted to O-3 without having gone to OBLC? Many of them anyway. I was told it was preferred but not required.

What about third and fourth years who take ASR, who will graduate and therefore be promoted to O-3 without having gone to OBLC? Many of them anyway. I was told it was preferred but not required.
I'll defer to smarter people, but I thought I read once that you were ineligible for promotion until you'd finished OBLC. Whether or not that applies to the O-3 bump, I'm not sure.

Any reason you can't do it as a fourth year elective? I'm a bit peeved, as my school is not counting it or Flight Surgery as clinical electives and therefore comes out of my vacation/any-rotation pool. If anyone was able to convince their school otherwise, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

I'd like to go to OBLC as soon as possible in fourth year. I'm going to feel a bit like a fraud wearing a uniform and rank with exactly 0 military officer training.

By the way, does anyone know if we're required to attend C4 and what the timing needs to be? I'm fresh out of elective time for fourth year....

Here is what I signed said about O-3:

I hereby agree to accept an appointment in the Medical Corps upon graduation from medical school, in the rank, as specified by NGR 600-100 and AR 135-101, usually Captain. I understand that I will be required to provide the Army National Guard with a copy of my medical diploma and a letter verifying acceptance in an Intern or Resident Program.

So I guess I'd have to look to see if either of those regs say anything specifically about OBLC and the move up from 2LT. I had a discussion with my recruiter and that when she stated that while OBLC is preferred, it is not necessary that you go in order to promote to CPT. If that is in fact true, why would you go as a fourth year, when you'll most likely just be promoted when you graduate anyway? And am I smoking crack, or do you need to be a 1LT at all to be a CPT? I don't know why I think you don't...

I think maybe if a school bucks you with regard to going during 4th year, maybe a letter from your command commending them on how much support they have shown you during this process might help? Or a call to your local legislator?

So I guess I'd have to look to see if either of those regs say anything specifically about OBLC and the move up from 2LT. I had a discussion with my recruiter and that when she stated that while OBLC is preferred, it is not necessary that you go in order to promote to CPT. If that is in fact true, why would you go as a fourth year, when you'll most likely just be promoted when you graduate anyway? And am I smoking crack, or do you need to be a 1LT at all to be a CPT? I don't know why I think you don't.

I was told at OBLC that I would automatically be promoted to O-3 on graduation from med school and that I didn't need OBLC...they told me that AFTER I got there! And I will go straight from 2LT to CPT.

As far as going during fourth year, you'll never have more time than in your fourth year...and it is mandatory to go eventually.

Furthermore, to get promoted to Major there is another class you have to complete. It's what people in my unit call "the Captain's Course". I believe it is now called BOLC.

Furthermore, to get promoted to Major there is another class you have to complete. It's what people in my unit call "the Captain's Course". I believe it is now called BOLC.

I was told docs don't have to go to this.

I was told docs don't have to go to this.

We may both be correct. You don't have to go...unless you want to make major.

I'll worry about it on the other side of med school.

I also wanted to know if we get the drill pay plus the active duty pay for the first 3 years? If so, how much is the drill pay every month? Thanks.

I also wanted to know if we get the drill pay plus the active duty pay for the first 3 years? If so, how much is the drill pay every month? Thanks.

No, you don't get drill pay while on ADOS/ADSW, that would be called 'double-dipping' and is a no-no.

We may both be correct. You don't have to go...unless you want to make major.

I'll worry about it on the other side of med school.

I think you will get major with time in grade regardless. That "captain's career course" is a long school, like a year or so, it's not a 4 week gig. I don't think it's required for docs.

I think you will get major with time in grade regardless. That "captain's career course" is a long school, like a year or so, it's not a 4 week gig. I don't think it's required for docs.
It's a year of online independent study for Phase 1.

After that, you do in-person training for Phase 2. For active duty, it's a 9 week course. For Reserves/NG, it's a 2 week course.

It's a year of online independent study for Phase 1.

After that, you do in-person training for Phase 2. For active duty, it's a 9 week course. For Reserves/NG, it's a 2 week course.

That's not bad...they still told me at OBLC that you didn't need it. Hard to tell, I'm not really concerned about it at this point.

