Army Pharmacist and Future Job Outlook

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kray378

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am new to this forum, but I am an aspiring pharmacist still in high school. I know there are several threads about the military and job outlooks, but I have a few specific questions about it. I believe I have read that the Army will require you to complete a year of residency at one of its facilities before you can be a full fledged pharmacist for them. Does this year count for for civilian jobs such as work in hospitals? Would being a pharmacist in the military help with getting a job? (I know about all the new school opening and there not being enough jobs) Any answers and personal experience are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

I am new to this forum, but I am an aspiring pharmacist still in high school. I know there are several threads about the military and job outlooks, but I have a few specific questions about it. I believe I have read that the Army will require you to complete a year of residency at one of its facilities before you can be a full fledged pharmacist for them. Does this year count for for civilian jobs such as work in hospitals? Would being a pharmacist in the military help with getting a job? (I know about all the new school opening and there not being enough jobs) Any answers and personal experience are welcome and appreciated. Thank you.

Always nice to meet an on the ball HSer. The Army doesn't require a residency as far as I know, but if you did one it certainly would count for civilian jobs as well.

The next part confuses me a little. Do you mean would it help you get a job after you are out of the military? I would say yes, the military offers an experience that no other employer can. Every employer wants people with leadership positions and the military gives you this in spades.

It's good to keep your eyes on the road, but I recommend taking it one step at a time. Can you get a job in a pharmacy now? That would serve you really, really well in the future if you continue to pursue pharmacy after HS.

Oh and I guess I should give you the obligatory warning that by the time you would graduate from pharmacy school there will only be 2 jobs and they go to the bosses favorite. Sorry. On the plus side, you will be the highest educated welfare recipient on the plant.

The next part confuses me a little. Do you mean would it help you get a job after you are out of the military? I would say yes, the military offers an experience that no other employer can. Every employer wants people with leadership positions and the military gives you this in spades.

Yes, pretty much what I meant. Thanks for the quick response. That's encouraging news.

Really, I have never thought that a high schooler could get a job in a pharmacy, but considering the only ones around here are the big retail ones, I don't know if that's an option.

Oh and I guess I should give you the obligatory warning that by the time you would graduate from pharmacy school there will only be 2 jobs and they go to the bosses favorite. Sorry. On the plus side, you will be the highest educated welfare recipient on the plant.

Haha, I expect practically every other person to say something like this. Seems to be a lot of pessimism in the field.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, pretty much what I meant. Thanks for the quick response. That's encouraging news.

Really, I have never thought that a high schooler could get a job in a pharmacy, but considering the only ones around here are the big retail ones, I don't know if that's an option.

Haha, I expect practically every other person to say something like this. Seems to be a lot of pessimism in the field.

You are welcome.

It will depend on your state what the age cutoff for techs will be. If you can't work find out about shadowing or volunteering. Anyway GL.

No not the field, just these boards. I can't find people in real life as pessimistic as some SDNers. It is what it is.

You are welcome.

It will depend on your state what the age cutoff for techs will be. If you can't work find out about shadowing or volunteering. Anyway GL.

No not the field, just these boards. I can't find people in real life as pessimistic as some SDNers. It is what it is.

I'm 17, so I imagine I wouldn't be able to be hired anywhere yet. I do plan on volunteering at a hospital during my summer break and am taking a medical internship class next year, which lets me leave school for an hour or so to be an intern somewhere.

That's reassuring, because these boards make it seem like working at McDonald's is a better choice.

I'm 17, so I imagine I wouldn't be able to be hired anywhere yet. I do plan on volunteering at a hospital during my summer break and am taking a medical internship class next year, which lets me leave school for an hour or so to be an intern somewhere.

That's reassuring, because these boards make it seem like working at McDonald's is a better choice.

Once you are 18, you are golden as far as work is concerned.

You could get a job at McD's?! Jump on that! Free refills, one free uniform, Drive-thru, that place has it all! And unlike pharmacy, it's not saturated at all!