Army ROTC, Scholarship and Physical Requirements

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

reluctantoptimism

Shrews and Trucks
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering joining my school's ROTC because I want to serve my country in the future and I'm interested in the tuition scholarship. My grades and ECs are good but I'm concerned about the physical standards for ROTC. I've always been a large frame dude whose kinda pudgy and I think I I would not meet the weight requirement. Would I have any hope of joining ROTC and being awarded a scholarship?

Members don't see this ad.

interesting. appears we are drawing some younger clientele nowadays.

hope? there is always hope. it's what separates humans from animals, and what led the rebels to victory against the empire. thank god for bothan spies and what was likely a government contractor death star design.

simple answer is that to get the scholarship you have to meet certain standards. so your decision may be made for you.

the longer answer:

physical performance standards no not necessarily equate with height/weight standards. while they may typically trend similarly, they can be mutually exclusive. if you score well on the APFT (pushups/situps/2 mi run) chances are good you will be ok for weight. however, if you don't make the weight requirements you will be "taped." this is a quasi-scientific, outdated and inaccurate system of measuring body fat percentage. yes, we have impedance and calipers and the like but the army likes this non evidence based arbitrary system of taping your "neck" and "waist" (and "hips" if you are a female) with a handheld tailor's measuring tape. i know people who pass the APFT without fail and from a "functional" fitness perspective would wipe the floor with the stickly folks out there. but they still have issues with this. the concern most males have if you are a fitness fanatic is well founded but most of the time your neck will save you. if you find it is a struggle, you will be stressed out twice a year hoping you get a non-vengeful person measuring you. if you fail it's a "flag" and can lead to lack of promotion, favorable things like certain pays and the like, and enrollment in the weight control program.

good luck. i did ROTC and HPSP and in retrospect my ROTC time was valuable-- though i do regret missing some college experiences because i had either PT the next morning or field training going on.

--your friendly neighborhood never been taped but still thinks it's a ****ty system caveman

Reactions: 1 user
hope? there is always hope. it's what separates humans from animals, and what led the rebels to victory against the empire. thank god for bothan spies and what was likely a government contractor death star design.

In Grand Moff Tarkin's defense he probably had little choice but to initiate cost savings measures including contracting out the thermal exhaust port construction to the lowest bidder in the developing Outer Rim systems. The Death Star probably pissed off everyone in the Imperial Accountability Office, went over budget, and constant delays due to optimistic forecasting, untested technology, and sabotage efforts by those "backwater malcontents". Plus don't forget the costs of rebuilding the galaxy following the Clone Wars, implementing and maintaining the humanocentric xenophobic Human High Culture social policies, dealing with the consequences of eliminating a religious order that provided a huge stabilization factor across the galaxy and you have created a recipe that would force anyone to cut corners for the sake of completion.

But oh boy was this next generation of space platforms sexy! It was stealthier, bigger, possessed superluminal capabilities, housed more weapon systems than any similar platform. It is powered by engines that rivals a star, and its systems are all integrated with state-of-the-art sensor fusion technology that can deal with any evolution of the operational battle space. The helmsmen are also equipped with specialized helmet displays that gives them an unprecedented 41,253 square degrees view of their surroundings. For the Imperial Marines, there was a planned VTOL capable version. And of course, the planetary annihilation weapon and the fear it will spread across the galaxy!

Sigh...what a waste of 1.7 quintillion dollars.

Ah how is this relevant to OP...uh...yes I agree with Dr. Caveman there is hope. Find a physically fit buddy and start learning how to be physically active plus maintain a well balanced diet. With dedication it should take a few months. Heck the military took me in and I use to be the fat kid in my class.