That's not bad...they still told me at OBLC that you didn't need it. Hard to tell, I'm not really concerned about it at this point.
Yeah, I was just posting info about the course. I have no idea if it's required for O-4 or not.

I'm looking about as far as next month these days...

This is the response I received from the officer recruiter:

"Once you get accepted into AMEDD as a medical student you'll be commissioned into the MSC. At that point you 'may' be eligible to go to the 9-10 week MSC OBC at Fort Sam. However, upon graduation you'll be put into the MC whose OBC is more like 2-3 weeks. If it is something you really want to pursue, you can talk to your UA after commissioning."

This really makes no sense, because I though that there were ASR folks on this board, who have gone to the 3 week OBC and have not yet graduated from med school. Am I right or have these guys already graduated?

"Once you get accepted into AMEDD as a medical student you'll be commissioned into the MSC.
True.
At that point you 'may' be eligible to go to the 9-10 week MSC OBC at Fort Sam. However, upon graduation you'll be put into the MC whose OBC is more like 2-3 weeks.
The OBLC that you go to is the one for National Guard/Reserve AMEDD officers. It's 26 days (counting processing).
This really makes no sense, because I though that there were ASR folks on this board, who have gone to the 3 week OBC and have not yet graduated from med school. Am I right or have these guys already graduated?
No, there are ASR folks who've posted on this board who have already gone to the 3-1/2 week OBLC who are current medical students. Those of us in the pipeline have also been told about the 3-1/2 week OBLC.

Is your recruiter thinking of the OBLC for HPSP students? Regardless, it sounds like your recruiter is giving you bad info. Anything else s/he tells you that sounds dodgy or too-good-to-be-true you'd be wise to post here.

True.

The OBLC that you go to is the one for National Guard/Reserve AMEDD officers. It's 26 days (counting processing).

No, there are ASR folks who've posted on this board who have already gone to the 3-1/2 week OBLC who are current medical students. Those of us in the pipeline have also been told about the 3-1/2 week OBLC.

Is your recruiter thinking of the OBLC for HPSP students? Regardless, it sounds like your recruiter is giving you bad info. Anything else s/he tells you that sounds dodgy or too-good-to-be-true you'd be wise to post here.

That's what I thought. As long as I know the class number, I can always look it up and have my UA sign me up for the course. Easy does it.

By the way, for future reference, to sign up for courses, your unit will go on ATRRS (Army Training Requirements And Resource System). I checked it out and found the section that deals with the OBLC. Here it is: https://atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/cour...title=AMEDD+OFFICER+BASIC+(RC)+(OBLC)&phase=2

Last edited:
That's what I thought. As long as I know the class number, I can always look it up and have my UA sign me up for the course. Easy does it.

By the way, for future reference, to sign up for courses, your unit will go on ATRRS (Army Training Requirements And Resource System). I checked it out and found the section that deals with the OBLC. Here it is: https://atrrs.army.mil/atrrscc/cour...title=AMEDD+OFFICER+BASIC+(RC)+(OBLC)&phase=2

Anything your recruiter tells you should be verified preferably with an official published regulation. Double and triple check conflicting information.

Heres a perfect example: I was very curious what my MSO would be since I have 8 years of service already. I emailed the POC, Major Law, on the LOI for the ASR program and he told me I would not incur an MSO due to prior service. One recruiter in the Midwest, Capt Wilson, told me that the 8 years enlisted did not count once I was commissioned, so I would get a new MSO of 8 years. Finally, the recruiter I am working with in Florida, Capt Elliott, confirmed what the Maj Law had said initially and he provided the regulation governing ASR's MSOs to back it up. See 3c in that regulation and let me know if you can figure out what my contractual obligation will be. Just do your homework and anything that worries you, get in print!

I agree with what others have said here. The OBLC RC course is for the ASR participants (and others in the Guard/Reserves) and runs 25 days. NotDeadYet posted a link and if you click on the part for RC Comp OBLC, it will take you the page with all the relevant information about the program.

I'm hoping to get in to the 9 Apr 09 class. I know it's wishful thinking but, I'm going to try and make it happen. I may be a little old school but I think the sooner you can get some official military indoctrination the better. I have years of Air Guard experience and I'm itching to get into the Army OBLC before starting M1 just to get a real read of how the Army does things.

As far as the advanced course goes, this is what I've seen. You are not required to have graduated from the advanced course to get promoted to Major - there is a Major in my NG unit who recently graduated from the flight surgeon course at Fort Rucker but has still not gone to the advanced course yet. I've even heard of some O-5's and O-6's that have never gone. The course itself requires two weeks of independent study followed by two weeks at Fort Sam at some point in the year following completion of the online material. At least that was the requirement when I signed up for it in October.

Anything your recruiter tells you should be verified preferably with an official published regulation. Double and triple check conflicting information.

Heres a perfect example: I was very curious what my MSO would be since I have 8 years of service already. I emailed the POC, Major Law, on the LOI for the ASR program and he told me I would not incur an MSO due to prior service. One recruiter in the Midwest, Capt Wilson, told me that the 8 years enlisted did not count once I was commissioned, so I would get a new MSO of 8 years. Finally, the recruiter I am working with in Florida, Capt Elliott, confirmed what the Maj Law had said initially and he provided the regulation governing ASR's MSOs to back it up. See 3c in that regulation and let me know if you can figure out what my contractual obligation will be. Just do your homework and anything that worries you, get in print!

I agree with what others have said here. The OBLC RC course is for the ASR participants (and others in the Guard/Reserves) and runs 25 days. NotDeadYet posted a link and if you click on the part for RC Comp OBLC, it will take you the page with all the relevant information about the program.

I'm hoping to get in to the 9 Apr 09 class. I know it's wishful thinking but, I'm going to try and make it happen. I may be a little old school but I think the sooner you can get some official military indoctrination the better. I have years of Air Guard experience and I'm itching to get into the Army OBLC before starting M1 just to get a real read of how the Army does things.

I've been in the Army for 7 years on (going onto my 8th year), so I've been in long enough to question people. By the way, I plan on getting into the April class myself. I told my UA to see if he can sign me up for that course.

I've been in the Army for 7 years on (going onto my 8th year), so I've been in long enough to question people. By the way, I plan on getting into the April class myself. I told my UA to see if he can sign me up for that course.

So are you already boarded and good to go with the ASR program?

Were you prior active Army or prior Army Guard?

My packet is getting approved by USAREC. It got kicked back 3 times for not having enough paperwork...pain in the ass.

I've been in the ARNG for the past 7 years with over 2 years of active time.

So are you already boarded and good to go with the ASR program?

Were you prior active Army or prior Army Guard?

I also have completed my MSO already, and was also told that I would not incur an additional 8 years. However, something I found is that if you have done any of your MSO, taking a commission incurs a 2 year contract or the remainder of your MSO, whichever is longer. I haven't checked that reg posted above to verify if it came from there or not, or if that applies if your MSO is COMPLETELY done.

ETA: That reg above is what my recruiter sent me after she asked around and found it, due to my skepticism that I had NO obligation whatsoever. I read 3c to mean that if you have done all 8 yrs of an MSO, you have a 2 yr contract if you take a commission as an AMEDD officer. However, if you are taking ASR early enough, you're free and clear before you go to residency anyway. This is all dependent on not taking any schools longer than OBLC though. Anything longer gets time added.

Last edited:
I also have completed my MSO already, and was also told that I would not incur an additional 8 years. However, something I found is that if you have done any of your MSO, taking a commission incurs a 2 year contract or the remainder of your MSO, whichever is longer. I haven't checked that reg posted above to verify if it came from there or not, or if that applies if your MSO is COMPLETELY done.

ETA: That reg above is what my recruiter sent me after she asked around and found it, due to my skepticism that I had NO obligation whatsoever. I read 3c to mean that if you have done all 8 yrs of an MSO, you have a 2 yr contract if you take a commission as an AMEDD officer. However, if you are taking ASR early enough, you're free and clear before you go to residency anyway. This is all dependent on not taking any schools longer than OBLC though. Anything longer gets time added.

As far as I'm aware, if you've already completed your MSO, then signing up to be an officer does not incur an additional service obligation, because it's not like a reinlistment where you sign up for 6 more years, per say. My MSO ends this coming December, and I reinlisted for last year to stay in the NG (instead of going to the IRR), so my obligation to the national guard is still until December of 2013. I still have finish that obligation, even though I become an officer.